Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous to go under the knife AGAIN

Hi all. I was banded in November of 2012. Before that surgery, I had to have my gallbladder removed, which was July of 2012. I lost about 60 lbs before I became pregnant in October of 2013. I only gained 40 lbs during pregnancy. I had my band unfilled in June of 2014, when I was 8 months pregnant because it was uncomfortable to eat anything! I had it filled again in September of 2015, and have lost 30 lbs since but have hit a plateau for almost a year now.

I am in the process of changing insurance that will cover the entirety of the band to sleeve procedure. I have a consult with my doctor sep 28th.

Now that I have a son, I am beyond terrified to go under and do an other surgery. I'm afraid of not waking up. Is this normal? I've only ever had these two surgeries. I'm 27, so done with hating life as a fat mom and not looking into Mirrors when I walk past them or wearing a bathing suite. I want to be healthy for my son but the band just isn't working for me anymore. The sleeve is my next option.

Any Advice or kind words are definitely appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I understand your fear. I also had a band. I had to have it removed due to erosion. The band did work for me. I'm being sleeved on Thursday and I'm anxious as well. I think your thoughts are normal and natural. Focus on the positive results you'll have and you'll do great! Good luck!!! :)

Thank you! And good luck on Thursday!

@@smellslikecoffee There are always risks to surgery - but the chance of dying during the surgery is extremely low. The majority of complications (which is minimal as well) happen post-op. You can reduce these chances by following your guidelines exactly. Talk to your surgeon about mortality rates and complication rates. I can assure you that they are minuscule compared to the rate of mortality or complications from obesity related disease.

Good luck on your journey!

Thank you! This is something I definitely will be talking with him about. I think I'm also especially nervous because I have decided to tell nobody except my husband. I can't imagine not telling my parents and then them finding out something happened to me!

I'm generally an over thinker thank you again!

Edited by smellslikecoffee

I could have written this. My surgery is on Thursday and the only fear I have is a serious complication during surgery that causes me not to wake up. I am not afraid of post op complications because I know most of those are up to me and my compliance. Once I am awoke, I know I made it. I have young kids that I need to be there for. This will be my first surgery.

Good Luck!

Hi all. I was banded in November of 2012. Before that surgery, I had to have my gallbladder removed, which was July of 2012. I lost about 60 lbs before I became pregnant in October of 2013. I only gained 40 lbs during pregnancy. I had my band unfilled in June of 2014, when I was 8 months pregnant because it was uncomfortable to eat anything! I had it filled again in September of 2015, and have lost 30 lbs since but have hit a plateau for almost a year now.

I am in the process of changing insurance that will cover the entirety of the band to sleeve procedure. I have a consult with my doctor sep 28th.

Now that I have a son, I am beyond terrified to go under and do an other surgery. I'm afraid of not waking up. Is this normal? I've only ever had these two surgeries. I'm 27, so done with hating life as a fat mom and not looking into Mirrors when I walk past them or wearing a bathing suite. I want to be healthy for my son but the band just isn't working for me anymore. The sleeve is my next option.

What you're feeling is perfectly normal. I'm feeling it too. I was banded in 2009, was successful, but this year I went in for a fill and they suggested for me to have a revision to sleeve instead. I think that's the new way doctors are handling band patients these days, regardless whether they are having problems or stalls. They unfilled it and of course, I gained about 20 lbs. while waiting for my revision surgery. I had Dr. Martinez for my band but have since moved, and am going to have my revision on Sept. 2, 2016 with another doctor. I wish it was with Dr. Martinez as I always had faith in his capabilities and judgment... I guess it's just a long way of saying "I'm scared too." *big hugs* You will do just fine, and so will I, let's just keep reminding each other hehe.

I'll be getting the sleeve with a new doctor as well. My last doctor was Greta but I HATED his office staff. I trust this new doctor, just nervous as heck! Good luck with yours too!

I can relate! I have had gallbladder out, band in, band out and then my sleeve recently. I have kids and I was SO scared. I thought I would die or get a leak, and I felt like a terrible mother. I thought I would lose my job and my life would be ruined. Omg, I was just so so so so scared. However, I am SO happy now and it has been a great journey thus far. Good luck with it all

Thank you! This is something I definitely will be talking with him about. I think I'm also especially nervous because I have decided to tell nobody except my husband. I can't imagine not telling my parents and then them finding out something happened to me!

I'm generally an over thinker thank you again!

im the same way.. lol i have my surgery in November & my fear is not waking up also.. ????

So many of us feel the same way. I was banded in 2006 and was scheduled for a revision to the sleeve in May 2016. I woke up bandless and sleeveless due to adhesions. I have a new surgeon who will be doing my sleeve on Oct 2016. I'm so very scared but more scared not to... It's normal...ask as many questions about HIS mortality rate, research online what you can about him and most importantly compliance is key... I told myself the same things I'm saying to you :)

All the best!

So many of us feel the same way. I was banded in 2006 and was scheduled for a revision to the sleeve in May 2016. I woke up bandless and sleeveless due to adhesions. I have a new surgeon who will be doing my sleeve on Oct 2016. I'm so very scared but more scared not to... It's normal...ask as many questions about HIS mortality rate, research online what you can about him and most importantly compliance is key... I told myself the same things I'm saying to you :)

All the best!

Thank you!! I hope your surgery goes well!!