Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anybody meet somebody that had Gastric sleeve surgery prior to when you had yours?

That's a fantastic story! And it's so nice to hear so much positivity around this surgery. I just hope I don't have to wait too long to get the surgery - I've decided not to do self-pay as it means not having any support before or after - so going through our healthcare system means possible long waits. I'm going to get all the courses out of the way this weekend - taking me ages - then I can set up an appt. with the clinic. I've been referred and accepted - but that's just a tiny bit of the journey! Thanks again - really helped to hear your experience. And feel free to tell me whatever you think of regarding the surgery, pre-op and post-op, good and bad. You can message me here too. What city are you in? I spent about 8 months in Australia in the 80's! And loved it :-)

I met a lady on a cruise who had it done. Had a long chat with her and she actually helped me to decide. Seeing how good she looked and how positive she was about it all was a great help to me. I actually used the same surgeon as her and couldn't have been happier. Three and a half months out now and exceedingly happy with it all! Good luck, you won't regret it.

That's great you got to speak with somebody - how did the subject come up? Just wondering - not something commonly discussed on a cruise of course! lol

She was sitting at the next table talking to a friend about how great she felt after the surgery. I had been researching for a while and thought this is a great opportunity to get an unbiased opinion. I figured if she didn't want people to know she wouldn't have been talking about it quite as loudly as she was. Maybe she did it for my benefit :) Either way I am glad she did because it gave me the final reason to go and see the doctor, and it is one of the be decisions I ever made, other than marrying my darling husband, am just loving life now!

I live about an hour north of Sydney. I had to wait 12 months for my private health insurance to cover me, and I found that to be great. Gave me lots of time to make sure that this was the right decision for me. I can honestly say that I have not had one single regret. I had some nausea and gas pain in my shoulders for about a week after the surgery but that was really all. The incisions healed really well and caused me no pain at all. The first two weeks after when you are on just liquids (well I was) I thought would be hard, but they really weren't, what people say is true (again for me) you have no appetite or hunger, it's a really strange feeling for someone who has always been completely food focused, especially bad foods, to not be even the slightest bit interested was odd. Even now 3 and a half months post op, food doesn't have the hold over me that it used to.

I love this new me, and am happy to answer any questions you might have. :)

I personally know of 5 people who have been to my surgeon in Mexico. Of those 3 are health care professionals. They all said that it is the cleanest facility they have ever been to period. When I was there I walked the halls barefoot and my feet were perfectly clean.

That's a fantastic story! And it's so nice to hear so much positivity around this surgery. I just hope I don't have to wait too long to get the surgery - I've decided not to do self-pay as it means not having any support before or after - so going through our healthcare system means possible long waits. I'm going to get all the courses out of the way this weekend - taking me ages - then I can set up an appt. with the clinic. I've been referred and accepted - but that's just a tiny bit of the journey! Thanks again - really helped to hear your experience. And feel free to tell me whatever you think of regarding the surgery, pre-op and post-op, good and bad. You can message me here too. What city are you in? I spent about 8 months in Australia in the 80's! And loved it :-)

I met a lady on a cruise who had it done. Had a long chat with her and she actually helped me to decide. Seeing how good she looked and how positive she was about it all was a great help to me. I actually used the same surgeon as her and couldn't have been happier. Three and a half months out now and exceedingly happy with it all! Good luck, you won't regret it.

That's great you got to speak with somebody - how did the subject come up? Just wondering - not something commonly discussed on a cruise of course! lol

She was sitting at the next table talking to a friend about how great she felt after the surgery. I had been researching for a while and thought this is a great opportunity to get an unbiased opinion. I figured if she didn't want people to know she wouldn't have been talking about it quite as loudly as she was. Maybe she did it for my benefit :) Either way I am glad she did because it gave me the final reason to go and see the doctor, and it is one of the be decisions I ever made, other than marrying my darling husband, am just loving life now!

I live about an hour north of Sydney. I had to wait 12 months for my private health insurance to cover me, and I found that to be great. Gave me lots of time to make sure that this was the right decision for me. I can honestly say that I have not had one single regret. I had some nausea and gas pain in my shoulders for about a week after the surgery but that was really all. The incisions healed really well and caused me no pain at all. The first two weeks after when you are on just liquids (well I was) I thought would be hard, but they really weren't, what people say is true (again for me) you have no appetite or hunger, it's a really strange feeling for someone who has always been completely food focused, especially bad foods, to not be even the slightest bit interested was odd. Even now 3 and a half months post op, food doesn't have the hold over me that it used to.

I love this new me, and am happy to answer any questions you might have. :)

I think that's the one fact I can't really understand - the loss of desire for food! And what I've heard as well, the fact you could dislike something you really loved to eat before. Maybe it's one of those things that's not only hard to explain, but something you need to experience to really truly get it. I've also read on here that some people have their appetite return at 6 months post-op. Everyone is different of course. I have a recurring thought about food right now - food is often what brings families together - special occasions, kids move out and come home for dinner (and you cook them their favourite meal!), dinner out with spouse to a favourite restaurant, etc. My husband and I have been raising kids for 25+ years now and our youngest just turned 11. The one thing that's always been a common thread with my husband and I is our love for really, really good restaurants, and it's been the only thing we really do together as a couple. I keep thinking that I'll lose that connection between us. Does that sound silly? lol Honestly, I'm trying to think of every eventuality while making this decision to have my stomach (radically) removed! What am I going to lose that I wish I hadn't? Will I feel completely deprived when I can't go out and look 'normal' around the dinner table, or a neighbour's Christmas party? When I can't have a glass of wine, etc.? Do you have any wisdom to share on these points? I keep thinking I have 'one more question to deal with' and then I'm going to be ok with the surgery decision. But then I think of something else! Thanks so much - you've been a great help and inspiration :-)

My husband had the RNY 8 years prior to my surgery, and he has basically been the poster child for the surgery. He's kept most of his weight off besides the normal 5-10% "bounce" people gain a few years out. He's still 110 pounds lighter. He's the one that suggested WLS to me when I was at my wits end about my weight and failing health because of it. His sister was also one of the first people to get the VSG when they first started doing them as a treatment for weight loss back in 2010. She has kept most of her weight off, also.

Will I feel completely deprived when I can't go out and look 'normal' around the dinner table, or a neighbour's Christmas party? When I can't have a glass of wine, etc.? Do you have any wisdom to share on these points? I keep thinking I have 'one more question to deal with' and then I'm going to be ok with the surgery decision.

You're only going to feel this way for a very temporary time early out. In the grand scheme of things, literally a blip on the radar of your life. I'm 2 years out, went to dinner last night with friends and had a glass of wine before dinner, ate my portion of halibut with veggies and asked for a doggie bag for the rest (about half) and felt completely normal. Nobody would even know I've had WLS. I just seem like a "light" eater now. It's just my husband and I, too, and we eat out all the time. As long as you're making smart choices, no worries! And early out you have leftovers for lunch AND dinner the next day!

Maybe you make it a challenge to find healthy amazing restaurants and only eat a little of it. Or maybe split a dish with your hubby. OOOO you could make it a challenge to COOK amazing healthy foods together. I think you guys will be fine, you just have to tweak your lifestyles a bit.

I say things like I'm an "expert" but I'm not. I'm new. I don't even have an operation date yet - just started the process AND I'm in my first actual real serious relationship ever (sad at my age). I'm just throwing ideas out. If your husband is anywhere near as supportive as my boyfriend, you're going to be fine.

Oh, and one more point I want to make. It becomes so much less about the food and more about the actual experience of the Christmas Party, movie, dinner with friends, etc. Food is no longer the center of my universe, and I feel so free!

My husband had the RNY 8 years prior to my surgery, and he has basically been the poster child for the surgery. He's kept most of his weight off besides the normal 5-10% "bounce" people gain a few years out. He's still 110 pounds lighter. He's the one that suggested WLS to me when I was at my wits end about my weight and failing health because of it. His sister was also one of the first people to get the VSG when they first started doing them as a treatment for weight loss back in 2010. She has kept most of her weight off, also.

Will I feel completely deprived when I can't go out and look 'normal' around the dinner table, or a neighbour's Christmas party? When I can't have a glass of wine, etc.? Do you have any wisdom to share on these points? I keep thinking I have 'one more question to deal with' and then I'm going to be ok with the surgery decision.

You're only going to feel this way for a very temporary time early out. In the grand scheme of things, literally a blip on the radar of your life. I'm 2 years out, went to dinner last night with friends and had a glass of wine before dinner, ate my portion of halibut with veggies and asked for a doggie bag for the rest (about half) and felt completely normal. Nobody would even know I've had WLS. I just seem like a "light" eater now. It's just my husband and I, too, and we eat out all the time. As long as you're making smart choices, no worries! And early out you have leftovers for lunch AND dinner the next day!

Thank you - as always the wisdom from all of you is the best!

a coworker had this surgery a year before me and I suppose seeing her experience on a daily basis probably did make me feel more comfortable.

my uncle had the surgery a year and a half before mine, maybe 2 years? and he did very well with his.

Maybe you make it a challenge to find healthy amazing restaurants and only eat a little of it. Or maybe split a dish with your hubby. OOOO you could make it a challenge to COOK amazing healthy foods together. I think you guys will be fine, you just have to tweak your lifestyles a bit.

I say things like I'm an "expert" but I'm not. I'm new. I don't even have an operation date yet - just started the process AND I'm in my first actual real serious relationship ever (sad at my age). I'm just throwing ideas out. If your husband is anywhere near as supportive as my boyfriend, you're going to be fine.

thank you kloneil818 - he's supportive, yes. He'll love it - he'll get to eat his meal and a lot of mine too! (he's never had a weight issue in his life so he'll enjoy these extra benefits). lol

I personally know about 4 people that have had gastric bypass or the sleeve and talking with them really helped me out. There are a few groups on Facebook that I belong to as well that have really been helpful to me since I'm getting closer to actually having a surgery date.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

I did although she went through the RNY revision which was part of why I went with the RNY to start

Sent from my SM-N930T using the BariatricPal App

I did started attend a Support group of ppl who had the surgery

Sent from my SM-N930P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by change@40

Yes. I met someone on a fb roll call bariatric support group. We used same surgeon. She was sleeved in March. Mine was end of July. I was going for lap band but very confused. We me in person at support group meeting then had dinners.cwe have traded clothes and can't wait until we can continue our dinners and support. I really was blessed to meet Lisa.

Denise~Macon, GA