Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bananas are NOT a low carb food

@Outsidemachine Thanks for the reminder about bananas and the list of other lesser carb foods to choose from. Theres no debate about whats a healthier choice I think the statement "They basically have the same macros as 3 oreo Cookies. Almost no Fiber, lots of sugar and just pure carbs." may have been read by some as THEY'RE NO BETTER THAN AN OREO and I don't think that was the point. It was an informative post for those who happen to be following a lower carb diet. I think we all have been down the banana ave. once or twice as I'm willing to bet 99% of us were chronic yo-yo dieters prior to WLS and the whole deal about bananas usually comes up at some point.

Many are on their journey and hit stalls. They may wonder how to break it as @innersurfergirl always reminds us that stalls are a normal part of the weight loss process. Banana's could very well be a culprit if you have them regularly. No one is saying never eat them. I have the equivalent of 1 banana per 7 days in various forms 1/4 banana cut up in a chia bowl, 1/4 tossed in a smoothie, or a portion of a banana as pre or post workout snack.< /p>

The moral of this story-- Bananas are good. They are a complex carb that can be a great source of Fiber and potassium and help sweeten our foods (oatmeal, Cereal, smoothies) naturally which may help curb a sweet tooth. Like anything else enjoy in moderation. Those of you knocking back bananas and still seeing weight loss-- HAVE at IT! Those of you hitting stalls-- fill in the blank.

The moral of this story-- Bananas are good. They are a complex carb that can be a great source of fiber and potassium and help sweeten our foods (oatmeal, Cereal, smoothies) naturally which may help curb a sweet tooth. Like anything else enjoy in moderation. Those of you knocking back bananas and still seeing weight loss-- HAVE at IT! Those of you hitting stalls-- fill in the blank.

EXCELLENT post. I think the debate should be over now. You are completely on point.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think the debate should be over now.

HA! What fantasy world are you living in!?!?!?!

(FTR, my WWs leader wasn't happy about people consuming bananas nor was my LAWL coach.)

The one where monkeys fly, Dorothy has Ruby Slippers, and the Yellow Brick Road takes you through a Poppy Field where you get happily high....

Hey, was just catching up on this.....yes, while eating a banana for my snack! LOL!

Love it.

Yes bananas are on my soft food as well in 2 oz portion and I like to have a fruit or veg now and then

I do agree not same as Oreo but I appreciate the nutrition reminder as well because it is good to make comparisons when choosing between foods. Esp helpful for those who don't use apps.

For me tracking keeps me aware and honest to myself.

Yup. I just think @@OutsideMatchInside 's point is some carbs affect our bodies the same way. Sugar is sugar is sugar. And she's totally correct.

I posted a TED Talk video in another thread about how carbs affect our bodies. Very informative.

While I agree that you should watch your intake of all sugars, I don't agree with the "sugar is sugar is sugar" comment. I FIRMLY believe that sugar taken in via fruit is FAR different than sugar taken in through liquids or processed foods. The difference is the fiber. If you eat fruit whole, you are taking in the fiber along with the sugars which prevents your body from digesting the sugar as quickly as if you were eating an oreo. This allows your liver to process it at a much slower pace and it doesn't throw your blood sugar as far off balance as if you were eating oreos or any other processed foods.

I agree wholeheartedly that eating fruit whole or blending it is never a bad thing. That said, a true "serving" of fruit should never really be larger than a tennis ball....so while a banana is a far better choice than say,...oreos, 5 bananas is probably excessive.

I think your previous statement about eating clean was dead on the money. If you stick to a diet full of whole foods and lean Proteins, and stay away from processed foods altogether, I think you have more freedom in terms of amounts. It's when the processed foods enter the picture, pastas, breads, candies, bacon, sausage, etc....things start to go off the rails fast...that's been my experience so far anyhow. I don't set limits on what I eat. I just have one rule. As minimally processed as possible. I attribute a large part of my success so far to that.

good thing I don't really like bananas... I only eat them if I have too because my potassium is low or if they are frozen like a popsicle with chocolate on them :P and since both cases are rare...

Ha! Saw my NUT today, yes she is a registered dietician who specialized in bariatrics. Asked her what she thought about bananas? Her reply? Yes. Why not? Eat a half of a small one. Enjoy!!