Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone have Iron deficiency pre-op?

I'm set to get surgery in November but my NUT told me that they want to see normal Iron levels before my surgery. Has anyone had low Iron levels before surgery? If so, did they postpone your surgery or proceed with surgery? I've been taking 65mg a day of iron as suggested by my NUT but I'm concerned it will still be low at pre-op lab testing and they won't operate.

Just a FYI...My iron was at level 7 in July. I've been taking 65mg of iron daily since.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've struggled with low Iron basically since puberty. The things I've found helpful:

--take B12 and folic acid supplements

--add liquid iron 2x/day (Wellesse brand) in addition to regular iron supplementation

--eat as much iron rich food as possible - seriously, eat iron rich food at every single meal, no exceptions. Liver and blackstrap molasses are your friends, no matter how disgusting they may be

--cut way back on dairy and Calcium supplements

Good luck!

I've struggled with low Iron basically since puberty. The things I've found helpful:

--take B12 and folic acid supplements

--add liquid Iron 2x/day (Wellesse brand) in addition to regular iron supplementation

--eat as much iron rich food as possible - seriously, eat iron rich food at every single meal, no exceptions. Liver and blackstrap molasses are your friends, no matter how disgusting they may be

--cut way back on dairy and Calcium supplements

Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions!! Totally going to take your advice! Did they postpone your surgery due to low iron or did they operate on you as scheduled?

Edited by marchmellow

I'm set to get surgery in November but my NUT told me that they want to see normal Iron levels before my surgery. Has anyone had low Iron levels before surgery? If so, did they postpone your surgery or proceed with surgery? I've been taking 65mg a day of iron as suggested by my NUT but I'm concerned it will still be low at pre-op lab testing and they won't operate.

Just a FYI...My iron was at level 7 in July. I've been taking 65mg of iron daily since.

I was low pre-op and took an extra iron supplement on the instruction of my surgeon.

Yes, I had anemia due to endometrial cancer (symptoms were horrific periods for months prior).

Take your Iron with Vitamin c and not with Calcium, for better absorption. They had me taking it twice a day

I got it up enough for surgery, but it was close.

Mine was discovered when I had my EGD and bariatric blood tests done. I am also Vitamin D deficient. I'm on ferrous sulfate and Vitamin D supplements now. Surgery is scheduled for 10/24.

I am also Vitamin d and Iron deficient. Is ferrous sulfate better? Why that and not Iron supplements I wonder?

ETA: Never mind.. I just looked it up. Looks like it's easier to digest and won't make me constipated.

Edited by marchmellow

Yes, I had anemia due to endometrial cancer (symptoms were horrific periods for months prior).

Take your Iron with Vitamin c and not with Calcium, for better absorption. They had me taking it twice a day

I got it up enough for surgery, but it was close.

How many milligrams twice a day? Maybe I should do 2 a day to be safe. What was your Iron level before you started supplements? Mine was 7, which I think is VERY low.

I don't remember offhand, but it was the standard dude from the drugstore. Not the "Fe", because although that is easier on your system, my NUT said it doesn't absorb as well.

7 is very low. I was around that after my hysterectomy. You should be at least at 12.

I was originally scheduled in January for the sleeve. I had no idea my Iron was low until I got the test for my preop testing. At that point I was a 15. So they cancelled my surgery I got my blood work done every 6 weeks. I had extremely heavy periods so my gyno suggested that I get an ablation which I had done in August. I am now scheduled for September 26th. I have to get my blood work done again on Monday. It has been a very long road, but now that my period isn't an issue it seems to moving right along. I am taking 4 Iron supplements daily. Also make sure you take in extra Vitamin C, it helps with absorbing iron.

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by wheels121604

I was originally scheduled in January for the sleeve. I had no idea my Iron was low until I got the test for my preop testing. At that point I was a 15. So they cancelled my surgery I got my blood work done every 6 weeks. I had extremely heavy periods so my gyno suggested that I get an ablation which I had done in August. I am now scheduled for September 26th. I have to get my blood work done again on Monday. It has been a very long road, but now that my period isn't an issue it seems to moving right along. I am taking 4 Iron supplements daily. Also make sure you take in extra Vitamin C, it helps with absorbing iron.

Oh wow! That's what I'm worried about! Sorry they postponed you!! That must've been very hard! I'm so excited about this surgery that I would be devastated if they postponed it! I also have extremely heavy periods. I've never heard of an ablation. Totally going to google that! I would love to have something that could slow my flow, I had no idea that was possible. I'm going to go out and find the best iron possible and drink all the oj and Vitamin C supplements now!

Thank you all for this advice!

I had my ablation on August 5th & it has been awesome. I had a little spotting right after which is normal, but that definitely beats the heavy periods I had before. And now no worrying about my Iron since that's what caused it. Getting it to go up was hard, but just remember our doctors are only trying to be safe. Low Iron can cause excessive bleeding. It was hard at the time, but looking back now. My sister in law had the sleeve in January so it does stink, but I am excited it's finally almost here!