Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lifters- How do you work your macros?

I think I am very interested in beginning weight lifting. I'm not much of a straight cardio girl and weights have always been something I've wanted to try. Since I have fallen off track with my sleeve diet and such i need something to refocus me.

I'm looking at lifting info and there is a lot of focus on macro nutrients for muscle building. I'm wanting to really do this, but how do you work macros when you can't eat more than 1 cup at a time?

Also, is it wise to see a bariatric dietician for these issues, or should I see the dietician at my gym for help?

I do Crossfit but haven't changed any of my diet needs since being sleeved 2 years ago. I am going to follow this to see if anyone else has input.

~LA

Weight lifting is such a broad term and honestly overused term that it is hard to understand what a person means when they say it. When I say it, I mean lifting weights at the limit of my strength currently in order to overload the muscles and cause enough stress to force my body to become stronger. When my wife says it, she just means comfortable weights moved to gain endurance.

If you are more interested in my wife's idea of weight lifting, you probably only need the normal recommended macros for a bariatric patient. 60-80 grams of Protein, ditto for complex carbs and then some healthy fats. 1200-1700 calories for a goal weight of 170.

If you are looking to actually gain strength, you are going to be looking at 1700-2200 calories and a Protein intake up to 150 grams. Complex carbs are still needed, but we are going to need more protein as a % since we are dealing with restricted stomachs. Fats are of course essential, but they have to be good fats! Milk fat in yogurt or regular milk as well as nuts and avacado as an example.

Following.....I am a triathloner, not sure what I'll be come winter, but that's beside the point. I'm always trying to tweak things as well. I'm at 2,000 k a day and my goal is 150 grams of Protein.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

yes, BigViffer, YOUR idea is more what I had in mind.

I would love to gain serious strength and muscle. Like SERIOUS toning. i used to go to a pretty awesome gym back in my college days and the guys/gals that were there doing heavy lifting were quite intriguing! I've always found the models on the cover of Oxygen magazine way more awesome than the ones on Vogue. My husband would also like to get started, although I don't think he wants to go as hard core as me.

I'm not sure though, like I said, if I should return to my bari dietician or if the one at my gym would be more suitable??? I just don't think my bari dietician would have much idea about WHAT is required for that particular lifestyle, but the one at my gym may not understand my serious limits of my stomach (i can only eat a little over a cup at a time).

My bariatric nutritionist has been a big help for me adjusting my calorie and macro goals.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Consider yourself lucky @@Ryan TN, my nutritionist was worthless. I say "was" because I stopped going to her after my 2nd post op meeting with her. I was better informed and prepared for our meetings then she ever was. Even my surgeon would roll his eyes whenever I mentioned this particular nutritionist.

@@mi75 - I am also not a fan of the people who work at gyms. Whether it is a trainer or a nutritionist, I find they are more concerned with baiting the hook than helping people with lifestyle changes. Sure, they'll be hot to sell you on energy bars or devise a routine to give you "six-pack abs in 2 weeks!" , but giving you a platform for a lifetime of safe and healthy fitness? Not likely in my experience.

Two areas I was fortunate in;

1 - my surgeon and his staff. Both my surgeon and one of his assistants are lifters. They are the ones that I would pick their brain about diet.

2 - In regards to supplements, I go to The Vitamin Shoppe and there is one employee who is a fitness instructor as part time retail employee. What makes her special is that she doesn't push expensive brands and flashy marketed products. Tried and true whey Protein and maybe creatine monohydrate. Wanna know what the best whey Protein supplement is? It's the one that you will actually use. Isolate, concentrate, blended... doesn't matter. Just as long as you use it.

Your focus on diet should be like a prescription. You need protein, eat meat and supplement with whey. Need complex carbs? Figure out how much and eat that much in oats or shredded wheat. Get some prunes or benefiber to up the Fiber content. Think of food as a prescription and just something that needs to be done. Not every meal needs to be a three course meal or dripping with savory goodness. It just needs to fuel your activities.

I eat 2 meals a day (lunch & dinner), but I snack every 2 hours or thereabouts. Breakfast is usually just a Protein Bar.

Your macros depend on your goal. Are you dieting, building, etc. I always aim for 1 gram of Protein per pound of goal weight. When cutting (dieting) I reduce carbs and up fats. When I am bulking (building muscle), I up carbs and cut fat. Try this calculator: https://www.katyhearnfit.com/macro-calculator.html%C2'> From there, tweak your ratios based on what you know regarding your maintenance calories, etc. For example using BigViffers macros of 170 Protein and 1700-2200 calories, I would gain weight. To lose I need to hit around 1200-1350 calories. Set your macros in My Fitness Pal or similar and try them for three weeks. If they are getting you the desired outcome, stick with them. If not, then adjust.

Great thread. Just saw my RD, who I consider a valuable source, yesterday. When reviewing my Protein totals over the last week, I was over the "suggested Bariatric amount" for 3 days. Knowing how much I exercise, she was fine with that. This lead to a discussion on weight training, lifting, etc.

Before switching to Bariatrics, she worked with elite athletes. The long and short of our conversation was - if you are simply using weight for good muscle tone and simple strength, normal Protein targets are fine. If you're planning on building up to KEEP pushing the limits of your strength and endurance further and further, protein intake targets need to increase to meet your body's needs.

I think @@BigViffer is completely on point.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am only lifting for some strength and definination. I would rather lift weights than have plastic surgery for sagging body parts. I found that the free website http://www.iifym.com gives me great macro breakdowns and calorie goals.

Anyone hear of reverse dieting - adding example 70 calories per week with the carb take increase to fix a metabolism to begin building my muscle

Yes I've heard of it. I think Lane Norton is big on it.

I've been lifting for a good year and the results are phenom. What has helped me is getting 4 - 5 oz of Protein with every new which is roughly 4 to 6 meals depending on the day. I'm not big on cardio but I do manage about 20 minutes 3x a week. Although I lost over 215lbs since surgery the heavy lifting and splitting my body work out over 6 days has done wonders. Read read read. Find support as you already have here. And remember what works for one may or work for you. But what is true, adequate Protein is needed to build and repair muscle. Give it time and trust the process.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Following this for sure!

happy Llama sad Llama... big fat mama Llama.