Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Share Your Best Story of Someone Noticing Your Weight Loss

It feels good to lose weight. You can gain health, energy, and self-confidence. For many of us, it feels good when people notice our weight loss. It can be a confirmation that looking better isn’t just in our own heads, and also a validation of weight loss surgery and the hard work that goes along with WLS.

Some people notice your weight loss sooner, while others notice it later. If you have friends or family members whom you only see rarely, such as at family reunions or over the holidays, they might see you after surgery for the first time after you’ve lost 50 or 100 lbs or more, and have trouble recognizing you!

Do you have any great stories about someone noticing your weight loss? Maybe they didn’t recognize you, or got super excited for you, or said something that made you feel grateful and proud. Share your story here!

I didnt see one doctor for about 6 months. When he saw me he screamed my name and gave me a big bear hug in the waiting room yelling how amazing I looked. Mind you I was about 80lbs down, but firmly in the 300s. But it made my month. He was so good about pushing me in a really good way to do something about the weight.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

When I left school mid-semester two years ago, I weighed 450 pounds. I finally came back to school 3 weeks ago, and a few days ago I ran into one of my professors who hasn't seen me since I left. I'm nearly 250 pounds lighter than when she saw me last. She greeted me with a huge smile and a ton of excitement, but never said anything about my weight loss. She just sort of gave me this proud, happy look. She didn't want to say anything but was obviously so, so happy for me and happy to see me back. It was a really nice and uplifting moment of non-verbal communication. She managed to express how happy she was for me without making me feel uncomfortable. I really appreciated it! :)

Few days ago I had another appointment with my Endo. Last time I saw her was in May.

She looked around the waiting room, then said ? Margo ?

She said she didn't recognise me, and that I looked great, and congratulated me :)

She also reduced my med to 1/2 of the original dose.

:) :) :)

I saw my brother in law a couple weeks ago first the first time since I had surgery...he sees me and says ..Holy Sh*t girl....where's the rest of you!!?? You look great!! And he continued to carry on for a good 5 minutes...lol ...By far the best reaction I've had so far...I still chuckle about it [emoji3][emoji106]

Well...I don't know that I should be grateful and/or proud, but it's still my best ever someone noticing my weight loss story. Here goes:

I was out of work for about three months due to several health issues surrounding my bi-lateral hip replacement back in October 2013. When I was back in the office, I was taking cabs to and from the train station to work as I was still on a cane and still getting my strength and mobility back. The majority of the cabbies are from India and other Asian countries and as such, English is not their first language and the nuances are often lost on them.

With that in mind, I could only say thank you when a cabbie who knew me well, commented on my weight loss by loudly and happily saying 'You not fat anymore!' :lol:

Our daughter saw my husband and I two months after the sleeve. She burst into great tears, because she has known the health struggles we have had, the endless extreme fasting, the $5,000 liquid shake plan for a year (twice). My husband is 69, and for the first time in his life, he is slim, trim and happy. No more WL seminars ever, like the past 15 years.

My son came home from getting his Master's degree abroad. He had been out of the country for 20 months. I didn't tell him about the surgery. We had face time and pictures throughout that time, but I guess he didn't notice the changes taking place. When we met him at the airport, I started waving while a little distance away and he kept looking past me, didn't even realize it was me until he was about six feet away! What a startled expression he had on his face!

I ran into my ex-mother-in-law at Walmart. She didn't recognize me. I had to tell her who I was. She just stood there with a blank look on her face. I hugged her (she has always disliked me, I'm passive aggressive). Anyway, sh e told my ex and he immediately text me to tell me how she didn't recognize me and how great I looked. In your face witch...

I ran into my ex-mother-in-law at Walmart. She didn't recognize me. I had to tell her who I was. She just stood there with a blank look on her face. I hugged her (she has always disliked me, I'm passive aggressive). Anyway, sh e told my ex and he immediately text me to tell me how she didn't recognize me and how great I looked. In your face witch...

Lol - that's great!!!

My best moment involves a stranger who noticed the effect of my weight loss, not the loss itself.

During intermission at a play, my most colossally supportive friend was taking pictures for my weight-loss record. I'd just reached 198, down 115 lbs from my highest of 310. I was dressed to show that a woman's body had emerged from under the fat. For the first time ever, I was comfortable and eager in front of a camera. Instead of just standing for the shots, I was doing 'that model thing,' moving and swinging myself, then stopping in whatever pose was the result. My friend was getting impatient, but a woman who'd been watching stepped closer and said to him, "She's good..."

Her observation was a thrill. Just as good is that, upon recognizing that I was about to protest, "Oh, you don't understand...never comfortable in front of a camera....lost a lot of weight...blah blah," I shut myself up. My full response to her was a big smile and a big "Thank you."

@@Alex Brecher, tremendous topic. A chance for all to crow and laugh and get weepy, whether already "arrived" or "renewing vows" with a vengeance or seeking the energy to keep going or just starting. Finally, a "one size fits all." I'm reaching for a hanky.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I started a new position right after my WLS. When you work with people everyday they notice- but they see the gradual loss. My boss (who I couldn't stand- feelings were mutual) went to work at another location. She is an athlete, and weighs 100#'s soaking wet. I saw her recently and she paused, staring at me confused and said "are you losing weight." I responded "yeah, I'm working at it" but I was totally thinking "that's right wench- you aren't the only skinny b!tch"

One of my younger sister's graduated yesterday and my brother, who I haven't seen in nearly 2 years told me how good I looked. Another sister who saw me yesterday said she almost didn't recognize me lol. Later that night she sent me a heartfelt text saying that she can see my new confidence and asked that I continue to embrace it. Her text meant a lot to me considering the fact that she and I didn't always have a close knit relationship. Her encouragement made me feel good enough to keep going forward in my weight loss process :)

My best-

My sister. She and I are very close, and she loves about 60 min away. Usually, we see each other once a week, just went up North in July to our summer place together, and most importantly, I spent the first 5 days post op at her house. (She's an awesome care-giver!)

Getting my oldest off to college, the other two settled in to HS and all kinds of stuff- I haven't physically seen her in 6 weeks. That's so unusual for us!

Friday night I popped over by her unexpectedly, and walked into her kitchen. Her hubby was there and I thought his jaw was going to fall off his face. "Holy Sh!t" he kept repeating -and gave me a huge hug. I was laughing at him as I proceeded out back to see my sister, just figuring she'd say hello and give me crap for not coming out sooner. Nope- same response from her as her hubby! THAT one really got me because she is not overly demonstrative nor does she ever go on and on about things.

Having those who know me best- and have been through the journey with me since the day I first considered it, react that way FAR outweighs any comments from random friends or neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App