Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods My Pouch Can Tolerate

I had my surgery on 8/19/2016 and I am still on the puréed foods part of my diet. First couple of weeks my stomach tolerated everything (yogurts, refried Beans, different temperature waters, cottage cheese, foods from my approved list). I watch carbs and sugars. However, it's like my new pouch woke up this week and now every time I eat something I dump (yuck!). It's got to the point now even thinking about food is starting to make me sick.

Will this go away or is this something that I need to adapt to?

Also, what are some basic foods that are super easy for the pouch to tolerate? Like brands of yogurt (or if some people just can't eat yogurt).

Please help as going to restroom as soon as I finish is making me sick.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've been having the 0 fat Elle & Vire yoghurt and no issue. I am allowed hummus as well and make my own, no issue there either, I can give you the recipe if you are interested. I am allowed a boiled egg, I chop it up finely and eat it with some of the hummus, also not bothering my stomach. Otherwise I'm mostly having pureed Soup, I make a bone broth, sieve it, add the veggies then puree once they're soft. No issues with veggie or lentil Soup.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using the BariatricPal App

I would love to have the recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing. Is bone broth hard to make?

Sure ????, for the hummus: 1 can chickpeas, discard can Water, boil in clean Water for 5 minutes , discard water, boil again in clean water for 5 minutes, strain. Put chickpeas in a food processor with 2 cloves garlic, process, add 1/2 cup tahineh, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1-2 tsp salt as per your taste, process again, add 5 cubes of ice, process again till ice has all melted, done. Bone broth is very easy. You can use any bones you like (beef, lamb, chicken etc, if using fish, you need to add the head). Wash the bones (rinse to remove blood etc but no need to remove fat or meat), place in a pot with 1/3 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg/ 1/2 tsp cardamom, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 3 bay leaves, 2-3 quartered red onions, 2 stalks celery. Add enough water to just cover, set heat to medium high. The tricky part is to not let it fully boil. It has to boil just enough that you will notice a dark foam forming on top, this has to be skimmed off or it will make the broth taste gamey and look cloudy. Any fat will also rise and can be skimmed off now or removed after solidifying in the fridge. Keep skimming the froth till it turns white then you can cover the pot and allow it to fully boil them simmer for 1 hour (if making fish broth, do not boil for more than 1/2 hour maximum). At that point taste the broth, adjust spices and add your aromatics (fresh parsley, thyme, coriander, basil, whatever you like) boil for another 5 minutes then strain into a new pot so you only have the broth left. Just realized how long this post is, sorry but I like to be very thorough in giving recipes :-). After the broth cools , refrigerate then remove fat once it solidifies and you can freeze for up to 3 months. If using immediately, add whatever veggies you like, add enough that the water barely covers them otherwise Soup will be too thin once you puree. Boil till soft, puree, adjust spices, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using the BariatricPal App

Edited by linah

I've been eating Elli Quark... which is a german-style cheese a lot like greek yogurt. It has a higher protein-to-carb ratio, it's slightly lower calorie, and lemme tell you, 4 tablespoons of it almost over fills me. It also tastes less sour to me than greek yogurt.

They have lots of great flavors, including those without chunks for us puree eaters...

I would love to have the recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing. Is bone broth hard to make?

I make a pot of Bone Broth every week. No, it is not hard to make, at all.

You can use chicken, beef, whatever kind of bones you like. The key is to cook it slowly for a long time. And you need to roast the bones first. You are not making Soup here- it takes a long while cooking to extract all the nutrients from the bones. I don't fully season it until after it is finished. Onion, garlic is about all I add to the Water.

Here is a good link-

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/common-mistakes/article/common-mistakes-bone-broth

Thanks everybody! I really appreciate this. It will work out especially since I will be grocery shopping today.