Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I THOUGHT I was sleeved...

Keep us posted. And stand your ground!

most of the time this is just a recording error - many of the forms used in medical records have a drop down menu.

At the hospital where I work if you request your records they are mailed, not handed over, but the staff would be happy to get them to you - so be aware that the medical records staff will just be following whatever protocol - don't be alarmed if they can't just hand them over.

last year after one of my cat scans the report said the uterus was normal. I had recently had a hysterectomy and I made my oncologist have the radiologist review my report and update it. they were glad to do so, they had just clicked the wrong thing on the drop down menu. I hope that is all this is, but you do need to know for sure. I do not know why the swallow test instead of a scan? but whatever, if they need to do a test to know for sure you should NOT have to pay for it.

other than that, I hope you are feeling well and recovering nicely from your surgery.

OH MY! Have you heard anything yet?!?!?!?

SMH. This is information that should not have taken even 30 minutes to investigate. here's why. EMR. Electronic Medical records. Everything is there. Admission notes, Radiology reports, Surgical summary details, post operative summary, vitals, progress notes, Input/Output etc. I am a Registered Nurse-- worked at a center of excellence and know damn well this information is at your fingertips. Often times we receive very little information so we piece the puzzle together to obtain pertinent information that would aide us in providing OPTIMAL care for you during your inpatient stay.

I hope that this all works out for you and sorry if we seem so edgy it's just odd and my scorpio suspicions are telling me that if you haven't heard back yet-- they scrambling to clean up some kind of mess. I mean it's not like they cut off the wrong arm but still. Right patient. Right procedure. Errors can kill.

Sorry it's taken me a bit to reply; it was a busy day and I am only 5 days post-op, so I came home and took a nap! I am well, I received the sleeve procedure I expected, and there's quite a 'buzz in the beehive' in medical records. The situation will resolve in the near future, but today I had to halt the meeting because I was becoming over-stressed and developing pain. Thanks to all for your support and anger on my behalf, when I was too confused and too under-the-weather to find the strength to get mad on my own!

@@leebick

So glad you had the sleeve done, as you wanted. Yes, I can only imagine how stressful this whole situation was for you.

Glad you took your legal friend with you.

Rest up well, get better, take your pain pills and have a good recovery.

Thank you for the update!

Best wishes to you.

@@leebick

I'm glad you finally got an answer and it worked out how you wanted. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Sorry it's taken me a bit to reply; it was a busy day and I am only 5 days post-op, so I came home and took a nap! I am well, I received the sleeve procedure I expected, and there's quite a 'buzz in the beehive' in medical records. The situation will resolve in the near future, but today I had to halt the meeting because I was becoming over-stressed and developing pain. Thanks to all for your support and anger on my behalf, when I was too confused and too under-the-weather to find the strength to get mad on my own!

I'm so glad you were able to confirm that you were in fact sleeved. I hope your surgeon was at least apologetic about the coding error and the stress their mistake caused you! Good thinking bringing your lawyer friend with you!

Best wishes for a stress free, easy recovery.

Thanks for updating! Hope recovery is going well xx

Week 2 post-op is more difficult than week 1! I am walking about a mile a day, but struggling to get fluids in. It was much easier than the first week, when it really didn't feel like I had a limit to my sleeve (I was actually worrying about this). Now after a few sips, I can feel pressure in my lower chest which I think is my signal for "full." I have noticed with broth if I take a sip or 2 more after first getting the feeling, it gets rather uncomfortable. It also makes me burp and sometimes hiccup. I have not felt any indigestion or acid-y feeling with this... just gee, I think I should stop putting stuff in me! However, this makes it difficult to drink enough. I keep on sipping as frequently as I can, but it's much harder this week than last. I talked with my nut and she said don't sweat the Protein, really concentrate on the Fluid. I'm pretty sure I'm dehydrated but so far haven't had to go to the ER. I see my surgeon on Friday. I have also taken one more week off from work. I figure, I need to get this under control before I go back to a classroom of kids where my time is not my own! A colleague who had bypass last year said it's almost impossible to drink enough while teaching all day, and she actually became dehydrated after going back to work, so I'm not going to push it. I have plenty of sick time!

Bright side? I am down 18lbs since coming home from the hospital (12 days ago), and the pants that i haven't been able to wear since the summer of 2010 now zip and I can sit comfortably in them!

So here's an update. I saw my nut and then my surgeon yesterday. Both are very pleased with my progress and I've been given approval to move to mushy food. It doesn't have to be pureed, but it has to be mashed up and moist, and chewed thoroughly. Down 20lbs since surgery- YAY ME!!

While see the surgeon, I asked her if my record/file had been updated. She looked at the records she could access, and it very clearly says I was sleeved, surgical notes, path report, etc. She couldn't access the patient records that I can access through the hospital's website, so she recommended I double-check, just to be sure. When I got home last evening, I pulled up my records. It doesn't say "gastric bypass" anymore; instead, it says "Sleeve Gastrectomy with Duodenal Switch." SAY WHAT??? This group doesn't even DO DS surgery- and if I hadn't read about it here, I wouldn't have known it existed! It was after-hours so I sent an email directly to medical records, and I'll be calling them first thing Monday morning. Honestly!! This hospital is a large, regional, accredited hospital and the BWL program is considered a "Center of Excellence." Maybe not so much all the time!