Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling your green zone

Hi!!

I'm writing today because as of now I am 5.4 cc full in my band. (The doctor tried to add 1 cc to get me to 6 but I couldn't swallow water) but I am feeing okay, yesterday was all liquids which was fine and now today I just tried to eat a boneless chicken wing... Why you ask? Well they had a catered lunch for me as today was my last day at work... Imagine my face when I want to tell everyone that I actually can't eat that because of my Lap Band

Well I sucked it up an had 3, fully chewed bites with 60 second intervals between and no Water to let it slide... I AM FULL!!!!

I don't mind this... I'm just apprehensive as I am leaving the state and driving across country for a permanent move. I have an appointment scheduled for Monday at a location 2.5 hours away (they were booked and quite honestly I thought I'd be able to fill more of my band). I left this appointment open in case I need some saline taken out but I think I'm okay so far.

What does your green zone fee like? Am I at a dangerously high fill? ( I know this is all relative to how I feel but it never hurts for friendly, constructive input)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by lf1227

Too bad it's Saturday so that you can't go back to your original surgery practice before you head out to wherever. When you're at the 2-1/2 hour-away practice, see if you can get the full rundown on what a band is about and your role in reading it. I'd be doing you a disservice if I were to try to respond to anything but your final question. Frankly, you've written out things that someone -- me in this instance -- reading your post can't respond to for the gaps. I won't guess at what you do know and where you need more education. I say this not to be unsympathetic or put you down, but to alert you to the fact that you have more to learn. There is a learning process with a band and it can take a while as you go through the stages if you haven't already.

The amount of saline in a band means nothing. The only thing that matters is the amount that makes the band an optimal weight-loss partner. For example, if you and I have the same size band, there is no reason to think we'll both do well with the same amount of saline. There are people whose bands were installed empty and worked perfectly for them -- never an adjustment all the way to goal.

It's concerning that you refer to drinking/not drinking Water to wash a piece of chicken down. Banded people are told not to drink while eating and to wait 30 mins after eating to drink.

Why would anyone here ask why you ate chicken? Is that your way of saying you're a week post-op and not yet cleared for anything other than liquid?

See what I mean? If Monday's appt is not where you'll be resettling, please, please get yourself situated with a practice when you get there.

Some hallmarks of the "green zone" are being able to swallow liquids and solis comfortably, given that you're not chugging or bolting food like a cat. That is, drink at a comfortable pace and take small bites, being sure to chew thoroughly. "Thoroughly" often means to puree, at least 25 Chomps per morsel. If it sounds or feels tedious, so be it. The up side is that chewing food until it's dead a second time releases more flavor than you'd detect otherwise. Just hope it flavor translates as "good." Green zone also means being able to ingest enough to get a good percentage of nutrients. It's also about being able to eat the required amount of Protein, said amount being between you and your practice, but usually between 60-100g daily. Of course there are Protein supplements, but that's an area I don't discuss.

I just found a small card that came in the Lapband brand patient packet. It describes the yellow, green and red zones, the first indicated that more Fluid is in order and the last that Fluid should be removed. The brief description (this card is a mere quick reference, no detailed explanation) of green: Not hungry; Good weight loss; Portion control; Patient satisfaction. It would be more useful if one knows the whole story of the "zone." That said, think about how your experience thus far measures against the skimpy description.

Check the BP tabs, above, for info. There are also lots of resources, especially your new practice! I'm sure others with bands will stop by here to pitch in. Someone may even say I'm way off and think he knows exactly where you're at and asking. I don't like to take things for granted, lest I give bad advice.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I was actually told by my practices NUT that there was research that proved drinking with your LapBand was okay and didn't affect it, he told me this after I brought up that I was waiting to drink after eating.

Also I've had my band for 3 years so No I'm not one week post op.

And I am actually proud in the strides in making in changing the way I eat/drink and working with my band as a tool.

I notice your pretty negative/condescending when you reply to people's post so please don't feel the need to give me advice again, although you bring up good arguments and points, it's hard to hear you over the attitude, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@lf1227 HI there and good luck with your move. I really learned a lot from the two links below in my signature: The Lapband is Not About Restriction (Dr. Simpson) and O'Brien's Eight Golden Rules. Every one is different as far as what they can tolerate and how much fill is required for the Green Zone. I don't like to be too tight but in my view if I ever am I can do a liquid diet until I am able to get a smidge removed. My personal test is salmon and broccoli -- I need to be able to eat those foods easily. Sometimes chicken, steak, etc. are too tough and require a lot more chewing or still will not feel "right" to me. The problem with a too-tight band is reliance on Slider foods which will cause weight gain. You'll get there -- stay on it!