Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How have your taste buds changed?

They tell us that we may notice some changes with our taste buds, so I'm curious what, if anything, changed for you?

For me, I've always liked spicy food, but I could either take it or leave it. Now I want to swim in a giant bowl of Siracha. Maybe it's because of the minuscule amount of food that makes me want the maximum amount of flavor? A quarter cup of refried Beans covered in Siracha....yum! I need help...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I will get back to you on this when I can finally eat. Still on full liquids, but I can't wait to give my taste buds a good go!

I don't think so. But I can't say I'm enjoying any food right now. Six weeks out. Taking little bites of whatever and chewing until it's liquid is sort of gross and so things taste differently based on consistency. I enjoy my ricotta bake and a couple of slices of liverwurst every few days.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I wouldn't say my taste has changed but I don't enjoy eating like I used to.

Had surgery on 5/27/16. I had given up my diet pop about a year prior, switched over to Powerade Zero or sugar free sweeteners. Still like my Powerade Zero and the Water sweeteners (lemonade is my go to) but the ole taste buds have changed a bit. For whatever reason since surgery, at times I will get a strange taste when drinking either (almost a egg like taste). When this happens I will take a break from drinking, it's always gone a short time latter. As for foods, I have always loved spicy/hot dishes and still do. My recent favorite is Crack Slaw, made with extra Siriachia, jalepenos, and Sweet-n-Low.

I am 3 weeks out tomorrow (9/20). I loved sweet things before surgery. Now, even the no-sugar foods taste almost too sweet to me. I used to avoid spicy. I didn't care for the taste and I had stomach issues with it. Now I like some spicy things (not into love yet) and have no issues. I was a huge fan of anything tart. That too seems overly amplified but I like that.

Everything tastes sweeter to me now, and I suddenly cannot pick up ANY aftertaste from artificial sweeteners. It's a very nice change! I used to barely tolerate sugar free Jello bc I thought the aftertaste was so disgusting.....now, it tastes like a big bowl of sugar to me. The change happened literally overnight. I love it.

I have gone off: chocolate, beef and eggs, mainly due to bad reactions to them.

I also have gone off Pasta, bread, rice, just don't need them.

For few months post op I loved my brewed black tea, now I am back on green tea.

I wish I could hate ice-cream ...... oh well, at least it is a monthly treat now :)

Early post op I craved Tomato and V8 juice, now I haven't touched them in months.

I used to hate Stevia pre-op, now I love it, and stopped using Equal months ago.

I haven't had any tastebud changes. I was worried about that before the surgery...

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I had several changes I am 6 weeks post op, first I get this yellow stain on my tongue the doc said it will go away. I have become more sensitive to sweets and salty foods. I don't really use either of them now. Oh and I cannot tolerate spice food anymore. Will see if they change in the future.

I'm 9 months post op and could eat just about anything, but I don't want many of the things I used to eat. For me things taste more - sweet, salty, spicy. I'm very selective about what I put in my precious stomach space. It took me a little longer to progress through the food levels. Take it easy, give yourself time to heal, the real food will come soon enough. I had my surgery at 70 and am so glad I did!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using the BariatricPal App

11 monts post op and there's nothing I can't have that I had before sleeve surgery.

I've found that I don't like stuff that is really sweet....either real sugar or artificial. Some of the Protein powders I like prior to surgery are overly sweet now.

I think that eating slower and chewing more is a factor in this. I truly taste foods now that I'm going at it slower.

There are certain foods that i no longer care for now that I'm post op and a couple that I can't stand for some reason: rice, cottage cheese and a couple more.

I still do hot & spicy....just tamed down a bit.

I was never a super sweet tooth to begin with but now post-op natural sugars come through tenfold. Strawberries taste like sugar bombs to me now. It's kind of nice actually.

Lots of changes:

Dislike: Pasta, melted cheese on casseroles, rice, any low sugar products

meat has become very inconsistent. I typically stick to white fish or shrimp. I can eat tofu too. Absolutely no chicken unless it is ground up or in a soup- it will make me sick. Beef is not something I really enjoy anymore.

I find myself in love with certain foods for a few days then I don't want them for a long time.

Sent from my SM-T550 using the BariatricPal App

I'm almost 2 months post op and I haven't had any taste bud changes. Although, I'm not really eating "all" the foods I used to. I have stayed away from the sweets, breads, etc, those foods I'm not supposed to have. Maybe if/when I try them I'll see something is different. However, overall, I really feel like nothing is different! I can't eat too much too fast, but I feel like other than that, I'm the same ole me and wouldn't know I had surgery.