Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ketosis - How safe is it?

@@able2cope

I eat very boring...I'm just not hungry and food doesn't really appeal to me anymore. I found my tastes in most things have changed and not much really tastes good anymore.

So I usually eat chicken, fish, pork and eggs. I still have a Protein shake every morning for Breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@able2cope

I eat very boring...I'm just not hungry and food doesn't really appeal to me anymore. I found my tastes in most things have changed and not much really tastes good anymore.

So I usually eat chicken, fish, pork and eggs. I still have a Protein shake every morning for Breakfast.< /p>

@@rydersmama

thanks. I'm a flat out failure of late - I managed low card for a week and half - fell off the wagon today with a pancake! so big style :(

I've been trying to force myself to have mainly Protein shakes.. and I bought chocolate ones by mistake - a BIG mistake - could hardly put them down my throat - and that put me off I think.

I've decided to just bin those ones - i like the strawberry and vanilla ones I have - perhaps if I concentrate on just having the shake in the morning and 'real' food the rest of the time - try to mix it up a little... Devilled eggs are ok aren't they? I could go some of those - well in all honestly one and half tops before I'm full.. but you know what I mean :)

I find eggs on their own too dry for me. meat too really - all types... it all sticks, but then again I suppose thats what its meant to do nowadays..

I really need to shake this regain I've got happening.. I'm going on holiday in three weeks to the Grand Canyon - a big adventure for a girl from Scotland UK! and want to be able to fit into at least some of the clothes I have bought in the past couple years..

Wish me luck!

Congrats on your awesome progress so far!

I think I was pretty much in ketosis for my first year with no problems. I focused on Protein and had no problem getting over 100 grams a day. I wasn’t paying any attention to fat, but did keep my carbs low – I’d say 60 grams a day max. I lost 200 lbs exactly at my one year anniversary (1/15/16). My bloodwork did show the signs of too much Protein but I was told by a nurse “well, if you’re eating high-protein then that’s okay.” Well, really, I don’t think that it is! Not long term anyway.

After the one year, I entered a stall. To try to break it I exercised more, exercised less, ate more, ate less… It was when I decided to add back more carbs (as some people find that helpful) that I gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks eating at a 1000 calorie deficit a day AND still keeping carbs at 100 or less. I was ticked off! I researched and figured out that I am just really, really carb sensitive. As soon as I cut the carbs again, that 10 lbs fell back off.

In June I switched to Low Carb, High (Healthy) Fat and it’s been awesome. I get moderate protein, around 70-85 grams a day and lots of fat. On MyFitnessPal, I have my daily breakdown at 65% fat, 25% protein, and 10% carbs – typically around 30 grams carb, 81 gram protein, and 94 grams fat.

From January 15 to June 4, I lost 13 lbs. From June 4 to September 16, I’ve lost 22. I didn’t change my exercise patterns at all; it’s from cutting back out the carbs. Physically I feel great, I have more energy, I have better mental clarity, my mood has evened out, and the hormonal “female” problems I had are not a problem any longer. If I do eat something high in sugar I feel sick – physically poisoned. The only adverse affect is what another post said – Constipation. But I can deal with that.

Like I say to everyone who asks me how I’m losing – this is what works for ME. I get bloodwork drawn next week so we’ll see how 3.5 months of high-fat eating has affected it and maybe I’ll adjust at that point, but so far – so good!

@@able2cope

For sure devilled eggs are ok!

Yes, I too have a hard time with meat that is dry...I've always been one to over cook meat...so I've been trying hard to cook it properly so it doesn't dry out too much.

Have fun on your trip!!

Thank you HillaryA for posting the details of your nutritional intake. I would really love to hear about your blood work results and hope you will post them. I believe I am also very carbohydrate sensitive. Since two days ago, I lost another 2 lbs, so I believe so 6 lbs in 8 days. I am sure it will slow down, but weight has NEVER come off this fast before. Just tested and the ketosis sticks show I am producing ketones. My appetite is definitely less as well. I think I'm going to stick with this for a few weeks and see how it goes. I will also have blood work done in the next month.

For me, I eat turkey, chicken, salmon, shrimp, eggs, cheese, milk, plain greek yogurt, fresh steamed broccoli, cauliflower, nuts and legumes. I do use seasonings and olive oil. I also love avocados.

For me, I eat turkey, chicken, salmon, shrimp, eggs, cheese, milk, plain greek yogurt, fresh steamed broccoli, cauliflower, nuts and legumes. I do use seasonings and olive oil. I also love avocados.

It sounds as though you are eating a well balanced, healthy diet! That's great about the pounds dropping!

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Thank you KristenLe. Doing my best. Not to say that I don't have a greek yogurt pop or a handful of popcorn once in a while. Life is too short. And I could not do it without my sleeve. This is such an amazing learning experience for me.

Update: a week away from 6 months out. I wouldn't say I have tried to stay in ketosis, but it seems that I may still be in it (using the ketone sticks to measure). My energy level has definitely decreased. I have tried adding a little fruit and veggies. Have an appointment with my pcp today and will ask for bloodwork to be sure there are no deficiencies. But, we are preparing for hurricane Matthew today and many businesses are closed, so I figure the appointment may be moved. Anyone have low energy and figured out what was causing it? I am taking my bariatric Vitamins and Calcium (mostly). I do eat, but there's not much of an appetite there. I can take it or leave it.

Interesting thread and relevant following

I did a keto-based diet during my 7 months pre-op, and ended up losing 110 pounds before surgery. My diet was different from the typical "keto" diet since I'm a vegetarian, but I did try to stay below 25 carbs per day. I didn't count calories or fat at all. Just Protein (at least 100g) and carbs (no more than 25). I'm pretty sure I stayed in ketosis most of that time, though I didn't have any way to measure it. I'm almost 6 months out from surgery now and still eat very low carb.

I am so glad I started before surgery because it got all the cravings out of the way when cheating wouldn't endanger my healing process. I'm sure it made the first weeks after surgery easier since I didn't have to deal with the cravings.

As for safety, my surgeon and nutritionist both recommend a Keto diet post-surgery. He says ketosis really helps the weight loss during those first months where most of the weight comes off. I'm just now starting to incorporate some whole vegetables into my diet. My program guidelines say Protein only the first 5-6 months, and no simple carbohydrates (bread, Pasta, rice) for a minimum of 1 year (though I probably won't ever add them back in, since for me they trigger the cravings to come back).

Just had my bloodwork done for my upcoming 6-month follow-up and all of my numbers are good.

I did a keto-based diet during my 7 months pre-op, and ended up losing 110 pounds before surgery. My diet was different from the typical "keto" diet since I'm a vegetarian, but I did try to stay below 25 carbs per day. I didn't count calories or fat at all. Just Protein (at least 100g) and carbs (no more than 25). I'm pretty sure I stayed in ketosis most of that time, though I didn't have any way to measure it. I'm almost 6 months out from surgery now and still eat very low carb.

I am so glad I started before surgery because it got all the cravings out of the way when cheating wouldn't endanger my healing process. I'm sure it made the first weeks after surgery easier since I didn't have to deal with the cravings.

As for safety, my surgeon and nutritionist both recommend a Keto diet post-surgery. He says ketosis really helps the weight loss during those first months where most of the weight comes off. I'm just now starting to incorporate some whole vegetables into my diet. My program guidelines say Protein only the first 5-6 months, and no simple carbohydrates (bread, Pasta, rice) for a minimum of 1 year (though I probably won't ever add them back in, since for me they trigger the cravings to come back).

Just had my bloodwork done for my upcoming 6-month follow-up and all of my numbers are good.

You and I sound very much alike, @PixelToph. I lost 99 pounds pre-op following a low carb/high protein/high healthy fat diet. And I am going right back to that once I can bring meat and veggies back into my diet. I have a carb addiction issue, and I just have to stay away from the little bastards. (And all of my labs were in the normal range at the time of surgery just from doing that.)

I feel really sorry for so many people on here who go straight from eating anything they want to a very long and difficult pre-op liquid diet to all the restrictions after the surgery. It is a very tall order. I think it is criminal that surgeons don't require people to do at least a month of a low carb diet before the liquids kick in pre-op. My pre-op diet changed my relationship with food -- and that was a necessary ingredient to my overall success in this journey. It sounds like you were the same way!

Best wishes as you continue your journey!