Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six weeks out from surgery with limited weight loss. Ugh!

All, thanks so much for your thoughts. With the DS surgery, I was taught I would not be able tolerate fat and to Kerri my fat intake under 10 grams per portion.

Regarding sugar in my Protein shakes, the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shake has 100 calories with 3 grams of sugar. The Premier Protein Shake has 160 calories with 1 gram of sugar.

For general information, I'm 5'6" and currently weigh 338 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

All, thanks so much for your thoughts. With the DS surgery, I was taught I would not be able tolerate fat and to Kerri my fat intake under 10 grams per portion.

Regarding sugar in my Protein Shakes, the Unjury shake has 100 calories with 3 grams of sugar. The Premier Protein shake has 160 calories with 1 gram of sugar.

For general information, I'm 5'6" and currently weigh 338 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The sugar intake for the shakes is OK. Don't worry about the calories. I know it's a hard mindset to change but that's a DS benefit. If you can, I'd eat instead of drink, but that's up to you. I also sent you a PM.

Edited by Postop

@@James Marusek, Thanks. For the last week, I have been diligent in getting my Protein and fluids in. I have taken my Vitamins religiously since the month prior to surgery. All I know is that the clowns that say this is the "easy way out" are delusional!

@@catwoman7, Thanks for the encouragement! Congrats on your accomplishments as well!

@@SWEETTEA, I knew what you meant! :) I had the DS, so I essentially have a "banana" rather than a "thumb". Thanks for the support.

@, thanks! I would *love* to get rid of one of my shakes, but try as I might, it seems the only way I can get in all of my Protein. I will double down and skip eating eggs and see if I can get more "real" Protein in. Thanks for the support!

@@NewNewMe, thanks for the support! I feel like all I do is eat or think about eating now! I am going to rethink my Protein options this week. I have been eating a lot of eggs because they are easy and I do not have trouble with them, but honestly they aren't very high in Protein so methinks I need a new choice!

@@NewNewMe, thanks for the support! I feel like all I do is eat or think about eating now! I am going to rethink my Protein options this week. I have been eating a lot of eggs because they are easy and I do not have trouble with them, but honestly they aren't very high in protein so methinks I need a new choice!

Eggs are fine. Esp. when you're a new DSer. I ate 1 tsp. of scrambled eggs the first week. It's all I coukd get in for Breakfast. Nowadays, it's 3 eggs scrambled with cream cheese and ham mixed in. Others have that much plus toast. You'll see eggs work well for us. :)

Edited by Postop

@greeneyedgrrl26,

First of all, congratulations on your surgery and your 27 pounds lost!

I know it’s easy to get discouraged when there are weeks that you don’t lose weight, but try to put it in perspective. For example, you have been losing weight at an average of more than 4 lbs per week!

It might also help to compare your current rate of weight loss to your expectations before surgery. An awesome amount of weight to lose in the first year might be 80 to 100 lbs. You’re on pace for over 200 lbs in a year! Keeping that in mind, ask yourself again if you should really be discouraged because you are not losing weight at a steady rate every day or week, but rather in fits and starts.

If you are truly eating as your surgeon or nutritionist recommended, the weight will continue to come off. And yes, I say “continue” because the plateaus can just be a sign of your body catching up after those periods of major weight loss.

You asked, “How many times will this happen?” Infinite. As long as you’re losing weight, there will be stalls. They’re not fun, but you can’t prevent them. You just have to work through them, whether it means being patient while sticking to the eating and exercise program that you know is right, or whether it means changing things up a bit to get through the stall.

Good luck if you do get the endoscopy, and keep up the good work!

27lbs in 6 wwwks isn't terrible but could probably be improved upon. Try to limit calories to 800-900,, IMO I would limits one Protein shake or bar to Breakfast and 4-5 oz(perhaps a little less since your only 6 weeks out) of Protein for lunch and dinner. Can't go wrong with chicken or fish, some beef here and there will do also. Try this for a week and see how you make out. I have been doing this for 9 months and I'm down 145 lbs. My loss has been pretty consistent except some weeks I slacked off and consumed too many carbs from processed pre packaged food .

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by atlmag

27lbs in 6 wwwks isn't terrible but could probably be improved upon. Try to limit calories to 800-900,, IMO I would limits one Protein shake or bar to breakfast and 4-5 oz(perhaps a little less since your only 6 weeks out) of Protein for lunch and dinner. Can't go wrong with chicken or fish, some beef here and there will do also. Try this for a week and see how you make out. I have been doing this for 9 months and I'm down 145 lbs. My loss has been pretty consistent except some weeks I slacked off and consumed too many carbs from processed pre packaged food .

I think you should do what your surgeon says. DS requirements are different than RNY and VSG. For one thing, you malabsorb fat so you need more calories than we do.

27lbs in 6 wwwks isn't terrible but could probably be improved upon. Try to limit calories to 800-900,, IMO I would limits one Protein shake or bar to breakfast and 4-5 oz(perhaps a little less since your only 6 weeks out) of Protein for lunch and dinner. Can't go wrong with chicken or fish, some beef here and there will do also. Try this for a week and see how you make out. I have been doing this for 9 months and I'm down 145 lbs. My loss has been pretty consistent except some weeks I slacked off and consumed too many carbs from processed pre packaged food .

I think you should do what your surgeon says. DS requirements are different than RNY and VSG. For one thing, you malabsorb fat so you need more calories than we do.

Doing exactly what my surgeon says except for the few times I slacked off, btw I had vsg.

Doing exactly what my surgeon says except for the few times I slacked off, btw I had vsg.

sorry - I meant the original poster. Your recommendations are totally fine for RNY and VSG patients, but the requirements for DS are different.

@@greeneyedgrrl24

Give up the onions, the carbs aren't worth it. Use onion powder, spend money and get a good quality onion powder.< /p>

BTW, I lost 30 ish pounds in my first 6-8 weeks, but total in a year I have lost in excess of 144. This is a long distance run not a sprint.

Keep your Protein high, with your start weight you need it. I have at least 110 grams of Protein a day, most of days it is 130.

I would suggest that you start eating more real food. Baked fish, I have a recipe for bake swai in the recipe area. Eating simple clean real protein is better than shakes. However, if shakes are the only way you can get maintain your protein levels, keep drinking them. Just try to move to real food you lose weight faster with real food according to my Dr, and I agree.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

If it helps, we started around the same weight. I was 363 on day of surgery and since surgery about 6 weeks ago I have lost 29.4 pounds.

If your weight loss is out of the ordinary, then I should be worried too.