Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is Your Biggest Guilty Pleasure? (Food or Not)

Whether or not we like to admit it, I think we all have guilty pleasures. They make life worth living! Maybe it’s binge-watching a series on Netflix, or sneaking that forbidden (if you’re a WLS patient) bottle of beer and a buffalo wing on Sunday afternoons while watching the football game with friends, or leaving dirty dishes in the sink all weekend until you get to them Sunday night. Maybe you even like displaying a little bit of passive-aggressive road rage by driving slowly when you can tell that the driver behind you is getting impatient.

So what is your biggest guilty pleasure? If it has to do with food, how do you balance it with your weight loss surgery diet and healthy intentions? Some of the best ways to get in that guilty pleasure are to have just a little while throwing away the rest (like eating the burger but not the bun, or the beef and Beans but not the tortilla), or having just a bite. You can also plan for it – for example, if you’re several months or more post-op and you know your stomach can handle it, you can cut back on calories for a couple of days to “save up” the hundreds of extras you’d need to balance out a milkshake.

totally forbidden- Soda. yup, i admit it.

obviously, VERY much a large component of my regain. sorry to see it go...

Good question! food wise is definitely coffee with real sugar and cream. Its a rare treat now. Usually I do splenda, but it has an empty sweetness and not really like my real coffee. I can easily go without cake, ice cream, Pasta but coffee with real sugar is it. Now when I do have it, its half of a cup and less sugar than I used to use. It is usually getting cold by the time I get half way through it anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Cheddar cheese cubes. Sometimes they are my lunch, but NOT every day. The desire. for cheese was not a casualty of my surgery, unfortunately. I do find them filling, however (about 5-8 cubes).

I quit all four things at once for surgery. Not a good idea but I had to to get the operation.
Smoking
Pain pills
Alcohol
food.

I need to see a psychiatrist because w out those things im very emotional.

My relationship with my former loves like ice creams and Desserts ( cheese included) have changed so much now that I don't even think about ordering them or buying them. On rare occasions I might take a bite or two but it doesn't give me the same satisfaction it used to like in my mindless eating days.

I still treat myself to occasional chai at a Indian restaurant. But don't miss the Starbucks addictions. Funny how much surgery changed me not just physically.

I think my new guilty pleasure will be upgrading my clothing, shoe and jewelry wardrobes. Nothing that I owned a year ago fits and I was hesitant about getting rid of everything all at once but it's high time I let go of my fat clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by dusky goddess

Not food related: Online shopping at Amazon.

How I deal: I keep them in my basket for a long time, reviewing it often and then deleting the unneeded stuff. Hehe

food related: I love chips.

How I deal: Mainly, I don't buy them anymore. If I do eat them, I limit myself to eat half to one serving and cut back on the rest of the day's food to stay in my calorie range.

This past year, the guilt outweighed the yumminess though so that's why I just stopped buying them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Chai tea lattes, whether from Starbucks, independent coffee houses or my own Keurig, I have to be careful not to "treat" myself too often. I can see this developing into a very bad habit, and yes, I do feel guilty about consuming them, but they are quite pleasurable.

believe it or not

Protein Bars - double chocolate chunk

OMG - so yummy

alllll, any sweets

bear claws, danish etc

rather/MUST abstain :angry:

kathy

For me it has to be dark chocolate! It is my guilty pleasure and I have to be very very careful with it because it can be hard to control.

I know dark chocolate is not the worst thing ever and even has some health benefits. That being said, the benefit can go out the window if you eat half a bag or a whole bar.

So, first of all I account for it in my tracking which helps to hold me accountable. I buy it only when I want it so I don't keep a stash in the house. I buy limited quantity now, like one small bar and allow myself either 1/4 or 1/2 bar.

I do feel guilty when I overdue.....so, it is my guilty pleasure.

Subscription beauty boxes. I currently get Ipsy and Sephora Play. I get a Walmart box every 3 months and try to catch the Target box. Thinking about adding the Essence box into the mix.

Sent from my XT1565 using the BariatricPal App

My guilty pleasure is going to the mall and buying clothes without having to worry that they don't carry my size. I march my happy butt into Macy's and Nordstroms and Gap and American Eagle and know I am walking out with something new to enjoy that fits. Yes, it's probably an utter waste of money, but I love shopping and I can go with my daughter and not feel like I'm embarrassing her with her fat mom who can't even fit between the racks much less buy anything in the entire mall. I've been to the mall 3 times in 2wks and am planning To go again next weekend. Previously I hadn't been to the mall for 11yrs because of my size and condition.

Dude i use eat chinese food every single ppv sunday night about 2 times a month but it was very unhealthy lol 2 small orders french fries three eggrolls and i had crispy chicken with pork fried rice alll of that I use to eat for 2 years straight lol now I just saw a ppv today and I was a little sad

Mines is taking 1 bite out of something I might want to try. Like If my boyfriend is having something I don't usually eat I take one small bite.

sometimes, when I am homesick, or the world feels like a dark place, I play Christmas music - no matter what time of year it is.