Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have such complicated feelings about all carbs--bad and good. I get really confused by the advice out there to the point where I get scared to even eat any. I talked to the nutrionist (I am not a big fan of her personality but she seems to know what she's talking about) the last visit and told her I was scared of adding any in. She said I should aim for around 75 grams a day and that I needed them for energy.

And I get that. I really do understand the concept of carbs. But my personal experience hasn't been great. I would say I've been pre-diabetic most of my life even at a healthy weight. I always had bad reactions to sugary foods, especially if eaten in the morning. As a teen I would weigh 150, eat a poptart (didn't know better back then), and have a hypoglycemic episode.

That turned into diabetes after carrying so much extra weight for so long and while I learned to eat better, ANY carbs could have the potential to spike my blood sugar. I started avoiding carbs in the mornings altogether.

Now that I'm 2.5 months out from surgery, my diet plan includes all kinds of things including oatmeal. I have read many opinions on carbs over the years. Low-carb--only eat a few to stay in ketosis. South Beach--avoid high-glycemic foods. Then it was ok, you can have carbs but make sure they aren't refined sugars/processed. Whole grain works best, etc.

So here I am trying to decide what my body can handle carb-wise. And I just don't know what to do. oatmeal is on my plan. I can't stand the Quaker low sugar version (blech). But I saw that Think Thin had a coupon out for a higher Protein oatmeal. So I gave it a try and I really liked it. But is that okay overall? Or too many carbs? Or are the carbs ok, since it's whole grain and going to be digested/released more slowly?

I just want to know how to go about handling carbs with my new body. I've been off insulin and all diabetic medication since the surgery and I would really REALLY like to stay that way. It runs in my family and I did the surgery specifically to get this all under control.

Here is the info on the oatmeal (I don't eat the whole container. Maybe 3/4?)

Ingredients: Whole grain blend (rolled oats, steel cut oats, red quinoa), isolated soy Protein, dried cane sugar, peanut drops (sugar, palm kernel oil, peanut flour, nonfat dry milk powder, salt, soy lecithin), peanuts, chicory root Fiber, honey powder (malformation,honey), peanut flour, sea salt.

Nutrition:

Calories 200 Sodium 220 mg Total Fat 5 g Potassium 0 mg Saturated 2 g Total Carbs 31 g Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 5 g Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 9 g Trans 0 g Protein 10 g Cholesterol 0 mg

I can't speak to your surgery as I'm bypass BUT the "only" carbs I really get are from fruit- blueberries, strawberries, peaches and cantaloupe. Pretty much the only ones I can tolerate.

On the other hand- and this is just ME- I can tolerate some pretzels and a particular brand of popcorn. I say just me because I don't have a problem eating just a handful and stopping. This occurs once or twice a week. I find that if my scale isn't moving, eating those two items kicks it into gear. Again- this is just me. As a bypass patient I'm constantly on the lookout for anything that can trigger a dumping episode. At just over 5 months out, I have yet to experience it. And I would prefer to keep it that way! Lol.

All this may not be what you were looking for, but it boils down to this- you need Protein (obviously) first, Vitamins, Water, and then after that, if there is room, add the carbs. Just be sure that your body can process them, they enhance your nutrition, and don't cause a stall. Also, fruits, especially berries, provide nutritional elements you simply can't supplement.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by LisaMergs

@@magoosmom I think the issue with that particular oatmeal is the added sugar. Try making plain oatmeal and adding fruit or stevia and cinnamon. Without the added sugars - oatmeal would be fine. You can get carbs from veggies and fruit as well. Quinoa is another good option. There's many different recipes you could try with that. I would avoid Pasta, bread, rice, sweets, etc.

I have not had surgery yet, struggling with not gaining weight between NUT appointments. **When** I lose weight, it is generally during extreme activity or low carbs. I'd not lose on 75 grams a day. When I do eat oatmeal I eat the slow cook Quaker brand. No instant stuff at all. And I usually add nuts like pecans and apple pieces and cinnamon, cloves, exedra. So the sugar in my oatmeal was coming from the fruit and I figured with the nuts in the apples it is a slower hit carb. Maybe eat oatmeal like mine and a boiled egg on the side.

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Anna Nim

My nut doesn't like any oatmeal or yogurts that have more than 10g sugar. For yogurt it can be hard to find Protein and low sugar unless you go Greek and I do triple zeros.

I found oatmeal the same and that the think thin and some other more high end brands had similar stats.

I have not had blood work yet, I can only share that carb goal and say that I have enjoyed the think thin but it does feel like a lot of calories when most of my Breakfast "meals"

are less than 100 calories. But maybe that is good since I worry I am slowing with loss due to low calories.

Stay away from the processed instant fake oatmeal. I make either oat groats (in a crock pot overnight -- I can make a small batch and keep it in the fridge, 5 days of breakfast) or hot oat bran Cereal. I make mine with cashew milk, add a little PB2 and some toasted nuts. No added sugar, and with the nuts and PB2 I end up with a good amount of Protein to go with the fiber and healthy carbs.

Oat bran and oat groats each have one ingredient: oat bran and oat groats, respectively.

My dietician recommended steel cut oatmeal for Breakfast, with a splash of milk, cinnamon, Peanut Butter, or a little fruit to jazz it up rather than adding in sugar or Syrup.

This article discusses some of the benefits: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-steel-cut-oats-2053.html

Trader Joe's sells frozen steel cut oatmeal that is surprisingly good, and nice for a quick, 1-dish breakfast. Sometimes I'll use a crockpot to make my own batch for the week. I prefer them cold (odd, I know) with some Fair Life milk. You can stir in an unflavored Protein powder like GENEPRO, or even a flavored one that enhances the oatmeal.

Definitely avoid the packaged flavored oatmeal, like those by Quaker Oats.

As for how many carbs to have in a day, I think it's really individual. I was advised to aim for around 50 grams to 100 per day. I've been successful with rapidly losing weight on low carb diets, but I've never had success at sustaining that weight loss. It's too restrictive for me, and I think it is for many people. The type of carb also matters a lot, of course. I try to get most of mine from fruit, vegetables, oatmeal, and things like crisp bread. Carbs are a good way to get in some fiber.

I"m trying to lose weight. Right in weight loss mode now. Down 190 lbs with 45 more to hit my goal weight.

Oatmeal......in any form.....is simply not something I'm eating right now. It is not relevant to my current goals.

Later on when I'm dialed in and living at maintenance, then some great steel cut oats made without sugar....just some salt, butter and a few blueberries.....sure. Great breakfast. Not during my weight loss phase.

I'm sure others disagree and they've gotta do what's best for them.

Just because something is "on my NUT's plan" doesn't always translate over to it being the best choice for me at the weight loss stage.

I have such complicated feelings about all carbs--bad and good. I get really confused by the advice out there to the point where I get scared to even eat any. I talked to the nutrionist (I am not a big fan of her personality but she seems to know what she's talking about) the last visit and told her I was scared of adding any in. She said I should aim for around 75 grams a day and that I needed them for energy.

And I get that. I really do understand the concept of carbs. But my personal experience hasn't been great. I would say I've been pre-diabetic most of my life even at a healthy weight. I always had bad reactions to sugary foods, especially if eaten in the morning. As a teen I would weigh 150, eat a poptart (didn't know better back then), and have a hypoglycemic episode.

That turned into diabetes after carrying so much extra weight for so long and while I learned to eat better, ANY carbs could have the potential to spike my blood sugar. I started avoiding carbs in the mornings altogether.

Now that I'm 2.5 months out from surgery, my diet plan includes all kinds of things including oatmeal. I have read many opinions on carbs over the years. Low-carb--only eat a few to stay in ketosis. South Beach--avoid high-glycemic foods. Then it was ok, you can have carbs but make sure they aren't refined sugars/processed. Whole grain works best, etc.

So here I am trying to decide what my body can handle carb-wise. And I just don't know what to do. Oatmeal is on my plan. I can't stand the Quaker low sugar version (blech). But I saw that Think Thin had a coupon out for a higher Protein oatmeal. So I gave it a try and I really liked it. But is that okay overall? Or too many carbs? Or are the carbs ok, since it's whole grain and going to be digested/released more slowly?

I just want to know how to go about handling carbs with my new body. I've been off insulin and all diabetic medication since the surgery and I would really REALLY like to stay that way. It runs in my family and I did the surgery specifically to get this all under control.

Here is the info on the oatmeal (I don't eat the whole container. Maybe 3/4?)

Ingredients: Whole grain blend (rolled oats, steel cut oats, red quinoa), isolated soy Protein, dried cane sugar, peanut drops (sugar, palm kernel oil, peanut flour, nonfat dry milk powder, salt, soy lecithin), peanuts, chicory root fiber, honey powder (malformation,honey), peanut flour, sea salt.

Nutrition: Calories 200 Sodium 220 mg Total Fat 5 g Potassium 0 mg Saturated 2 g Total Carbs 31 g Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 5 g Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 9 g Trans 0 g Protein 10 g Cholesterol 0 mg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

I am also finding my balance on carbs as well. Almost 7 months post op here. At 2-3 months I never ever had room for more than a touch of fruit or a little qinoa. But I've found that eating a bit more carbs seems to boost my weight loss. My carbs come from: a slice of 100% whole wheat bread, wasa crisps, pea crisps, Greek yogurt, sweet potato, fruits and vegetables. So it's never higher carb and lower Protein at a given meal. It's more that I have room to add in more of these healthy carbs without reducing my Protein.

Oatmeal is a tricky one. I'd also say only whole oats or steel cut. No instant oats. And if you can add protein to it-cook in milk or add GENEPRO, better. But oatmeal is very filling and will impact your ability to get in any additional protein at that meal. (I think it's more appropriate in the first 6 weeks as you are adjusting to food then it is during the bulk of the weight loss stage.)

All of that said, track. If you are tracking, and your weight loss doesn't slow down with oatmeal twice a week, great. But don't go to daily oatmeal right away. And if it makes you start craving other carbs, think about it it's really a good choice.

I completely agree with @Dub.

Carbs are what got me to 333lbs in the first place, and I sure am not eating them now while I'm in my weight loss phase.

I had my surgery in January and have lost over 160lbs and don't eat any carbs...except for those in the occasional Protein bar.

Once I hit maintenance I'll start adding fruits, but until then, I avoid carbs like the plague.

This has been what has worked for me. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Dub completely agree. I never ate grains when I was in weight loss mode, and still don't when I need to drop a few pounds. For me, grains and weight loss are not a good match. Now when I am in maintenance mode, I will have oat groats or oat bran for breakfast, but that's about it when it comes to grains.

I don't eat super low carb in either weight loss or maintenance mode -- I eat modest amounts of dairy and fruit, for example. But I certainly never needed oatmeal for energy! I exercise just about every day -- vigorous exercise -- and work a full time job and always feel good and energetic, no grains needed. But I do think that if people are bound and determined to eat oatmeal while trying to lose weight, it's better to eat the kind that isn't processed and doesn't have sugar or fake stuff added to it.

Edited by Bufflehead

Thanks to all appreciate insight!

As my surgery date approaches (September 28), I have been thinking about carbs a lot myself. The 89 pounds I have lost so far during my six-month insurance-required diet was done with a low carb, high Protein, high healthy-fat diet. I am going to have a one-on-one with the nutritionist before the surgery to talk to her about how I want to continue to restrict carbs. (I haven't had more than 20 carbs since March 21, and 85% of those days, I have had 12 carbs or less.)

I have been in ketosis for so long that I am worried what would happen if I have the yogurt, sugar-free pudding, cream of wheat, etc. that they have on the list for the various food stages post-op. There are low/no carb options at each stage, and I am probably going to stick to them.

We'll see what she says. Of course, when I had my one required meeting with her during month 2, she was unhappy I was eating eggs every morning instead of egg beaters. But it was the fat in the eggs that jump-started my daily loss, so I told her I wouldn't budge on that. 89 pounds later, I am glad that I stuck to my guns...

I ate steel-cut oats with Fairlife milk, stevia and GENEPRO powder early on, probably until about 6 weeks post-op, then I cut out grains/cereals entirely. I know what those kind of carbs do to me and I don't think they're a great idea while I'm in weight-loss mode.

Lots of great advice from some very successful vets here, thanks for bringing up the topic. I struggle with whether or not to have many carbs in any form, always eat my Protein first but my body really wants vegetables and fruit right now. My garden is producing squash like crazy (my husband's co-workers are starting to hide from me, I'm the Crazy Squash Lady!) and I'm eating it frequently and I wonder if it's part of the reason I'm in this irritating .5 down/.5 up/.5 down loop right now. My dietitian is zero help with this, she mumbles vague things about 'everyone is different, there are different schools of thought about carbs, if you eat carbs eat fiber too'...I need to find someone to really talk to me about calorie intake, resting metabolic rate, protein:carb ratios, offsetting exercise, ketosis, etc. specifically for WLS patients. It's frustrating!