Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ketosis - How safe is it?

I'm just over 5 months out and down 59 lbs today. 4 of those pounds came off in the past 6 days! I was at the point where I was accepting the slower weight loss when I ran out of my greek yogurt with fruit in it last week. Then the weight started falling off! Couldn't believe it, Now I believe just one yogurt a day was too many carbs. Today I noticed a metalic taste in my mouth a few hours after I ate Breakfast. I did a little research and believe that is a response to my body being in Ketosis, Which would be consistent with the lowering of my carb intake and the super fast weight loss in the past 6 days. From what I read, ketosis is not a problem if you are eating a healthy diet, not diabetic, pregnant, etc. My question is, how has ketosis helped or hurt your journey? Any adverse affects? How long did you stay in ketosis?

I'd like to follow this please - I'm very interested in how it effects people - I'm diabetic but believe I went into this today - well I had low blood sugar so maybe its not the same thing... anyway - I ate carbs as I felt it was what I needed at the time...

Following!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have been following a low carb/high protein/high healthy fat diet for the past six months (insurance required nutrition program) and I have, as of today, lost 95 pounds. I have been in ketosis the entire time. I haven't had more than 20 carbs on any day (and have had less than 15 most days). It has worked wonders for me.

My surgery is September 28. My nutritionist has agreed that I can avoid foods throughout the various post-op food stages that are higher in carbs and continue to remain in ketosis. I plan to do this until I get all of the excess weight off.

Some disagree with this approach, but it has worked for me.

Good luck!

Wow! So 6 months in Ketosis with 95 pounds down! I sent an email to my nutritionist and hope she says the same thing. Weight is definitely coming off a lot faster that way. And there is less hunger for me also. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

@@IveGotThePower

You're welcome! Good for you for reaching out to your nutritionist. I paid for my non-required, extra visit with my nutritionist because I wanted us to be on the same page, and because I didn't want to be forced into some kind of canned program when I am a bit of a unique case in my surgeon's practice.

The surgeon himself told me that no one ever loses the kind of weight I have lost pre-op. Sometimes the folks on his staff haven't known quite what to do with me over the past six months. :-)

The response I received from my Nutritionist was that ketosis usually happens when you consume less than 50 grams of carbs a day. That is about the equivalent of 3 servings of either diary, fruit or starch. She advised that I continue to include healthy Protein sources that have natural carbohydrates (yogurt, milk, legumes).

Didn't really answer my question about whether it is safe or not. Maybe that is not an easy answer. My NUT is excellent. I've been using her for over a year and I trust her, but I will ask specifically when we meet next month. Additionally, I ordered the ketosis strips so I can check to see if/when I am actually producing ketones. By the way. I lost another lb. So that was 5 lbs in 7 days. Way more than I've been losing.

I also know my appetite has decreased. I am still eating. But there isn't much in the way of hunger at all. Anyone tried the sticks and anyone who specifically stayed in ketosis for a period of time with success...or not?

I am just over 8 months post op, down almost 170lbs. I've been eating pretty much only Protein, and very little veggies the whole time. I have about 18lbs to lose until I'm at my goal. Once I'm there, I plan on adding different things like some fruit and yogurt. But until I'm at goal, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing...it's worked for me

I would talk to your doctor to make sure it is safe for you. For most it is very safe but there are exceptions to that and only your doctor knows your underlying health conditions. Assuming it is safe it worked wonders for me. I got to goal weight in about 7 months. I am no longer in ketosis but most of my carbs are veggies, fruit and some potatoes. No wheat sugar or rice. I still keep my carb lower than the average person and Protein first. Beating the carb addiction has changed my life!

@@ocgirl15

Amen to beating the carb addiction!

I agree that carbs can be very harmful to the body. My concern is we need to eat healthy, low calorie carbs along with plenty of Water. Not only for the Fiber (anyone have issues with Constipation? ) but ketosis from consuming high Protein long term may cause some issues with the kidneys especially if you already have underlying kidney disease. (I'm a certified dialysis nurse). Make sure you discuss this with your surgeon and dietician. Our goal is to be healthy. Sounds like you are doing wonderful on your weight loss. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved on June 28th and once I was out of the liquid stage I have been following a low carb diet because it was the easiest sure way I knew I would get my Protein in. I limited my carbs to 20 carbs/day) and the weight and inches have been falling off.

I am just over 8 months post op, down almost 170lbs. I've been eating pretty much only Protein, and very little veggies the whole time. I have about 18lbs to lose until I'm at my goal. Once I'm there, I plan on adding different things like some fruit and yogurt. But until I'm at goal, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing...it's worked for me

what all sort of things are you eating? awesome loss. well done!

I agree that carbs can be very harmful to the body. My concern is we need to eat healthy, low calorie carbs along with plenty of Water. Not only for the Fiber (anyone have issues with Constipation? ) but ketosis from consuming high Protein long term may cause some issues with the kidneys especially if you already have underlying kidney disease. (I'm a certified dialysis nurse). Make sure you discuss this with your surgeon and dietician. Our goal is to be healthy. Sounds like you are doing wonderful on your weight loss. Keep up the good work!

This has rang a bell with me... since going on the low/no carb - I've been put on ramirpril for having Protein in my kidneys - I'm taking it that the diet wouldn't have helped?

Also yes! I'm having problems with constipation - onto taking 2 dulcoease and 2 dulcolax each day - instead of my normal was about once a week...