Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not sure if any WLS pts on here have been given this, but I've read SO MANY posts from people who had WLS and then later needed gall bladder surgery.

My surgeon put me on Actigall immediately post op- for three months- to prevent issues with said little bile-producing buggar.

Also goes by name Ursodiol.

No post op gall bladder issues here. Whether or not it's coincidental, I'll never know. But having the med on board was part of his regimen, and I was happy enough to comply.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I take it twice a day as well, starting immediately post op. Except my surgeon wants me to do it for 6 months- not 3. I hope it works!

I think it is pretty standard. I was prescribed Ursodiol post-op. I know it is supposed to help get the gallbladder working again after surgery. I don't think it is a guarantee that the gallbladder won't have issues, though.

I also had to take it for six months. My surgeon said it greatly reduces the risk of gall bladder problems, but it doesn't completely eliminate it.

Interesting! I never heard of it before these boards, but I am new to this WLS thing. I had to have my gallbladder out years ago after losing only 40 pounds on Weight Watchers. I wonder why they don't give people this drug when they are planning to lose by means other than WLS? I am also surprised that so many people considering WLS say they have lost and regained like 100 pounds many times and yet they still haven't had gallbladder issues. They are lucky!!!

I was prescribed Actigall for the first two months after surgery. I was also prescribed a PPI for the first 30 days, and continue to take an over the counter acid reducer daily as a precaution.

I was prescribed Actigall for the first two months after surgery. I was also prescribed a PPI for the first 30 days, and continue to take an over the counter acid reducer daily as a precaution.

My doc also has me on a PPI, yet I find that I still have an occasional issue with the acid, and need to turn to OTC zantac. Frustrating, at best. And the pain is completely different that pre-op, so it took a while to discern that it was, indeed, acid.

Ok. Wth. Keeps saying content not available.

Edited by LisaMergs

I have to start the Actigall next week... at the two week mark. I graduate to soft food and actigal on the same day :D

You will be awesome! Bet you can't wait! It goes so fast, really. I don't know how- lol- but it does!

Ok, my Actigal is huge, and I can’t take it without major discomfort. My nutitionist said to open the capsule and pour it over soft food such as sf pudding, but the taste is TERRIBLE. I gag every time. Have you all found better success when taking larger capsules such as Actigal?