Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain one month post op on 700 calories

I am extremely disappointed and disheartened by my failure so far. At first everything was great and I went from 220 to 198.4 in 3 weeks. After week 3 however I stalled which I understand is just part of the process. But during week 4 I am steady gaining weight and went from 198.4 to 203.2 on a diet of 700 calories. It should be practically impossible to be gaining weight on that few calories but somehow I'm doing it. I'm so mad that I was in onderland for so little time but now I'm back in the 200s slowly getting back where I started. I truly regret this surgery because all the sickness and discomfort it causes me is for nothing.

I 100% promise you that you are not gaining fat. It is not scientifically possible for you to gain fat on that few calories. To gain a pound of fat, you have to ingest 3500 more calories than you burn. Likely you are retaining Water for some reason. It could be too much sodium. It could be sore muscles. It could be hormonal. You really really really should just stay off the scale in these early weeks. You are going to drive yourself crazy.

That was my first thought, retaining Water. Or muscle weight. Are you working out? Getting 60-100 grams of Protein in daily? Drinking a shit ton of water (I don't like water, can you tell? LOL)

I went through the same thing and my surgeon told me to increase my calories/protein and sure enough I started dropping again. Your body is trying to hold on to what little intake your feeding it.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I am extremely disappointed and disheartened by my failure so far. At first everything was great and I went from 220 to 198.4 in 3 weeks. After week 3 however I stalled which I understand is just part of the process. But during week 4 I am steady gaining weight and went from 198.4 to 203.2 on a diet of 700 calories. It should be practically impossible to be gaining weight on that few calories but somehow I'm doing it. I'm so mad that I was in onderland for so little time but now I'm back in the 200s slowly getting back where I started. I truly regret this surgery because all the sickness and discomfort it causes me is for nothing.

You have not failed. None of us lose at a co start or steady rate. Stalls and weight fluctuations are common.

If you are eating only 700 calories, you actually may not be eating enough. What is your Protein target? Are you consuming at least that amount every day? Are you getting at least 64 oz of Fluid a day.

Staying off the scale early out can be a great strategy of you are going to let the numbers on the scale dictate how you feel.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Doc told me you can go and down 4 pounds by the minute. I weight less at 10am then I do at 6am (not kidding you) it's weird. It's always by 3lbs

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have gone through this every morning of my six-month pre-op diet. I won't get an accurate weight until after about 10:00am or so. I am still ridding my body of liquid until that point. If I weigh super early (before 7am), it can easily be a 2ish pound difference. I've learned to know that and accept it -- but it was a hard pill to swallow in the beginning!

I also wonder if it was worth it on a daily basis. Hopefully things turn around soon for both of us. I have read that the lower your surgery weight the slower the loss after. I hope you get past the stall and get to your goal weight with ease!

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

You have not failed. None of us lose at a co start or steady rate. Stalls and weight fluctuations are common.

If you are eating only 700 calories, you actually may not be eating enough. What is your Protein target? Are you consuming at least that amount every day? Are you getting at least 64 oz of Fluid a day.

Staying off the scale early out can be a great strategy of you are going to let the numbers on the scale dictate how you feel.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Excellent referral to that post! Thank you

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I also wonder if it was worth it on a daily basis. Hopefully things turn around soon for both of us. I have read that the lower your surgery weight the slower the loss after. I hope you get past the stall and get to your goal weight with ease!

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Soooo I got my period, 2 weeks earlier! So it's been Water retention. I starting yesterday and the scale started dropping!!!! NEVER Even had the thought that it could be that!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank all of you guys for your reply. Sorry for not responding sooner but I believe I broke my stall as of today I lost all I gained and then some and I'm now 196.8. So about 1.6 pounds down from my lowest which I'm super happy about. I believe my problem was the amount of salt I was eating and drinking Protein Shakes. A typical day for me would be a Protein Shake that would go right threw me a leave me hungry so then I'd have a salty snack or lil crunchies. Then in the middle of the day I'd have a Protein Bar and then once I was home I'd have a lean cuisine or healthy choice that had a massive amount of sodium. I was so concerned about how many calories I was eating I negcted the other nutritional aspects of my meals. I am now eating only real foods that I make myself and I see a huge difference in my weight and hydration. Also I do not snack anymore because I feel full on real food. My only problem now is because I avoid sodium filled fake food my calorie intake has gotten way low. I'm going to work on that though. Thanks again guys.

I tend to fluctuate between 134-136 lbs. depending on the time of the month or if I've had a bit too much salt. Don't stress - weight can fluctuate for a variety of reasons. As long as you are following the diet and instructions given to you by your surgeon and support staff, you will be fine!