Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 Days Post-Op RNY.....Recovery Easier Than I Thought

First, I want to say a heartfelt thank you to all of you who so kindly answered my many questions and concerns before my RNY on August 18th. And a special helping of good karma to those who helped talk me off the ledge as I drove myself bat-**** crazy while making the decision between RNY or the sleeve.

For those of you who are considering RNY, and are worried about the recovery, I can only speak for my experience but.....the recovery was so much easier than what I had been imagining. Now, surgery day and the first full day of post-op were no party, not a lot of fun. But nothing unbearable, nothing that I couldn't get through with good nurses and pain meds. I got to my room at 2:00 pm, and by 4:30 I was walking laps (slowly, slowly) around the nurses station. First full day post op I mainly felt like I was achey everywhere and coming down with the flu....not the case at all, but for the next few days I got that "flu" feeling every night around 7pm until I went to sleep; I think that's how my body reacts to being pushed to its healing limits. Never had a fever, never threw up.

Discharged after one night, which felt a little fast, but I was walking, using the bathroom, had pain under control. Truth is I slept better once I got home, by far.

Only regret so far? I wish that over the past several years as I considered weight loss surgery, I wish I had not focused so much on the horror stories floating around the Internet on WLSurgeries-gone-wrong. I wish I had attended a surgery seminar much, much sooner. I wish I had fully considered the real statistics more than the oh-no-what-ifs. But, I guess I got here as soon as I could.

I know this is my positive experience, and that some people experience bumps right away. I also recognize I will likely have bumps as I move through the years. But still, already.....I feel great about my decision. In the end, all you can do is choose the best surgical team you can possibly find, listen to every instruction they give you, and do your best (and only you know what your best is) to comply with all their directives, no excuses.

I am so glad to finally be here.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by gina171

welcome to the other side! Yes - my recovery was ridiculously easy, too - I was really surprised!

Awesome!! Speedy recovery hunn!

I Love being an RRT!

Saving Lives One Breath At A Time.

Edited by boogie_badd8nt_she

Congratulations Gina! I am so happy for you and especially happy that things are going well for you.

My experience was almost exactly as you described and it only got better from there as the weight started to come off.

I am glad you are home and recovering. Let me know if there are any questions I can help with.

:)

Congratulations and let us know if we can be of any help. :) ;) :P :D :lol: B) :rolleyes: B) ;-)

So happy to hear this! :) You got there when you were ready and not a minute sooner or later. In general, it only gets better from here.

Wow, SO MANY of my favorite BariatricPal RNYers replied....you guys are the BEST. Can't wait for all the year will bring, and I look forward to learning more from you all.

First, I want to say a heartfelt thank you to all of you who so kindly answered my many questions and concerns before my RNY on August 18th. And a special helping of good karma to those who helped talk me off the ledge as I drove myself bat-**** crazy while making the decision between RNY or the sleeve.

For those of you who are considering RNY, and are worried about the recovery, I can only speak for my experience but.....the recovery was so much easier than what I had been imagining. Now, surgery day and the first full day of post-op were no party, not a lot of fun. But nothing unbearable, nothing that I couldn't get through with good nurses and pain meds. I got to my room at 2:00 pm, and by 4:30 I was walking laps (slowly, slowly) around the nurses station. First full day post op I mainly felt like I was achey everywhere and coming down with the flu....not the case at all, but for the next few days I got that "flu" feeling every night around 7pm until I went to sleep; I think that's how my body reacts to being pushed to its healing limits. Never had a fever, never threw up.

Discharged after one night, which felt a little fast, but I was walking, using the bathroom, had pain under control. Truth is I slept better once I got home, by far.

Only regret so far? I wish that over the past several years as I considered weight loss surgery, I wish I had not focused so much on the horror stories floating around the Internet on WLSurgeries-gone-wrong. I wish I had attended a surgery seminar much, much sooner. I wish I had fully considered the real statistics more than the oh-no-what-ifs. But, I guess I got here as soon as I could.

I know this is my positive experience, and that some people experience bumps right away. I also recognize I will likely have bumps as I move through the years. But still, already.....I feel great about my decision. In the end, all you can do is choose the best surgical team you can possibly find, listen to every instruction they give you, and do your best (and only you know what your best is) to comply with all their directives, no excuses.

I am so glad to finally be here.

Than you for being honest..

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App