Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been taking synthroid for many years and am under the impression that weight loss has no bearing on the gland's functioning. A man who I met a few years back at support group, however, reported being taken off synthroid after losing weight. Then, again, I never thought he was a reliable source on most topics.

Try asking your prescribing doctor!

I am wondering if thyroid function improves after surgery?

I know some of us have problems with our thyroid, which makes losing weight harder.

Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

My Primary Doc said that I will still have to take my thyroid medication. The dosage may change but I will always need it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

Weight has no bearing on thyroid function, though thyroid function can have a bearing on weight. Make sure your thyroid is checked regularly during your weight loss and ensure you're on the optimal dose (may need to look around for a doc that tests more than just TSH) or it can cause your weight loss to slow down, even after surgery.

My levels are the same at 8 months out as the day I had surgery and I am now a normal BMI. Dosage of synthroid is the same too. However my energy is great and I feel great. My mental focus is also better.

@@northstar9148

I have Graves Disease (Hyper-thyroid), and I had to have my thyroid nuked with radioactive iodine last year, then wait 9 months for my thyroid to stabilise, hence my surgery was delayed by 9 months.

I started Thyroxine 100mcg in January 2016.

Since about 4 weeks past sleeve surgery, I have been progressively getting more and more hyper-thyroid again! With the weight-loss, my Thyroxine dose is too strong.

I have 6 weekly blood tests, and see my Endo every 3 months.

Last time she told me to not take one tablet per week. It takes weeks for new dose to work.

I have not slept well for months, and at times my pulse was racing, blood pressure was up and down, sweating came back, and horrible headaches. Plus really bad insomnia.

I am seeing my Endo this Thursday, had a blood test today.

Since I lost lot more weight since last time I saw her, I am quite sure that I am hyper-thyroid again, and I am hoping for another dose reduction.

I am tired of being awake at night, and even sleeping pills are not helping, unless I take 2 or 3!

So, for me, my thyroid disease did not slow my weight-loss at all.

I am just tired of being tired because I can't sleep.

I have to take my Thyroxine (Synthroid) for life, and I am hoping that once I get to my goal weight, and stay there, my Thyroxine dose will be lower and finally stable.

Had enough of my vampire hours .......

I have been having horrible depression and anxiety, and just went for blood work to see if my thyroid was out of range. I have Hashimoto's, so I'd been on 150mcg, but let my script lapse and wasn't on anything for the last three months. Was sure I'd have to get on mega doses to stabilize my thyroid function.

It was just barely out of range. The doc put me on 25mcg and we're rechecking in 6 weeks. But apparently the large amount of weight lost did change how my thyroid functions pretty significantly. So likely it's just hormones being crazy from the large amount of weight lost. We'll find out eventually.

I'm over 1.5 years out from surgery and down just under 120 lbs. lost.

@@northstar9148

I have Graves Disease (Hyper-thyroid), and I had to have my thyroid nuked with radioactive iodine last year, then wait 9 months for my thyroid to stabilise, hence my surgery was delayed by 9 months.

I started Thyroxine 100mcg in January 2016.

Since about 4 weeks past sleeve surgery, I have been progressively getting more and more hyper-thyroid again! With the weight-loss, my Thyroxine dose is too strong.

I have 6 weekly blood tests, and see my Endo every 3 months.

Last time she told me to not take one tablet per week. It takes weeks for new dose to work.

I have not slept well for months, and at times my pulse was racing, blood pressure was up and down, sweating came back, and horrible headaches. Plus really bad insomnia.

I am seeing my Endo this Thursday, had a blood test today.

Since I lost lot more weight since last time I saw her, I am quite sure that I am hyper-thyroid again, and I am hoping for another dose reduction.

I am tired of being awake at night, and even sleeping pills are not helping, unless I take 2 or 3!

So, for me, my thyroid disease did not slow my weight-loss at all.

I am just tired of being tired because I can't sleep.

I have to take my Thyroxine (Synthroid) for life, and I am hoping that once I get to my goal weight, and stay there, my Thyroxine dose will be lower and finally stable.

Had enough of my vampire hours .......

Hi krakow57, I am in the same boat and was wondering if my numbers would change. I haven't had my surgery yet, it on the 20th of September. I took radioactive iodine in 2006 and been on senthyroid 50mcg then after took a long time to even get on that. Every time I go back my readings are the same. Doctor finally told me he don't think my thyroid is dead just really low. I was wondering if losing weight would make me hyperthyroid again?

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

@@FrankiesGirl

Wow, that's a huge reduction from 150mcg to 25mcg!

Please let us know how you go on this low dose.

I wish I was on a low dose ..... I actually didn't want to take my Thyroxine for few days, but then I thought I better take it as prescribed and wait for my blood test result.

Congratulations on your fabulous weight-loss!

I agree, with bigger weight-loss, hormones do go nuts. I just wish they would settle down.

If not for my thyroid disease, my recovery from WLS would have been really easy and smooth.

@@lelewatson

You have a good point re radioactive iodine, as in some cases it doesn't work the first time, and some people need to do it again.

For me, prior RAI my TSH was < 0.01

After RAI, 4 months later my TSH was 17.4, in December 2015.

Started Thyroxine in Jan 2016, in Feb my TSH was 3.4, and in March it was 1.9

A month after my surgery, TSH was at 0.6

2-3 months later it was < 0.01 back to Hyper-thyroid.

I will know my latest blood results this coming Thursday, but physically I feel lot worse hyper-thyroid 6 months post op.

So, for me, the weight-loss made me hyper-thyroid again.

I even had few episodes of waking in the middle of the night with anxiety, and my hands shake at times.

I can't tell you if you will get hyper-thyroid post op, you will have to monitor it, and have regular blood tests.

All I know is what I read in this forum, and an Australian one, that for many of us the weight loss messed up our med dosages, and they had to be progressively lowered.

These people, like myself suffered from insomnia, irritability and feeling hyper.

The more weight is lost, the stronger the regular dose becomes, as it is calculated per Ib or per kg per person.

Gosh, I wish I was on 50mcg .... anyway, I will find out on Thursday.

Good luck with your op on the 20th September! :)

Thanks, and good luck to you in your numbers. Hope they are in a too range. How do you feel now? I can remember feeling the crazy rapid feeling when I was hyper. Not a good feeling. Couldn't focus, or think straight.

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App