Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking Out!

Well, I am supposed to run a marathon 2.5 days from now and I am completely freaking out. I feel like an inmate on death row awaiting my execution. Today I had to start my carbo-loading, which is a challenge for sure. I'm supposed to aim for 600 grams of carbs a day for the next three days, with 85-95% of my calories coming from carbs! Talk about the antitheses of what my sleeved diet has been like!

I was in an almost full on panic attack about knowing I can't hit my goal of 100 grams of Protein a day for the next few days if I want to have room for all those carbs. It's almost 4:00 in the afternoon and I'm only at 207.5 grams of carbs for the day. Only 1/3 of the way to my goal. Crazy!

And this morning I had a muffin and there was so much sugar in it, I actually got dizzy and felt a little sick. To think, for years of my life I would have loved the opportunity to binge on sugar and carbs all day every day for three days straight!

I know you are freaking out, but I am super excited for you!

I agree with KristenLe, go for some slider foods and see how it goes. Is Pasta a slider for you? Crackers?

Its only a day or two. No problem, its when it goes longer. If Dan Bernandini can do it, you can too!

@@JamieLogical Eat Pasta - maybe it'll go through your sleeve faster! You have my admiration and best wishes!!!

I haven't eaten much Pasta since I was sleeved, but the couple of times I have, it really seemed to fill me up super fast. I will try anything at this point through. I didn't even break 400 carbs yesterday!

My brother is a marathon runner and I know the dedication and discipline it takes to do this. I am in awe of you because not only did you lose the weight, but that you went on to take up this challenge of running a marathon...again, amazing.

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy... :)

Jamie - This was just posted on a Facebook running group I am in. IT made a lot of sense to me. Pay attention to the parts about carb loading. Its different than what I had ever heard before.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/taper-traps?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebutton

"Solution: During your taper, slightly modify the carbohydrate-based diet you've maintained throughout your marathon training. "Simply emphasize the carbs already in your diet," says Nancy Clark, R.D., a sports nutritionist in Boston. "For example, instead of having chicken with rice, have rice with chicken." Clark recommends taking in 55 to 65 percent of your calories from carbohydrates, 10 to 15 percent from Protein, and 20 to 30 percent from fat. Ensure the Proteins are low in fat, such as chicken, fish, lean meats, Beans, and legumes."

That percentage of carbs sounds extreme. Even more so for us. This seems much more manageable. Also, notice the parts about emotions during the taper. I had never heard this stuff before. I begin my taper in just over a week so I was glad to get the head's up and my taper is NOTHING like yours. I am "only" running 10 miles!

Good luck on your marathon. I am so excited for you. You can do it! Just remember, win, place, or show, you have succeeded and beat not only everyone on the couch, but your former self as well! Keep us posted.

pam

Edited by mngreeneyes

600 grams of carbs a day

@@JamieLogical

I've been hearing you talk and get ready for this run for a long time

i've had my eyes on you ;)

just like having WLS - nerves, emotions are normal, even freaking out!!

you've practiced, run other long distances too

You ARE ready

you know what to do

go for it!!

you'll do great!!

(hmmm analogy for Newbies? LOL

you'll be terrific, i know you will!!!

we're all watching you

No Pressure LOL

run the race

have fun with it

such an accomplishment

wonderful NSV

on your mark

get set go!!!!!

good luck bud

you ARE a winner :rolleyes:

hugggggs

kathy

@@mngreeneyes Definitely see the effects on my mood. I have been grumpier and more depressed without my running. I feel like a slug. And now all these carbs I think might actually be affecting my brain chemistry. I seriously had a second this morning where I was questioning my sanity. Not in a a joking "you are crazy for running a marathon way" but in a "wait a second, is my brain sort of broken?" kind of way.

I really do want to try to push hard to get as many carbs as I can though. Having glycogen stores at 100% capacity is pretty critical with a full marathon. I want to be as close to that as I can possibly be in order to hit "the wall" as late as possible in the race. Just want to be able to give myself my best chance of finishing. And let me be clear, FINISHING is my only goal.

@@JamieLogical

I understand your goal. I hope the article helps with the mental parts of this. At least you know its over after this weekend, until the next time you taper! You can do it. I am so excited for you! I'll be cheering for you the whole time from Minnesota. You will also be inspiring me as I tackle my 10 miler. "if Jamie can do the marathon, I can run a stinkin' 10 miles!"

You are amazing!

pam

This post made my day! Go, go, go -- you are rocking this!

You've got this Jamie!!! Try to hit your goal if that's what you think you need... But know it can be done without. I did my first marathon at 1.5 years out and wasn't close to that many carbs and hit the wall around mile 22 and finished running and smiling! Second time a year later I got in a few more carbs (I go by that article above about just focusing on the carbs I was eating already) and made it to mile 24 before my legs felt like lead... And that was the extent of the wall that year. Finished even stronger.

My advice... Hold back, go slower than you think you need to for the first half. Then if you're feeling good you can kick it up a notch. Don't try to "bank time" early in the race in case you hit the wall. That's what I did the first time and it hurt! The second time I paced myself and held back the first half. Was feeling good and went faster the second half and it was SO MUCH BETTER that way!

But however you do it, just go and have fun! You've trained you've done the work, the race is the icing on the cake!

Well, I managed to finish the marathon on Sunday and I am still alive, so I achieved both of my primary goals. I ended up having to walk way more of it than I had planned. I probably did more walking than running for the last 8 miles or so. But I finished it before the course closed so that's what matters!

I am stiff and sore, but no acute pain or injuries anywhere. My main source of pain is my incredibly horrible sunburn. By far the worse sun burn I've ever had. The forecast had called for "mostly cloudy" skies and rain all morning. Well, there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the sun beat down on me mercilessly for 6 hours. I wasn't prepared for that at all.

Happy to have lived and happy that it's over. I really want to do better next year!