Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Layered Mexican in a Mason Jar (Purée)

Hi All,

I was missing Mexican and so I did a variation on the tex mex recipes I've seen. It's mostly pureed but a tiny bit thick. The one tiny 'cheat' is I added a sprinkle of tex-mex cheese mix. It's not as much as it seems in the picture, maybe because it hadn't melted down yet. One of my time savers is to precook my ground beef (and my chicken, etc), puree once cooked then freeze. Then I can quickly assemble ready-made meals.

I really love using my tiny mason jars as my 4 oz Portion Control. If I finish what's in it, I'm full. They make great tiny serving dishes in the early days. Since my top priority is to avoid stretching my sleeve, this keeps me honest.

Prep time: 2 minutes

Serves: 1

Calories: 175

Carbs: 9

Fat: 10

Protein: 14

Sodium: 139

Layer in a 1/2 cup mason jar:

2 oz refried Beans (I used Old El Paso)

1 oz of pre-cooked, pureed lean ground beef

1 oz of thin, pureed salsa (I used Old El Paso)

A tiny sprinkle of jack or tex mex mix cheese. (I used Kraft)

Microwave 1-1.5 minutes

Variations: If I had sour cream in the house I may have added a teaspoon of that on top of the salsa, then the cheese. If I had some avocados or guac, I may have put a teaspoon of that.

I was able to detemine the nutrition info by plugging in my recipe into Myfitnesspal. It's a great tool for that.

Tell me if you try it and if you like it :)

Michelle

post-294805-0-10584100-1473978780_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shell Renewed

Looks good! cheese is allowed - I don't see any cheating happening here!

@@KristenLe is druelling- lol. She's headed for preop soon! Hold on to this idea Kristen!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I love Mexican food & have been sorta mourning the loss I'm about to experience, lol. My surgery is Wed 9/21/16 & I already have a can of refried Beans figuring I could top w/ cheese or come up w/ some creation once I'm able to do pureed foods. I'm loving your recipe & plan to try it. Thank you so much!

Edited by unbreakableCD

Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely give it a try. ????

Looks good! cheese is allowed - I don't see any cheating happening here!

@@KristenLe is druelling- lol. She's headed for preop soon! Hold on to this idea Kristen!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Pre op? @@KristenLe Wow.. I thought you were a veteran ..at least you've done your homework!

I do not limit what kind of foods I eat except those that are fried, no breads, pastas, rice or concentrated sweets or those that irritate my already dinged gall bladder. I cook for my family but of course it is healthier now and I make my tiny plate! I have not deprived myself at all! I do not want to fall back into some of my bad habits: high carbs. I am losing about 2 to 2.5-3 pounds a week. VSG 7/21/16

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I hope I can practice what I preach!

You will because you are prepared! It's definitely challenging to change the way we approach food, so having the knowledge and the right tools..that includes kitchen tools as well, will put you and keep you on the path to success in this weight loss journey.

Next Sat is my 60th birthday, having an Italian heritage means we Celebrate with lots of food!! No dinner/cake for me this year, but the mirror is starting to reflect my 20 lb weight loss since the start of my pre- op diet on 8/22. Not bad for an old broad.. You will do great @@KristenLe!!