Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For the Re-Gainers who have LOST, please share HOW you lost it again

I would like to start a thread for all those following this forum that tells others about RE-losing.

So if you are a patient who LOST, then GAINED, then LOST it again, please share with us all your method of losing.

Did you go back to pre-op/post-op phases? A 2 ,5,8 day pouch reset? A specific low carb type plan? Keto? Paleo?

Please feel free to share as this is helpful to each of us in our journey.

I lost almost 6 pounds doing intermittent fasting, or the 5:2 Diet. On my "normal" eating days, I was eating 1200 calories and eating very clean and healthy and very low carb, and on my fast days I was eating 500 calories. On my fast days I would fast from the evening before (Say 9:00 pm on) until noon the next day (still drinking lots of Water and even black coffee or tea), and use my 500 calories up the rest of the day. That worked for me. Here's a basic explanation of the plan:

https://authoritynutrition.com/the-5-2-diet-guide/

the day i couldn't fit into my fav jeans.... i woke up and said.... Not me. Im not going to be one of those people that gain it all back.... So i did what i know worked... stopped buy the bad stuff... (happy foods) Ice cream, chips, Cookies... If you don't buy them, you can't eat them.

A year ago this past July i got back to 160.... today im 134....

Remember what got you at your lowest and set your mind to do it again......

I got up about 15 lbs at one point, and occasionally stray over into the "red zone" by a couple of pounds. The basic principles of how I lose weight are the same:

--eat less than 1200 calories per day

--weigh or measure all food and track religiously on myfitnesspal to make sure I am confident about staying under 1200 calories per day

--eat at least 75 grams of Protein per day

--avoid: grains, starchy veggies, sweets, processed meat (sausage, bacon, Jerky, deli or lunch meat), liquid calories, and tropical fruits

--moderate intake: Beans, nuts, fruit, dairy

--eat mostly: lean, dense protein, green veggies, eggs

--vigorous exercise for at least 30 minutes per day, 5 days a week, but do not attempt to 'eat back' calories burned via exercise. Ignore them.

When I have gotten uncomfortably over my goal weight, I may start with a "3 day meat test" or "5 day meat and green veggies test." They are just what they sound like: three days of eating nothing but lean, unprocessed meat (and eggs) and small amounts of healthy fats -- no counting calories or restricting amounts to eat, eat as much as I want, but very severely limit the kind of food I eat. Alternatively, I can do this for five days if I add in green veggies as an "allowed" food.

But in either event, if at the end of three or five days I haven't gotten back to where I want to be, I restrict amounts and journal all calories, carbs, etc. faithfully.

A few things I do to make it easier -- 1) get all off-plan food out of the house entirely (no one needs to eat that crap, the rest of your family can live without immediate access to it for a little while); 2) recognize where I tend to struggle and stop myself from being able to "give in." For me, I really want to snack on junk food at work. So, I stopped taking any form of money with me to work. No cash, no credit or debit cards, no checkbook, nothing. It's scary to leave the house without money, but it's never caused me any sort of emergency. Other people might have trouble with driving by their favorite doughnut store -- in that case, change your route so you don't go by it. I call these brute force methods -- they are tough, but they work (unless you are willing to rob the snack shop at work, which I am not).

Good luck everyone!

I got down to 175 briefly and wanted to lose another 10-20 (still not sure what will be ideal weight for me). Instead I promptly gained 12 or so pounds, which meant I needed to lose 25. That felt like "same old, same old" and I definitely wanted to nip that in the bud. I love my collar bones and hips -- and my size ten jeans, etc.! Friends (non-WLS) and spouse went on Whole30 program which is basically Protein and veggies, a little whole fruit, some nuts, etc. but easy on all that -- basically meat, fish, chicken and veg. It's how I need to be eating anyway and I have been able to get back on track for myself that way. Feels good. With a band it's really important to chew, chew, chew and to avoid slider foods. Of course it's easy to come to rely on those yummy things like yogurts, fancy cheeses, etc. Oh, and alcohol apparently does me no favors as far as the scale is concerned. Avoiding the constant wine & cheese party mode is very helpful. I am back in the jeans I had before and hopefully on my way to the next pair that are waiting.

Wonderful responses so far, and all very insightful. A great resource for all the regainers!

I got down to 175 briefly and wanted to lose another 10-20 (still not sure what will be ideal weight for me). Instead I promptly gained 12 or so pounds, which meant I needed to lose 25. That felt like "same old, same old" and I definitely wanted to nip that in the bud. I love my collar bones and hips -- and my size ten jeans, etc.! Friends (non-WLS) and spouse went on Whole30 program which is basically Protein and veggies, a little whole fruit, some nuts, etc. but easy on all that -- basically meat, fish, chicken and veg. It's how I need to be eating anyway and I have been able to get back on track for myself that way. Feels good. With a band it's really important to chew, chew, chew and to avoid slider foods. Of course it's easy to come to rely on those yummy things like yogurts, fancy cheeses, etc. Oh, and alcohol apparently does me no favors as far as the scale is concerned. Avoiding the constant wine & cheese party mode is very helpful. I am back in the jeans I had before and hopefully on my way to the next pair that are waiting.

Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

I will be nine years out from RNY next month. I have had regains and lost it several times.

1. Calories count - to lose a pound a week I must eliminate 500 calories a day
  2. I weigh every single day
  3. I take my Vitamins and drink my Water
  4. I log every bite in My Fitness Pal

My goal is 136. I maintain at 1400 calories a day and lose at 900 calories a day. I have tried every single gimmick out there and only restricting calories has ever worked to lose the weight.

I had my sleeve on March 15, 2011. I am 5'8.5 and was 283lbs. I also have liver disease (auto-immune in nature) and may at some point need a liver transplant as there is no cure for this disease. I knew I could not have the transplant (should I need one) being overweight (actually more than overweight..being obese.) So I went from 283 to 175 in one year. I lost an average of 10 lbs per month with a few stalls of 3 weeks at a time . I meticulously kept track of all my calories, Proteins, carbs etc on Fat Secret. I pre-planned my meals etc etc. My husband didn't like the me at 175 and I was a bit on the thin side thru the trunk with my ribs and chest wall really sticking out as well as my hips. I had no butt or boobs anymore. Just pieces of skin hanging down. However I felt pretty good and still couldn't believe I could fit into the clothes that were my size. I got to the point that I was starting to get embarrassed about the no butt and buying a bra was horrible because I couldn't find one that fit correctly. My boobs were flat and wrinkled and I had to stuff them in the cup then the cup would cave in on top and if I bent over my boobs would fall out of the cups..talk about embarrassing. I decided to gain about 10 lbs to see if at 185 I would look better which I did a bit. But the problem was those 10 lbs brought 10 friends then those 10 friends brought 5 more. Now I am struggling to remember how I took the weight off in the first place and wondering where do I begin? I would be happy to hear what is working you all...it would be so great if I could get down 10-15 lbs by the first of the year. BTW I am 64 and since losing weight I have incurred a serious back issue making it difficult to exercise. I was swimming laps 3 times a week and riding a bike 5miles in 30 minutes on changing terrain (uphill/flat/downhill) 3 times a week. The Dr won't do the back shots anymore because I'm a bleeder so not sure what I'm going to do now. Thank you all for listening and I am anxious to hear your advice!