Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with stall

I had VSG on 8/12. I had my Postop appointment on 8/22 and had lost 15lbs. Yeah!

Since that point, I have not lost a pound. I have started eating soft foods, so not sure if starting to eat real food is the cause. I also started working out so my nutritionist said I need to increase calories and Fluid intake. I was around 500-600 calories/day and have tried to increase to 600-800 calories/day. I am consistently meeting my Protein goals daily.

Has anyone else experienced this? Trying not to get frustrated but seems early for a stall.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had my surgery on 8/15, and the first week dropped 10lbs. I haven't lost anything since, and in fact, I gained 2lbs somehow, which I still can't figure out how that happened because I've had nothing "off" the full liquids plan. I haven't been cleared for anything but walking, though. I'm trying not to get frustrated too, but it's hard not to!

Good luck! Just wanted you to know you're not alone!!

This is pretty common. The first stall is a little scary but just hang in there and follow your program and it will end eventually. You will probably experience many stalls on this journey.

I also had the dreaded 3 week post op stall. But now I am 3.5 months since the operation and am down over 45 lbs.

A "stall" a few weeks after surgery is not uncommon, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs. of Water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when a patient is not getting in enough food, the body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. Then when 2 lbs. of glycogen is used a patient will also lose 8 lbs. of Water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs. that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

However, when the body stays in a caloric deficit state the body starts to realize that this is not a short-term problem. Then the body starts mobilizing fat from adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But the body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. As it puts back the 2 lbs. of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs. of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though the patient might still be losing energy content to their body, the weight will not go down or it might even gain for a while as the retention of water dissolves the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

I was sleeved on 8/11 and stalled after a week, only down 8 lbs in 14 days. I was hoping that I wouldn't stall for a few weeks. Everything I read here says hang in, don't weigh often, stay the course with protein/fluid, get moving. My body is supposedly hard at work even if the scale is a bust.

I stalled for 9 days one week after surgery and have now lost a pound a day for the past 4 days. Hang in there. It'll happen. Your body is adjusting to your new normal.

You know... My scale needs batteries and i am SERIOUSLY thinking of not putting them in for a couple of months. Maybe i will just measure and live without a scale for a while. I know me, and i know my head. As long as my pants keep feeling looser im good, but if i see my stall in numbers on a scale, i will become obsessed.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App