Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conflicting info!

I'm 4 months post VSG. I haven't lost any weight in 1 month. I am going crazy... I know that stalls are common, however I have no idea how much I should be eating. Different surgeons in the same office have given me different ideas of how many calories I should eat. MFP says 1800 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week, but that doesn't take into account that I had WLS...

Typical Menu:

Breakfast - 1 egg omelet with turkey sausage and cheese

lunch - Leftovers from dinner, usually just some type of Protein

dinner - Protein (chicken tenders, beef roast, shrimp)

I don't snack or eat carbs. And I drink 50 oz of Water daily...

If I get different information all the time, what's a girl to do?

I want to break this stall so bad!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sometimes you need to confuse your body. Taking in lower calories and low to no carbs makes the body think it's starving and stores the food so to speak. Occasionally it's good to have a day where you eat what you normally wouldn't, like some Pasta or something. It triggers the body to think differently and then the weight lose restarts

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

EEEEK! I definitely wouldn't advise eating pastaa at four months out. Nope.

I had 2 tablespoons if Pasta directed by my nutritionist. I had not enough calories and food intake and my body was in starvation mode. I'm not suggesting anyone eat anything without consulting their physician. This is what I was instructed to do and it worked well for me

Have at it, but **I** wouldn't recommend it to someone at four months out. ;)

I'm 4 months post VSG. I haven't lost any weight in 1 month. I am going crazy... I know that stalls are common, however I have no idea how much I should be eating. Different surgeons in the same office have given me different ideas of how many calories I should eat. MFP says 1800 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week, but that doesn't take into account that I had WLS...

Typical Menu:

Sometimes you need to confuse your body. Taking in lower calories and low to no carbs makes the body think it's starving and stores the food so to speak. Occasionally it's good to have a day where you eat what you normally wouldn't, like some Pasta or something. It triggers the body to think differently and then the weight lose restarts

I had 2 tablespoons if Pasta directed by my nutritionist. I had not enough calories and food intake and my body was in starvation mode. I'm not suggesting anyone eat anything without consulting their physician. This is what I was instructed to do and it worked well for me

I am 2.5 months out

Typical Menu:

I am 2.5 months out

Cool.

I am 3y4m out.

:rolleyes:

@jamielogical....I never said you have to go to the gym to lose weight! However, if after WLS if candidates are stalling....nutrition alone will never be enough. If you're not building muscle or not burning calories at a metabolic rate, you will stall. The surgeries are only a tool...you have to exercise! BTW...studies have shown those that workout with others in a group or gym setting tend to lose more weight! To each your own...mslogical!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

HAHAHAHAHA!! You realize you're disagreeing with a VERY successful WLS person who has lost beyond their excess weight AND has maintained it AND is running marathons, right?

And losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise, know it all. I've seen people who have had surgery lose all their weight with no exercise at all.

How do you explain that, professor?

@@debd80,

Sorry about the stall. They are so aggravating! It looks like you are eating nothing but Protein and fat; don’t forget that your body needs some carbohydrates, too. I think the general recommendation for four months post-op is around 1,200 calories, so you might want to count up and see how close to that you are getting.

If you are not logging and measuring your food, I would try that, too. It’s easy for bigger portions to sneak in extra calories without even realizing it!

As a general health issue, and possibly helpful for weight loss, would be to drink more Water. The general minimum is 64 ounces, with more needed if you are trying to lose weight, and more needed if you are exercising.

Do you exercise? That can help a little with weight loss, and also make you feel more energetic and confident, and look stronger and more toned.

It’s hard to know since you didn’t post it, but it’s possible your body may be responding to very rapid weight loss earlier. Did you lose a lot of weight in the first 3 months after surgery? Sometimes a plateau is just your body’s way of catching up.

I know it’s frustrating, but hang in there. Just keep doing what you know is right, and keep in mind that “right” includes a range of possibilities. Whether you’re eating 1,000 or 1,500 calories, or getting in 70 or 100 grams of Protein, as long as you are following a strict meal plan that worked for you up until this point, you will eventually start losing weight again. Good luck!

Thank you for the kind worlds. I did lose most of my weight in the first 2 months. I understand stalls are normal, but such a long one is playing games with my head. Hopefully it'll break soon...

@jamielogical....I never said you have to go to the gym to lose weight! However, if after WLS if candidates are stalling....nutrition alone will never be enough. If you're not building muscle or not burning calories at a metabolic rate, you will stall. The surgeries are only a tool...you have to exercise! BTW...studies have shown those that workout with others in a group or gym setting tend to lose more weight! To each your own...mslogical!

Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process of losing weight.

Your thesis is flawed in that anyone who intends to lose a significant amount of weight WILL experience stalls.

Your premise that "If WLS candidates are stalling..." they must work out is flawed.

Working out and building muscle is a good idea and helpful, but it will never make anyone immune from stalls.

Haven't read all the replies yet so pardon me if this is repetitive, but I think you need to add FAT, not more Protein or carbs to your diet. When you add more Protein your body treats it just like carbs - it stimulates insulin to store it as fat in your liver, whereas fat is burned directly. Yes, they need to be healthy fats, but that includes saturated fat as well. Research is now confirming what our grandparents knew instinctively, that fat from healthy meat (grass-fed, not grain-fed) and saturated fatty oils are much better than the polyunsaturated garbage that has been the mainstay of our diet for the last 30 years. Coconut oil, MCT oil, butter from grass-fed cows, duck fat, the skin off truly free-range chickens.

Of course as WLS patients we have to modify things a bit from typical keto/LCHF simply b/c we can't eat nearly the volumes others can. But I would go back to your previous level of protein, increase your Water, and just add 100 calories of pure fat - try Bulletproof coffee for a yummy way, or make coconut fat bombs as a treat. (Google, there are tons of recipes for both)

HAHAHAHAHA!! You realize you're disagreeing with a VERY successful WLS person who has lost beyond their excess weight AND has maintained it AND is running marathons, right?

And losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise, know it all. I've seen people who have had surgery lose all their weight with no exercise at all.

I think exercise is critical to weight loss and maintenance, so this person wasn't even disagreeing with me, just misinterpreting my posts I think? I just ran a full marathon on the 18th. Clearly I'm a big proponent of physical fitness!

Nutrition is definitely where it's at for weight loss, because it's the best way to create a significant caloric deficit. But exercise is critical for keeping your metabolism up, preventing muscle loss, and I HIGHLY recommend it in maintenance for keeping your weight in check.

And exercise can come in MANY forms. I like running. Some people like classes. Some people like fitness DVDs. Some people like team sports. Everyone needs to figure out what they enjoy, what they can keep up with, and what motivates them.

I think exercise is critical to weight loss and maintenance, so this person wasn't even disagreeing with me, just misinterpreting my posts I think? I just ran a full marathon on the 18th. Clearly I'm a big proponent of physical fitness!

Nutrition is definitely where it's at for weight loss, because it's the best way to create a significant caloric deficit. But exercise is critical for keeping your metabolism up, preventing muscle loss, and I HIGHLY recommend it in maintenance for keeping your weight in check.

And exercise can come in MANY forms. I like running. Some people like classes. Some people like fitness DVDs. Some people like team sports. Everyone needs to figure out what they enjoy, what they can keep up with, and what motivates them.

This person pretty much said, if you don't exercise, your weight loss will stall out. The also stated that if you don't exercise, you won't lose the weight you desire. Both are false.

Obviously I'm not encouraging people to not exercise, as I have been very physically active and have exercised going on 2 years now and probably am the most physically fit I've ever been. I also probably have the lowest body fat % I've ever had. But I've seen people who have done little to no exercise lose all their excess weight, and people who exercise stall all the time and NOT lose their weight. That was more my point.

@@Babbs Yeah, I think there has definitely been some miscommunication in this thread, which probably hasn't helped the poor OP who had already received conflicting info. Hopefully the gist has managed to come across. There are exceptions to every rule and everyone has to find their own path.

But, in general, for the highest chances of success:

• Drink your Water (at least 64 oz. a day)
  • Get your Protein in (85-100 grams per day ideally)
  • Take your Vitamins
  • Keep carbs low (hopefully will come naturally from meeting Protein goals)
  • Eat enough calories to fuel your activity level (too few and you slow your metabolism)
  • Stay active (whatever that means for you, get up and move your body regularly)
  • Figure out what works for you! (our bodies are as unique as finger prints and while there are general guidelines to follow, only you can figure out what will work for you long term!)

I just want to thank all of you for commenting. I took everyone's suggestions to heart: I added more Protein, increased my Water, and reduced my carb intake even more. And, I'm happy to say, I stepped on the scale this morning and lost 2.4 lbs! You don't know how awesome it was to see the scale move after a month of NOTHING. For the last two days I've been eating no more than 20g of carbs a day, and honestly, I think that's what did it. But everything you guys suggested was so helpful! Hopefully the numbers continue to go down :) Thanks again!!

Edited by debd80