Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been going to my Curves for over three years and love it. :rolleyes: I have been to many different Curves locations and they vary a great deal. The one I go to has 12 machines and a stretching station. It is a very large club and many of the members have been there for years. I am not banded yet so I don't know how well it will work afterwards but for me at this point in my life it is a great workout. The weights are not fixed, they are hydralic so you are working at your own capacity, the harder you push the more resistence you get. I can see where it might be a problem for very tall women but I feel like it has kept me from weighing 400 pounds instead of 300. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

When my sons friend who is involved in physical education was allowed to look into Curves (his wife was joining), he was not impressed. However he did say "it's better than eating chocolate cake".

Personally, I go there and like it very much!

I joined LA FITNESS, right now they have a two weeks special and it is free. I love it.. in fact so much that I can go by myself..(I started out going with my daughters)..after I work out..I really enjoy myself in the hot tub and sauna. It is between $35.00 & $38.00 a month.

I think its a wonderful non judgemental environment in which to begin a weight loss journey and fitness program.

Within a year you will probably have to move on to somethign more challenging to keep ensuring progress and good results, so I wouldnt go signing any 2 year contracts. But for starting out for a sedentary person, its awesome.

And circuit training appears to have gone out of fashion somewhat, but when done with intensity its a VERY fast way to shape your body, get aerobically fit and develop some muscle.

I was just running for about a year, (running a LOT) but when I added circuits to my routine, I really toned up very noticeably and it accelerated my weight loss again. Its very much interval type intensity with circuits, doing 50 squats with a heavy barbell gets my heart rate over 170 and I'm very fit!

But Curves, yes, an awesome place to start. A very gentle introduction that will do you a lot of good in the early stages of becoming fit.

I loved Curves, but moved and there's not one inside my living room so I don't go anymore.

Get a 2 week free pass and try it out.

Since this thread is a bit older, I'm not sure if anyone will see this to answer it, but where can I get a free two week pass to try it out?

They have an on-line site where you can sign up for someone to contact you in your area. If you don't see it there. Just go into your local curves and ask for a free trial.

I just joined Curves 2 days ago and so far love it- It is a bit hard on some of the machines being wider and taller than most- But I agree that the support is totally there- and non judgemental as well- actually in my curves no one else has had any weight loss surgery so they are sort of using me as a guinea pig to see how well it works... talk about pressure...

I am sore just afte 2 work outs- If you are newly banded they offer a discount for lap bands but you have to mention it- I paid 99.00 for reg fee and first month was free- then it is 34/month for 1 year- Normally it is 200 reg and 45 a month I figured it was like 1.05 a day and better than doing nothing- or walking alone- It is close to my house and only 30 minutes 3 times a week- once i get my stamina up I am goign to try more often... I can see how others say it got boring but mine is good about changing the music and they now have something new that puts resistance on the machines specifically for your fittness level it is cool how it works- all curves give youa pass to try before you buy so to speak but you generally have to ask..

good luck- let me know how you do.

I love Curves. I have been a member for awhile and whenever I work out regularly I feel better and have more energy. The work out can be made harder or easier. I think it will continue to suit my needs but I might add running or some extra stuff as I progress.

They have also started a new thing in my curves where your info is entered into the computer a baseline is set and you use your tag at each station. Your progress is tracked and at the end of the workout you go to the computer and it tells you which machines you need to do better on and how many calories you are burning. If you consistently hit green they progress your routine making it harder.

I joined Curves in Nov and I am not very impressed. The staff tends to like to gossip and not pay attention to how members are using the machines. The circut in my opinion gets boring really fast and there is no challenge because it does not change. I am looking into a larger gym with a trainer so I can optimize my workout and get in better shape. Curves is great for beginers but in my opinion if your die hard about getting in shape you will get bored. The hours at Curves in my area are awfull they are set for people who dont work, they are open 8a-11am on Sat and closed sun, m-thur they close at 7p and Fri they close at 6:30 if you work til 5 you have to rush to get there change and work out...The hours stink!

ANd for goodness sake they close on holidays! when most working people get the day off GEEEZZ..

Just not impressed its more of a social, clicky gossip club who pushes there products..

Sorry for saying how I feel!

I LOVE my Curves!

Everyone is super nice and the staff is super attentive.

Although the last post does state how boring it can get, and I can see what they mean - In my opinion, it is just up to you - to push yourself harder.

Instead of walking in between machines, RUN for those 30 seconds, it really does make a difference.

Good Luck!

Congratulations. I'm closing in on 600 workouts and think it is the greatest workout ever.

Wow! Those are alot of workouts!

I got measured last week and lost 12.5 inches!!

Congrats on the 12 1/2 inches. That is awesome. Is that in one month? I've lost 66 lbs and 55 inches since I joined 5 years ago. ( I had gained some weight between joining Curves and my surgery) For me Curves is a lifelong journey. I can see myself pumping the machines at 80.

Good luck and keep pumping!