Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question from a Non-cook

Thanks! Great ideas! But....puréed steak and potatoes?? ....yuck! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Just the word pureed makes me nauseous...surgery 5/4/16...average amount of food I can handle is 1/2 cup in one sitting...so you are going to be on your own for awhile as far as meals....think protein! Stay away from eating out..the fat and grease will literally make you physically ill. Whats the point of surgery if you don't change your eating habits? Your partner should be changing with you..happily! I'm down 80

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Even though you may want things that your husband has and not sure what you will do about meals, that process. For a while you will need to be a bit selfish. You need to find food that work with your new sleeve. I've found the simplest things will not work with you. I really enjoy Peanut Butter but can do it anymore. Before any of us can worry about someone else ear we have to take care of ourself and relearn food all over again. You'll figure it all out in due time. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

My husband is also a meat and potatoes guy though he will eat fish. And my husband can cook which is great. As you ease into regular foods ask him to cook meat or poultry in ways that keep it soft (like in liquids). Then you can eat a small amount. The extra that you don't eat, freeze for a future meal for when he makes something you can't eat. I try to stay away from eating out or takeout too often because restaurants use a lot of salt and fats which are not good calorie or health wise. Maybe try to learn how to cook a few simple recipes for when your husband makes something you can't eat. I often make something simple like scrambled eggs with cheese or baked tofu in BBQ Sauce when I am on my own. And I cook my own vegetables as my husband doesn't like or cook them. Cook the veg on Sunday and eat them all week because I eat so little.

Have you discussed your concerns with your husband? It may be less of an issue for him than you think. Since he is more of the cook in the house, would he be willing to modify the meals to help you? For example, if he is meat and potatoes, can he make a vegetable with it? If he won't eat chicken or fish, maybe you can prepare those things ahead of time and have them ready for dinner when he makes the other foods. Going into this surgery with a continued plan of eating out is not good. You will probably still lose weight the first year, but when it comes to reaching goal or maintaining, it won't work. You have to be committed to you and your new healthy lifestyle.

Sent from my LG-H631 using BariatricPal mobile app

My husband eats anything he wants and is slim too. I have always cooked though. I have 2 littles and my husband and I am 2 days post op. So far I haven't had a problem cookimg for them, but once I am able to eat again I plan to cook what I need and add more for them to ballance out the meal. Following to see what others have to say too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

My husband and I are the same. We have a lot of take out and don't cook much since mostly it is just the two of us at home. My plan is to prepare my foods and freeze leftovers so that I don't have to eat the same thing for every meal. His plan is to continue eating take out and I am fine with that. I don't expect him to change his eating because I have to change mine. I am sure there will be things I want and it won't be a totally smooth transition, but I will get through it. I also have surgery in September, so this is all just a plan.

I'm exactly the same. My husband doesn't cook either. He finds what he likes and microwaves a lot. At first after my surgery, I did fix eggs for me. I would hard boil a dozen and eat them through the week. I would but soft cheese and yogurt. If he wanted to eat that, he would. Now 2 years out, we go out to eat as we used to do and I find something to eat and he does as well. In a perfect world, he would eat healthy like me, but that ain't gonna happen. We both hate to cook and it's ok. Take out works well too. Just not everyday. You will be fine.