Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I THOUGHT I was sleeved...

I had sleeve surgery on 9/15. This was the 3rd attempt to actually get to surgery; the first scheduled appointment was cancelled because I was sick and the second appointment had to be postponed due to a family emergency. When I had originally met with the surgeon, I said I wanted a bypass but changed that via email and phone call within 2 days, and for the 2nd and 3rd surgery, we've always talked sleeve. Well, I just thoroughly read my hospital discharge papers and it says Procedures Performed: Gastric bypass! Guess I'll be calling someone tomorrow for clarification! I'm pretty sure it's just a paperwork error, but the discharge papers are printed out from the hospital's computerized records. Hmmm...

Oh my! I would definitely be surprised at that as well! It's probably just a paperwork error, like you said, but I would call for sure for clarification. In the meantime, I hope you are recovering well!

Oh my! Please post and let us know what you find out.

Oh my!

Gosh! Please let us know after you speak with your surgeon.

I too hope it was only a computer entry mistake, but you have to know for sure.

Good luck!

I hope you have something in WRITING.

@@leebick

Umm didn't your surgeon come talk to you before you were released? What did they say?

My Surgeon and the PA saw me the next morning and talked to me about my surgery and how I was feeling.

@@KristenLe

When you sign consent forms, they leave the option to change the surgery, and switch to open from laparoscopic, so that isn't really helpful.

On the day after surgery, my surgeon came in and said surgery went well, and then talked to me about non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, which she discovered during surgery. She wanted to make sure I understood what it meant because it is in the surgical notes and she didn't want it to be a surprise, and also the causes and how to deal with it. She checked around my incisions, which are covered with steri-strips. On the next day, when I was discharged, she wasn't on call (it was a Saturday) but the covering physician came in and talked about the dietary requirements, exercise, and what to watch for in case my incisions became infected. I don't recall either of them mentioning bypass or sleeve, to be honest.

I know my surgeon knows I wanted the sleeve. She even asked me why I'd changed my mind from the first meeting, to do the sleeve instead of the bypass. However, when the admissions nurse called me 2 weeks before the surgery, she said "bypass" and I said no, sleeve. She laughed slightly and said, "better change that!" or something to that effect. When I checked into the hospital on 9/15, I don't remember the admitting nurse mentioning the procedure at all; I just gave her my name and said I was scheduled for surgery with Dr. T at 7:30am and she started asking me to sign on the electronic pad for permission to treat and HIPPA. I just realized I didn't read the HIPPA form because I know what it says, but I didn't read the permission to treat form- in fact, none was offered and I was so anxious I didn't think to ask to read it. Honestly, I just remembered this as I was typing NOW, and I know it was stupid not to ask for the paperwork. The admitting nurse never offered paperwork, just said, "Please sign the pad for permission to treat, and again for HIPPA." And I don't remember anyone in pre-op asking what I was in for, just my name and birthdate, and they scanned my Bracelet before they did each IV line and before giving me the pre-op meds. I guess bypass would be OK except it's NOT what I wanted, for what I think are very sound reasons. I'm sure it's just a paperwork error. Oh crap.

Edited by leebick

@@KristenLe

When you sign consent forms, they leave the option to change the surgery, and switch to open from laparoscopic, so that isn't really helpful.

Mine is for sleeve only - laparoscopic or open if necessary. We have had a few wrong surgeries done at our hospitals and they go over what surgery many times getting prepped for the OR.

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

@@KristenLe

They did talk to me, and ask me repeatedly what surgery I was having, with each new person I encountered the whole time. My form said bypass was an option but I knew it wouldn't happen because my Dr doesn't do them.

They stated what I was having over and over before and they talked about it repeatedly afterward. There is no way there would have been any mystery about what happened.

Plus the next day before I left the hospital I saw my sleeve live on screen for my swallow test. I know I have a sleeve and I know exactly what it looks like and where it is located.

OP I hope you get a straight answer soon, this seems very odd. Did you have surgery in the US?

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I was also asked repeatedly to state what surgery I was having (and to confirm my name and DOB over and over.)

At least 5 times from intake to the OR. Every new hospital staffer I encountered asked me to confirm these details.

@@KristenLe

They did talk to me, and ask me repeatedly what surgery I was having, with each new person I encountered the whole time. My form said bypass was an option but I knew it wouldn't happen because my Dr doesn't do them.

They stated what I was having over and over before and they talked about it repeatedly afterward. There is no way there would have been any mystery about what happened.

Plus the next day before I left the hospital I saw my sleeve live on screen for my swallow test. I know I have a sleeve and I know exactly what it looks like and where it is located.

OP I hope you get a straight answer soon, this seems very odd. Did you have surgery in the US?

Yes, I had surgery at the medical center that is a 15 minute drive from my house. Turns out that I was my surgeon's first case of the day and her second case was a woman who was a former student of my husband, AND the case manager on the med-surge floor where I stayed is a friend with whom I'd lost touch over the past few years. Small world... sometimes too small! Also, no swallow test- my surgeon doesn't do them.

This is the reason why I won't go to my local hospital. I call it the feed and farm. They flat out suck! They literally recommend that you take a sharpie marker and write what procedure you want done in the area of your surgery to "avoid confusion". You would have better luck with a drunken buddy performing your surgery while watching youtube to figure out what to do.