Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Balloon REGRET!

I have had my balloon in for 8 days now and I feel like crap ALL the time. I am taking my medications just like the doctor told me to, but I don't feel normal and barely get any relief. My stomach feels bloated all day long and I feel nausea most of the day.

I was told that the hardest days were the first 3 or 4, but no one ever mentioned it going past that. Anyone out there have the same experience? Any advice?

P.S. I have lost 5lbs so far.

I felt pretty bad for a couple of weeks, maybe longer, but no regrets at all. 45 pounds gone and for the last 4.5 months I've felt great. Its totally worth it. As far as you possibly being discouraged by the weight loss after 8 days, keep in mind you might be getting dehydrated and the body will hold on to Water weight until that's corrected, so sip small amounts several times an hour to up your fluids and ill bet you'll start to see some serious weight loss. Hang in there.

@@NPR - the first few days are miserable for sure, but it does not get 100% better immediately after that. Each day is better than the last, and things progress at a different pace for different people. I felt dramatically better after the first few days, but still felt a bit off for about a month (not miserable, but I could feel the balloon, my appetite went through various changes, etc.). Now I barely notice it. With only a few weeks to go I am down about 45 pounds and that is with A LOT of indulgences, events and travel along the way. So no regrets for me ... if I had it to do over again, I certainly would.

Hang in there - hopefully things will get better soon. In the meantime, make sure that you're getting enough Water and Protein - those two things alone can make you feel better. Also, make sure you're getting enough calories (per whatever your doctor advises). Some people drop way too low and end up feeling miserable, plus they stop losing because their bodies go into starvation mode. Lastly, focus on which foods agree with you and which do not. For example, some people struggle with Pasta. If you find foods that you like and are tolerable, you can limit yourself to them until you are able to stomach more.

Take it one step and one day at a time ... and be gentle with yourself. :-) Hopefully you will turn a corner soon. Best wishes!!

I'm 8 days out too. Also lost 5-6 lbs. I don't feel like crap all the time. But I don't feel great all the time either. I feel tired but I seem to be able to get things done. I also feel bloated and have been having reflux. Each day seems different. The last couple of days, my back has been hurting, but I've been getting a lot of kayaking and hiking in anyway. My back hurts even while hiking and I'm just powering through it. I'm going to see a PA at my doc's office tomorrow and I hope that we can figure out what foods aren't agreeing with me. It definitely seems like sipping beverages slowly and following the no drinking beverages with meals rule is important to avoid reflux. I haven't felt nauseous since the 4th day. I feel the balloon --meaning I feel full almost all the time. I have to really think about getting enough Protein, calories and Water in. I'm going to try downward dog for the back ache after I write this post. It's no walk in the park.

That being said, I don't regret it. I'm looking forward to the weight loss, slow or fast. I was reading another post that recommended some books on emotional eating. One of the books' suggestions was to list 10-15 advantages of losing weight on an index card and keeping it in your pocket, look at it when you are feeling negative. I did that today and it seems to have reset my attitude. I'm also trying to take care of myself, like resting, taking baths, getting a mani/pedi, trying to slow down my schedule so I can do this right. Are you doing anything to take care of yourself besides the meds? Also, my doctor wrote me a script for more anti-nausea Patches, maybe you could get yours to call in an Rx to your pharmacy.

@NPR-- here is a link to very specific instructions about Orbera that I found in one of the old threads. https://www.muhealth.org/app/files/public/2232/orbera-Surgery-Guidelines.docx

It says if you have nausea and/or vomiting, you should go back to clear liquid diet. It also has a list of questions you should ask yourself if you are feeling discomfort.

Hello there!

I'm going to balloon placement in 2 weeks and i wanted to get some feeback, i'm also not sure if to do the 1 balloon or 2 balloons, any feedback please??

Thanks

Hi @Greenmay:

Are you referring to Orbera vs. Re-Shape? If so, that's a tough one ... Orbera has been around longer so it has been tested more and has more research behind it (there is some comfort in 20 years of "tried and true"). Re-Shape uses blue dye so you know if you have a leak (which provides another kind of comfort) ... Orbera typically does not, but some doctors will do it. Some say the double balloon takes up more space so it makes you feel more full, however others say it's not the space that it takes up but the pushing on the stomach walls that makes you feel full - and Orbera is bigger in the middle so it touches more. Who knows what is truth! :-) For some people the answer may be as simple as which is offered closest to them, since both have limited availability in the US. (That factored into my decision as well as how I felt about the doctor I selected - I was just more comfortable with him and his facilities.) Similarly, some people choose based on which doctor has the most experience, and they go with whichever balloon s/he offers. Some people focus on cost (Re-Shape tends to cost more than Orbera), and some people on post-insertion support (each doctor's office is a bit different). So there is a lot that goes into the decision.

Unfortunately I cannot tell you much about Re-Shape since most of the ballooners I know got Orbera. I know one person who got Re-Shape and was miserably sick for a long time, and then barely lost any weight, if any. Although I think the person on these boards who posted the greatest balloon weight loss was a Re-Shaper? Not sure. Regardless, the information comparing the two is limited, so you may end up using other factors (such as those above) to make your decision. In the meantime you might want to try YouTube for more info - there are lots of balloon vloggers there. Good luck!