Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just tell the truth,I was so excited about it! I've lost 43lbs & my surgery was on July 6th,I'm at a stand still ,plus I've eatin' some things I probably shouldn't have! But tomorrow & getting right back on my 3 meals,& my Water. I have 65 more lbs I want you lose. I got lazy,bc I haven't lost any for like 3 weeks!!! I think it's very common,it just seems like you work so hard,I don't even own a scale,but I can tell I haven't lost!!!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using the BariatricPal App

It was easy for me because I had so much weight to lose. I simply was upfront with the key people at work and my family. Outside of that its a topic that is freely discussed if folks ask me about it. A few have gone on to seek bariatric solutions for themselves or family members.

If I had been a low BMI patient at the beginning......id likely have just kept it to myself until later on.

I've kept my experience private- family and ONE other person I know. Funny enough, out in public- at a restaurant with a waiter, shopping for clothes where a room assistant is needed, I'm very open about it.

The medications I was on for years caused ulcers- this is true. I simply exaggerated the extent of them and said I had surgery to repair my stomach. Kinda skirting the issue- and said that the "diet" I was on was to be kind to my stomach post op and then as I saw weight loss, I just kept going with it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I feel weird in this situation....I'm not broadcasting to the world that I'm having weightloss surgery but if soneone ask I tell them....hell I'm fat, it not that much of a surprise that I need it and it pretty common nowadays....I haven't met anyone that I told who doesn't know someone who has already done it or who are also going through the process.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using the BariatricPal App

I only needed to tell a few people I was having surgery besides my immediate family who knew the truth. I did have a hiatal hernia repair in conjunction with WLS so that is what I told my son's teacher (in case homework was not done properly because my husband was taking over lol).

Turns out I really should give my husband lots of credit because our son didn't skip a beat). :)

WLS is nothing to be ashamed of but it's also no one else's business but my own. ;)

I tell everyone and anyone. I'm so excited for this new journey. I don't care if someone tells me it's not a good idea or that I'm not "fat enough" I am doing this for me and my life but I'm bursting at the seams for everyone to know I'm happy with my decision. I'm hoping to have my date set for the end of October beginning of November. My mom wants me to wait till my classes are done in December but I don't know if I can wait that long :)

Good for you! Good luck!

Thanks for the discussion! I was planning to be open and had already told some people about my plan, but maybe I need to rethink.

I do public speaking and talk about a rare syndrome I suffer from to educate people, mostly medical professionals, but also patients. So a lot of people will see me shrink...

This will be an important step in my life to a healthier me and I need to do it. I just don't feel like keeping score of my white lies. I know I would mess up at some point ????

Good luck to you all!

Sent from my GT-I9506 using the BariatricPal App

I don't know , I'm very open so I just let all the cats out of the bag lol. I like being me and not hiding. On the other hand I've met the judgemental and that bites bit most ppl are showing lots of love

I told my first surgery lie today. I'm having surgery Oct 10th and starting to prepare things/people for after. So far nobody has asked what the surgery is for, but today someone did! I'm not telling people who are not all that close to me or I think wouldn't be supportive. So I told her I was having a hernia repaired. Unlike a lot of people here, I'm actually not, so it was just a flat out lie. I hate lying!! I felt so awkward. She apologized right away and said "oh I'm sorry, that's personal" probably because I looked so awkward answering her, lol. Anyone else lying? Hope I get more secure with answering. I'm dreading the moment someone says oh I had that done too and want to talk more technical details with me. I better brush up on hernia logistics just in case, lol!

I did the same thing a couple of days ago....told my first surgery fib! I was quite shocked because I am pretty open with people & I am not at all comfortable with lies. My surgery is on Wednesday, and up until this point I've been quite open and honest with people (I have a blog too!). People who I don't want to know I just don't talk about it with.

The lie happened because I have neighbor who has a group of friends who are involved with a church and they are ALL constantly knocking on my door trying to get my involved in the church also (no means no, I mean it really means that where I'm from...)

They are judgmental freaking passive aggressive stuck up people who only pester me out of ignorance (not because they are kind). They make horrible comments to me with a smile on their face. ANYWAY, long story short they had been harassing me relentlessly about doing some church related thing this week and because my no obviously means nothing to them in frustration I blurted out that I couldn't because I'm having surgery....

Well then came the relentless "why" questions & in a moment of weakness and because I have to live near this annoying person I lied and said it was for a hernia. I feel weak and pathetic.

I don't believe for a second there is any shame in weightloss surgery - but I don't want to deal with prejudice from people who I know will think it's shameful. Arg!

Sent from my iPod touch using the BariatricPal App

You should have told them "Sex Change"! I bet they wouldn't bother you again! ????????

A few people know. My husband and 1 of my children, a handful of friends, and 1 co worker, and 1 sister. My father, other sisters and 2 of my kids do not know. Everyone else thinks it was hernia surgery (which I did have on my diaphragm)

The diet I am on is for my hernia as far as they are concerned.

Get ready! If you follow your doctor and nuts program, the pounds will melt off. I lost almost 100 lbs in 6 months and "how" was all anyone wanted to talk about for a year.

I'm now a year out and it's dropped to once a week, but it was hell conducting nonstop dishonest conversations with all my friends for 9 months!