Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ten months out.......tried some Diet Pepsi.......

For the decade leading up to my VSG you'd likely find a Diet Dew or Diet Coke close at hand.

I drank them in ridiculous excess.

I'd given up the real versions and thought I was doing a good thing by drinking the diet versions.

I drank them right up until my wls last October.

Since then I've not tried them. I simply haven't missed them and have had no desire to fool with them even though my surgeon told me that I could give 'em a whirl if I could tolerate them (during my 6 month post-op appointment).

So.....fast forward to yesterday. I'm at work and attending a two hour meeting where lunch is served.

It is customary for the lunches to have both sweat and unsweetened tea. I use some Splenda and unsweetened tea and I'm good to go.

The meals are always catered from local restaurants and have a variety of stuff that makes it easy for a low-carb eater to select from.

Yesterday it was Pappa John's pizza and 2 liter bottles of Pepsi and Diet Pepsi.

I'd cut it close so not time to go find other options.

I at the toppings off two slices of pizza. Done.

Thirsty from all the salt.

Went ahead and poured a glass of Diet Pepsi.

Started drinking a few minutes later.

No issues...kept on and finished the glass.

My turn to speak and present some info to the group came.

So did the after effects of the carbonation.

Stifling burps and having the "floating away" feeling during my mini-presentation was lots and lots of fun.

As far as I'm concerned, it'll be another 10 months until I touch the sodas again.

One of the basics that was drilled into my head during my pre-op classes was to always have a bottle of Water close at hand. Wish I'd that bottle with me yesterday...........

I was given the ok to try carbonated beverages last week. I'm in no hurry to try it, especially after reading your experience at 10 months out! Thank you [emoji3][emoji106]

Thanks for sharing that story. I gave up my 3-a-day Diet Coke habit pre-surgery, tried one a few weeks and then a few months after I quit and found I didn't enjoy them anymore anyway, so the lesson I'll take away is "always have Water handy" especially when outside of my own controlled environment. Thx!

Oh thank gawd you didn;t get hooked again.

I have been drinking Water, coffee and Vitamin Water zero. only two of the latter per day. but my B Vitamins are high so I have to give up the Vitamin water....... boo ! I am going to have to figure out making my own lemonaid with stevia or something. Good warning not to try the diet soda!

I have been drinking Water, coffee and Vitamin Water zero. only two of the latter per day. but my B Vitamins are high so I have to give up the Vitamin water....... boo ! I am going to have to figure out making my own lemonaid with stevia or something. Good warning not to try the diet soda!

Crystal light

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

...It is customary for the lunches to have both sweat and unsweetened tea. I use some Splenda and unsweetened tea and I'm good to go....

Given those 2 options, I would always choose the unsweetened tea over the "sweat" to drink. :)

I was so hoping you would have said you drank it through a straw. That always makes for some fun replies.

For the decade leading up to my VSG you'd likely find a Diet Dew or Diet Coke close at hand.

I'd given up the real versions and thought I was doing a good thing by drinking the diet versions.

Since then I've not tried them. I simply haven't missed them and have had no desire to fool with them even though my surgeon told me that I could give 'em a whirl if I could tolerate them (during my 6 month post-op appointment).

So.....fast forward to yesterday. I'm at work and attending a two hour meeting where lunch is served.

It is customary for the lunches to have both sweat and unsweetened tea. I use some Splenda and unsweetened tea and I'm good to go.

The meals are always catered from local restaurants and have a variety of stuff that makes it easy for a low-carb eater to select from.

Yesterday it was Pappa John's pizza and 2 liter bottles of Pepsi and Diet Pepsi.

Stifling burps and having the "floating away" feeling during my mini-presentation was lots and lots of fun.

As far as I'm concerned, it'll be another 10 months until I touch the sodas again.

One of the basics that was drilled into my head during my pre-op classes was to always have a bottle of Water close at hand. Wish I'd that bottle with me yesterday...........

Curious about the "floating away" feeling, lol. I haven't heard that term before

I tried soda after my surgery (a doctor ordered me too on 2 separate occasions) I could only take 2 sips before I felt.weird and bloated. I'm glad I felt that way because there have been times that all I want is a big ole coke.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon told me I should never drink soda it can expand your stomach.

I've been drinking carbonated beverages since about a month post-op. My doctor has no restrictions on carbonation. However, he is extremely anti-soda. Both regular and diet. I was never much of a soda drinker, so I stick to Perrier, San Peligrino, Club Soda, etc. never had an issue with the carbonation. Sometimes it seems to foam up in my stomach a bit so I usually open and let it sit for 5-10 min which usually takes the edge off. But never had any after effects from drinking it.

Had you had any carbonated drinks prior to this?

@@Dub

Oh you poor thing! It is bad enough to have burps after a meal in company, let alone getting them while giving a presentation .....

My Water bottle is practically glued to my hand, it goes with me everywhere.

Good wake up call, and I am glad the cravings for more sodas did not come back for you!

It was a funny experience.

No harm came from it.

It just reinforced the fact that I should keep my Water bottle around at all times on the job.

It'd been a while since I had pizza and the saltiness of the toppings was a cottonmouth experience for sure.

Thirsty dude after.

Curious about the "floating away" feeling, lol. I haven't heard that term before

Burping while talking.....after not burping much at all for almost a year......interdasting....very interdasting. I can only imagine that I was giving those present the same WTF? look as they were giving me, lol.

The "floating away" feel was sorta what it felt like with my insides.....like they were floating up higher in my chest. I know they weren't at all....just felt weird.

There wasn't any pain or other issues......just this inordinate amount of burping that was occurring. It was not unlike the clown cars at the circus.....where 69 clowns come falling out of the car.

All is well........at least I didn't hurl in public.

All is well........at least I didn't hurl in public.

I have found not hurling in public to be a worthy goal in any situation.

Yup.

It ranks up there just ahead of not getting inappropriate boners in public.

That's a whole 'nutter story doe.