Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I have bread and if not why?

Oh god no no no. Won't touch bread or Pasta. Or rice. My weight loss is on track, I can live without it, and quite frankly, a taste usually blocks my stomach. So no.

That said, I will have a small (1/4 cup) of hard pretzels if my weight is not moving. But that's me. shakes it up. And I can stop after the small amount and not trigger carb- lust.

There are better things to lust after.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My nut actually pushed me to eat bread (as toast) for Breakfast and has no qualms about it. The reason being is if I eat anything runny or mushy, especially liquids or yoghurt, I get SO sick!! It goes straight through me, so she said do some toast. I never eat the whole piece but it's just adds substance and I tolerate food that way.

I reposted this post because the previous post left me a NEWBIE with unanswered questions. Also because the old post was about three years old with that being said alot of things change in a matter of minutes. This is for each individual replying if you don't like the post simply move on. If you are like me simply looking for advise from others that have had one of these experiences please feel free to respond. Newbies are almost always left with unanswered questions clearly that is why someone had an idea to create this site. I am praying that each individual old or new finds great health and continued efforts towards better lives....

a ketogenic or strict low carb diet would be < 20 per day - but my plan which is considered regular low carb would be <60 per day.

some people are on that strict low carb ketogenic diet, but other people have a bariatric team that prefers a more balanced approach to dietary needs.

My plan allows for carbs, much like @@Christinamo7, but I've chosen to limit things like bread and Pasta to keep my weight loss moving better. That said, I have eaten toast with a poached egg and didn't have any issues at all with it. It fills me up very quickly and sits kind of heavily in my stomach, so I don't really enjoy it like I used to. And when I eat bread, I make sure it's the highest fiber/lowest sugar I can find. Simple carbs like white flour and sugar are the ones I avoid like the plague.

I am two weeks post op. My dr/nut told me to add gradually. But also in moderation. Make healthy choices. Some will say no, some will say yes, ultimately it is the individuals toleration and dr/nut plan. I have heard some say that they experienced dumping after eating bread and some that took two thru three bites and had no problems afterwhich they became full and fulfilled the craving without relapsing. My dr/nut had me start on a stage that most people told me they hadn't started until six months out. Funny thing my nurse told me was don't listen to everyone you can use caution on what may trigger your sleeve and give you irritation but most importantly listen to your individual dr/nut and also pay close attention to you own individual body. I wouldn't go head crazy over bread but I would ask my dr/nut what they would prefer for you to have if you are having that craving. This is an old post but I decided to post anyway in case someone just as I, who was spending most of their time searching for every single piece of food that we place in our mouths after surgery trying to make sure that we weren't about to stretch our sleeve making sure that you ask your dr/nut and also look for those that have somewhat the same tolerants as you. Your body may or may not adjust well to bread. Take a bite of healthy whole grain or wheat bread and walk away. If you make it through that with no problems eat in serving portions and watch the calories and limit the rest of your calorie intake for the rest of the day.....Good luck to anyone who has had the sleeve, and congrats to those that have made it to their goal weight. God bless

Wait. You're two weeks post op and literally advising people to eat bread?

I reposted this post because the previous post left me a NEWBIE with unanswered questions. Also because the old post was about three years old with that being said alot of things change in a matter of minutes. This is for each individual replying if you don't like the post simply move on. If you are like me simply looking for advise from others that have had one of these experiences please feel free to respond. Newbies are almost always left with unanswered questions clearly that is why someone had an idea to create this site. I am praying that each individual old or new finds great health and continued efforts towards better lives....

What was the question you were left with? Seems like you were answering.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I am two weeks post op. My dr/nut told me to add gradually. But also in moderation. Make healthy choices. Some will say no, some will say yes, ultimately it is the individuals toleration and dr/nut plan. I have heard some say that they experienced dumping after eating bread and some that took two thru three bites and had no problems afterwhich they became full and fulfilled the craving without relapsing. My dr/nut had me start on a stage that most people told me they hadn't started until six months out. Funny thing my nurse told me was don't listen to everyone you can use caution on what may trigger your sleeve and give you irritation but most importantly listen to your individual dr/nut and also pay close attention to you own individual body. I wouldn't go head crazy over bread but I would ask my dr/nut what they would prefer for you to have if you are having that craving. This is an old post but I decided to post anyway in case someone just as I, who was spending most of their time searching for every single piece of food that we place in our mouths after surgery trying to make sure that we weren't about to stretch our sleeve making sure that you ask your dr/nut and also look for those that have somewhat the same tolerants as you. Your body may or may not adjust well to bread. Take a bite of healthy whole grain or wheat bread and walk away. If you make it through that with no problems eat in serving portions and watch the calories and limit the rest of your calorie intake for the rest of the day.....Good luck to anyone who has had the sleeve, and congrats to those that have made it to their goal weight. God bless

I did not advise anyone to eat bread I asked the question can I have bread and if not why.....Follow the entire post not just my beginning statement from my own personal experience.....

I did not advise anyone to eat bread I asked the question can I have bread and if not why.....Follow the entire post not just my beginning statement from my own personal experience.....
You said to take a bite of wheat bread and walk away.

*or healthy whole grain.

I was advised after surgery that there would be changes that I needed to make. So I would be up til 4-5 in the morning going from site to site researching various questions that for some reason felt like pulling teeth when I asked my dr, my nut said eat this or that but my dr said listen to me. Me being a newbie had me looking not just from one prospective but from many especially from those that have undergone a similar surgery as mine. I read blogs, watch videos and quite frankly I finally understand why so many people actually end their posts or most questions never get answered. If you don't understand the question or misinterpreted what was asked. However instead of rudely replying to my comment how about giving advise from your experience....Just A Thought...IJS...

I am not a dr/nut

I am a patient who recently had VSG, I am seeking advise from those that have also undergone VSG and have advise from their personal experiences dealing with breads, dumping and things of that sort......Yes Alex that is my final answer....

All carbohydrates are NOT created equal. This is an amazing video explaining the difference and how certain ones cause metabolic syndrome (which all of us had because we were obese). Personally I rarely did them in my losing phase and only in moderation in my maintenance phase and only in the form of whole grains. Nothing "white".

@@Babbs thank you for the video

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App