Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I appreciate the links, thank you, and the offer.

It sounds much like the original bypass/sleeve surgeries--the first little bit, you're wondering if you made the right decision, then when things heal up a bit and you're mobile and seeing some benefits, it gets so much better. If I have the procedures, I hope it turns out well for me too. Thanks so much to all of you!

I'm really hoping insurance will approve the surgeries. Not knowing anyone here who has had it done, I don't really know the criteria or if it's even possible. I'm excited, apprehensive and nervous and that's without knowing anything...lol. Once I hear something, I'll post it here--good or bad.

@@JamieLogical I did have muscle repair. he also did Lipo on my back and flanks. I was back at work in 12 days. I have had plenty surgeries and found that the faster i get up the better i am. I had gallbladder surg and was at work in 3 days..... had my lb surg on Tuesday and was back at work on the following Monday.

Two pregnancies so i had to have it done.

@@Googler My suggestion to you is do your research... don't go with just any dr. I wanted a dr that didn't use drains... and that i had 24 access too. Which i did via his personal cell. I could also go to his office anytime with any questions or concerns. I also looked at his other patients before and after. what the scar looked like and i wanted my as low as possible. I also didn't want to come out with a fat cat...or ugly navel...... lol

for me it was worth every penny of the $8800. I took these two weeks ago i think... i was fixing to take a shower and it was steaming up... thats why they look edited...

post-74134-0-44422000-1473366658_thumb.jpg

post-74134-0-42125800-1473366674_thumb.jpg

@@JamieLogical I did have muscle repair. he also did Lipo on my back and flanks. I was back at work in 12 days. I have had plenty surgeries and found that the faster i get up the better i am. I had gallbladder surg and was at work in 3 days..... had my lb surg on Tuesday and was back at work on the following Monday.

Two pregnancies so i had to have it done.

Wow! That is very impressive. I agree that the sooner you can get up and moving post-op, the better.

@@Googler I don't remember at what point I felt comfortable sleeping without compression. It is OK to sleep with though. It doesn't effect circulation the way compression stockings do.

I, too, had muscle repair and was walking within hours.......like Quasimodo, lol!! Pain was really minimal, more just discomfort & tightness.

@TheRealMeIsHere! that's how i was....

I have a couple of consults set up for next month. I'm not at goal yet- 40 lbs away- but definitely want the girls back where they belong as well as the TT. Two of my kids were C sections, the first an emergency C, so my scar goes vertical from belly button down.

Even before weight gain, when my tummy was relatively flat, one side of the scar had a droop to it. I'm hoping that will easily be addressed.

At this point, I'm in research mode, so I know what to expect, costs, etc. One in college now, and two headed over the next two years, requires planning financially. My husband couldn't care less if I do these things, but I know I'd catch flack if I dug too far into savings to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I understand, LisaMergs. If insurance doesn't pick up the tab or most of it, then I can't see me being able to have any reconstruction done. Our vacations are expensive (flights to/from the US, etc.), so those trips are my perks. I'd have to skip visiting with family for a year or two and I just can't do that. My parents are getting older and I don't want to miss seeing them while I can.

@@Googler I looked up Tubigrip, hopefully it provides more support than it looks like it does. I, personally, preferred VERY firm compression. It just felt better on my healing muscles and my surgeon told me that the longer I wear compression, the better. Since this was my one and only shot, I wore compression for 6 months.

The hospital gave me this: http://www.staples.com/Medline-Premium-Tri-Panel-Abdominal-Binders-Small-Medium/product_521329/

Once the drains were out I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007QMK2S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1/

Hi does that body suit have underwire in the bra ?

and this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cupid-Extra-Firm-Control-Bodybriefer-Style-5908/20931991

That was just my preference, You will find what suits you best.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@ausmith That one, is just a waist nipper, no bra.

The Walmart one is a bodysuit and does have a flexible, plastic underwire. Very comfortable, did not dig in at all

Edited by TheRealMeIsHere!

No official word from insurance or the surgeon, but I spoke with someone else from my surgery group. She said she's applied twice for the abdominoplasty to be covered. While she and I started at different sizes and I've lost more (and had more to lose) weight, the criteria would be the same. It's not good news.

Per her review the hanging skin must reach mid-thigh for them to consider it impeding or obstructive to daily life. Rashes and such don't make a difference. :(

If/when denied, I'll appeal with a personal letter, but it's not looking good. Fingers and toes crossed whomever reviews my records/request is in a good mood or something.

Ok, got a letter today from insurance.

They say my BMI is too high for them to consider an abdominoplasty. BMI must be below 30 or 35 w/WLS surgery and must be maintained for 1 year. My BMI is 36.6, so that's not completely out of reach, but I still have to get there, plus remain steady for a year.

I'm disappointed, even though I expected it. I'd kind of hoped it would come out differently.

This is the first denial. I'll talk with the surgeon over the next few weeks (he's currently on vacation) and see if there's anything more to do.

Well at least they cover abdominoplasty at all, so that's good news! And I agree, a BMI of 35 doesn't seem that far out of reach. If you are determined, I think you can get there and stay there for a year. Just think of all of the money you are saving by not having to pay out-of-pocket any time you feel your motivation waning. :P

That's awesome that they cover it!!

As far as the lower BMI, look at it this way. Insurance probably will only pay for it once, and the less you weigh, the better the end result.

As far as maintaining for a year, this is a life change. The weight loss is not temporary as long as you keep following a healthy exercise/eating plan and don't fall into old habits. So maintaining for a year is small potatoes in the big picture.

I know it's disappointing to have to wait, just keep your eye on the prize and the time will be here before you know it and the end result will be fabulous!

Well I am exactly 4 weeks post op from Abdominoplasty and a Brachioplasty. I feel great and plan on returning to work Monday. I could have returned 2 weeks ago. My pain only lasted for about a week. Now, my arms still have a numbness and tingling and that will last for a few months. It's aggravating but not painful or unbearable. I wear under armor long sleeve compression shirts often because it significantly reduces the nerve sensations that I'm feeling.

After about 1 week I was definitely down a pant size. I had a large apron, so it was a very noticeable difference. The surgeon removed 15lbs of skin/fat. After 2 weeks I started taking walks. By the third week I felt like myself, yet still taking it somewhat easy. For instance, I shopped today for about 5 hours. I forgot I had surgery exactly one month ago today.post-260531-14746791593253_thumb.jpg

Edited by cslove

Also, I am a year post op from a VSG. My surgery was 8/31/15. Starting weight 341, current weight 230. My last BMI was 37 or 38. I currently wear a 14/16 from a 28.