Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I THOUGHT I was sleeved...

This is a Center of Excellence, and my surgeon trains other surgeons world-wide in robotic laparoscopic procedures. I thought it was a good choice! I'll get it straightened out tomorrow and post the outcome.

That's scary. I hope you really had the sleeve. Did anyone stay with you in the hospital that may have heard the doctor say sleeve or bypass while you were nervous, groggy or not feeling well and possibly missed part of the conversation?

My surgeon doesn't do bypass, so I am not worried about that mistake.

Oh wow! Please update when you find out xx

In our hospital, they ask your name about 25 times from the door to the OR, they ask what surgery are you having, over and over. It was almost comical, but with the chance of mistakes and malpractice it is an extremely necessary protocol.

I talked with the BWLS program manager and she is going to talk with the surgeon and the nurses on the floor where I stayed post-surgery. She says it's more than likely a computer glitch that they will need to figure out, but if necessary I might have to have a barium swallow so they can see that I have a sleeve and not a bypass. She said she'd get back to me later today. I am NOT going to be happy if I have to undergo and pay for a test that shouldn't have been necessary, except for a computer glitch! I'll keep you posted!

You better not have to pay they better comp it. Go up the chain at that hospital right now. Have you done your survey yet?

This is ridiculous. No one should have to put up with this kind of treatment.

Crazy.....

And, I might add, I WOULD NOT even consider paying for that test- I'd demand it and tell them that because of the chart entry, even if the surgeon says they did a sleeve, you aren't taking any chances- either way, the onus is on them to reassure you.

My daughters hospital birth certificate came with her name replacing one that was crossed out- the baby girl delivered to the room next door to me, within minutes of me, both babies were emergency c-sections (a fluke), both girls, both the same exact weight. It came in the mail to me about a week after I got home. Let me tell you-I was FREAKED OUT!!! Was this baby mine??? Were they switched?? No amount of reassurance from the nursing staff calmed me... It all worked out fine, and she was my baby, but during that waiting period I can't tell you the thousands of feelings and scenarios that played out in my mind.

@@leebick Oh hell no! You should not have to pay anything!!! I would also demand to see the Operatory Report and anything else (pathology report for your removed stomach). This is a serious issue and the hospital better step up!

@@leebick

Yeah, this is no time for hemming and hawing. I would DEMAND answers NOW. No, "Oh, well this may be a glitch" and "We will have to do a barium test to determine". This is BS. Like someone said, I would demand the surgery report and any other notes along with your care to get to the bottom of it. This isn't some kind of ooops. This could potentially be life threatening if you don't have the accurate information. I would also throw the word "lawyer" around.

It's outrageous, and I'm sorry this has happened to you. But girl, you need to be a b***h about this whole thing and get it straightened out!

Go to Medical Records at the facility and stand there until they hand you your admission report, the operation report, and the discharge summary.

Go to Medical Records at the facility and stand there until they hand you your admission report, the operation report, and the discharge summary.

THIS ^^^^^

Yep! ^^ THAT exactly!!

||

Hospitals have General Counsel. Bet you get a response from them PDQ. And if, in fact, they DID do a bypass- don't speak another word with ANY ONE WHO YOU CAME IN CONTACT WITH or who WORKS FOR THE HOSPITAL until you take a day or two to find the best malpractice attorney available in your area. And I mean the best.

I don't advocate willy-nilly law suits- believe me!!! But I do think that if someone was negligent and performed the WRONG procedure you need to be answered to they need to feel the repercussions of it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You've gotten some good advice. Definitely demand to see your admission report, surgical report and discharge summary. I can't believe the nurse told you you had to come in for a swallow test to be sure!

The surgical report should have a "play by play" of your surgery and the admission report should specify the type of surgery.

The sleeve is the "easier" surgery. Sometimes people who wanted to have a gastric bypass end up with a sleeve due to individual medical situations. But I have not personally heard of anyone who intended to have a VSG and wound up with a bypass.

(Incidentally, my bariatric nurse made some snide comments that I should have a bypass instead of VSG also prior to my surgery. I understand that the success rate is higher with bypass, but I just couldn't deal with the "frankensteining" of the intestines and the possibility of nutritional deficiencies because of it. Hence, why I wanted VSG.)

Best of luck to you! Hopefully it is just a clerical/coding error. That happened to me with my recent mammogram--I got an EOB from my insurance company that said X-ray of the legs. Um, NO.

This is the reason why I won't go to my local hospital. I call it the feed and farm. They flat out suck! They literally recommend that you take a sharpie marker and write what procedure you want done in the area of your surgery to "avoid confusion". You would have better luck with a drunken buddy performing your surgery while watching youtube to figure out what to do.

Actually, that is a very common and smart practice for most surgeons.