Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op in the hospital

Did you have iv pain meds? How many days were you admitted? Did you have to do any swallow testing before you went home? Best Protein options for someone who HATES Protein drinks(besides isopure)? Tips on things to bring to the hospital? Did they send you home with liquid pain meds or pills and how long did you take them? Can I bring pajamas to the hospital and wear those instead of those nasty hospital gowns (post op I mean, I know you have to wear them during surgery)? Any other helpful tips? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Also, did anybody have to have a catheter placed? I hate them and would have to be on my death bed before I'd have one!

Tip: Walk every two hours. It will help with passing gas and make your recovery quicker.

Tip: Make sure they have a trapeze bar installed on your hospital bed. It will help you get up with less pain when you walk every two hours.

I took no pain medicine after I left the recovery room. I didn't need any. I may be the exception. I don't think pain medicine does much anyways, what you really need is a muscle relaxer.

Tip: Your tastebuds may change after surgery so be prepared to experiment.

I took my pain med ( liquid) for two days after I came home. I stayed for two days, walked a lot, never did a swallow test unless they did it when I was in recovery. I don't remember anything from when I was put to sleep till I woke up in my room.

No swallow test.

No catheter.

I didn't have any pain at all except for sore abs, which made it a bit challenging to get out of bed and walk (as long as I was just lying there, I had no pain at all). I didn't want to use my morphine pump, but the nurses made me because I had to get up and walk so much.

I was sent home with a liquid pain medicine, but it sat unopened. I didn't need it.

every program is very different. i had iv pain meds, was in the hospital for 3 days, and only had Water trials and i needed to urinate a certain amount. i had a catheter for the rest of the day after i got out of surgery and the next day it was removed. it wasnt that bad, when removed it just felt like pressure. i wasnt allowed to put any of my clothes on besides changing undies until the day i was discharged. i totally overpacked and was so groggy i didnt even care to use anything i brought. undies, chapstick, and gas-x was my main staples. they sent me home with pill form pain meds but they were so tiny i could easily swallow them with a tiny sip of Water. i only needed them for one day of being home and then extra strength tylenol seemed to help much better actually. like i said, every program is way different! you will do great though, i wish you all the luck!

Worst part post op is dry mouth. They let me suck on a wet cotton swab yuck!

Walk walk walk!!! Get up as soon as possible and round the halls. Had pain meds- if you need them, use them! I stopped 2 days post op and then maybe took them once on day 4. I was walking around the block by day 5. And haven't stopped.

I did not have a catheter but it's not that bad if you do- have been cath'd many times no big deal.

Never stop sipping liquids, either. They will have tiny medicine cups you can use. I think they measure about an ounce each. Bring some home for the first few days. We are all different, but for me, warm liquids the first week or two felt the best for me- warm tea especially.

Good luck!

I'll try to remember your questions:

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powders taste like milkshakes to me. Unjury.com

Catheter is usually placed once you're under anesthesia; mine was removed before I left the OR when I was still under anesthesia, so no pain.

I was on pills for pain meds within 12 hours post op (oxycodone), but there was something else I vaguely remember them using in my IV (narcotic). Oh but I also remember them giving me this super Tylenol in my IV that worked really really well, and Tylenol usually does nothing for me.

My surgeon does a leak test in the OR with dyes and Water and something else. They fix leaks before they close us up, hence no SWALLOW/leak test the next day (thank god).

My surgery was 9:30am on a Thursday and I went home 3:30pm on Friday. I had RNY.

Wear the gown, so much easier with the IVs, and in case you bleed.

Bring clean underwear, feminine supplies if you're a woman (stress from surgery and blood thinners can bring on your period suddenly), deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, lip balm, gas x strips, phone and phone charger.

Good luck! When's the big day?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I woke up with a catheter. It was much easier than getting up to go. Morphine pain button. First day. Walked that night. Then every two hours next day. I felt terrible first 24 hours then much better. Didn't use pain meds at home. Abs felt a little sore. I brought a lot of stuff. I only used my phone and charger. Chapstick. Toothbrush. Hairbrush to look good walking in the halls wearing the gown. And I brought biotine. It's for dry mouth. I did do a leak test. It was awful. I told them I couldn't drink the stuff or I'll throw up. But alas I did not. It was fine. Best of luck

I woke up with a catheter. It was much easier than getting up to go. Morphine pain button. First day. Walked that night. Then every two hours next day. I felt terrible first 24 hours then much better. Didn't use pain meds at home. Abs felt a little sore. I brought a lot of stuff. I only used my phone and charger. Chapstick. Toothbrush. Hairbrush to look good walking in the halls wearing the gown. And I brought biotine. It's for dry mouth. I did do a leak test. It was awful. I told them I couldn't drink the stuff or I'll throw up. But alas I did not. It was fine. Best of luck

Sounds a lot like my first night lol I'm 3 weeks post op and doing well. I'm down 25 lbs.

Dawnie_doo

I am a recovering addict and asked to have the bare minimum of pain medication. So, after surgery I had one medium level med, the next day only Tylenol.

Frankly, it was the caffeine withdrawal that gave me the headaches, the surgery was not a problem.

When I awoke, my diabetes was gone.

I had a catheter, and I was grateful for it.

Wear the Gown! They are fluffy clean and there is and endless supply of them. You will fit right in with everyone else strolling about the halls.

Isopure and Unjury are tops for Protein.< /p>

I'm 6 days post op and I was given 30 oxycodones and have only used 3 and those used in the first days. I had a slight cold and the coughing caused much abdominal pain so that's the only reason I took something. However, I have a high threshold for pain and didn't use pain meds after my c-section either. I was given Toradol and Tylenol in the hospital and that kept me too sedated. I'm slowly tolerating Unjury now but most Protein just doesn't agree with me now. My doctor is cool with this for these first weeks as long as I'm getting my fluids. I took a gown to the hospital but didn't use because they were doing too many checks and the drain was a mess. LOL Honestly, I only used my phone charger and toothbrush and toothpaste while there. I only stayed overnight and discharged late afternoon so keep that in mind.

Tip: Walk every two hours. It will help with passing gas and make your recovery quicker.

Tip: Make sure they have a trapeze bar installed on your hospital bed. It will help you get up with less pain when you walk every two hours.

I took no pain medicine after I left the recovery room. I didn't need any. I may be the exception. I don't think pain medicine does much anyways, what you really need is a muscle relaxer.

Tip: Your tastebuds may change after surgery so be prepared to experiment.

i appreciate the tip about the muscle relaxer! I'm no good with pain meds because they make me sick but the last time i had surgery (other than my tonsils) i only took pan meds for like 36 hours! i hate the stuff!