Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spin Off thread: do people comment often?

Someone asked about having a good comeback ready when someone tells you you're taking the easy way out - and I'm wondering, does this happen often?

I am just not the type of person that makes comments about Other people's health choices - it's hard for me to wrap my head around.

(Only a choice few people know that I'm having Bariatric surgery. I'm guessing my co- workers will put 2+2 together when I'm out for two weeks and then start losing weight)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am still pre-op, but I am a "teller" and I have told a decent number of people. I have only had one person react like that so far, and I knew that she would because we have had lots of discussions about surgery in the past. Honestly I have had more comments along the lines of "oh, you don't need it." For reference, I am 5'8", 315 pounds, and have been in the 300s most of my adult life. The smallest I ever got on my own was 260, and that was strictly limiting calories and working out 2+ hours a day. The next time someone tells me I don't need it, I am going to ask them "why do you think I don't?"

Ive told a handful thats it and most support a few " why not weight watchers or a strict diet?" Or the " ohh really?" And theres so much like sass attitude disgust behind the statement so I've chosen to just be quiet about it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

I've told only people about my procedure that I'm really close to and support me no matter what. This process is hard enough and I don't want or need anyone's negativity clouding my path to a healthier happier lifestyle. It's good to get objective advice but you can get that from your doctor who should be giving you the bottom line about your health anyways.

I think it's a little bit who you are. I've got a fairly strong personality and a great resting b!tch face when I'm around stupid people, so I rarely got questions or comments other than compliments.

The few times I did, I just gave them the "you are too stupid" look and the "bless your heart" tone of voice and they got the idea pretty fast.

;)

I've always found that the easiest way to get co-workers "poking and prodding" into your personal business is to NOT answer their questions. Doing so makes finding "the nitty gritty" details a fun challenge for the "gossip mongers" who thrive in every workplace.

I've just answered each question as factual and to the point and "dry" as possible. Doing so, I have found takes all of the fun out of finding out "the real truth".

Having WLS was my decision. So what? I'm not ashamed of it, so why keep it a secret?(my opinion). Some one want a question answered, ask and I will give an honest and direct answer. That ends the "I know The REAL story about Valentina's sudden weight loss. She had an abortion and now has CA because God is angry with her", bullsh*t.

Facts stops that nonsense every time. Facts are soo uninteresting.

On this day, the above is my personal opinion.

I've always found that the easiest way to get co-workers "poking and prodding" into your personal business is to NOT answer their questions. Doing so makes finding "the nitty gritty" details a fun challenge for the "gossip mongers" who thrive in every workplace.

I've just answered each question as factual and to the point and "dry" as possible. Doing so, I have found takes all of the fun out of finding out "the real truth".

Having WLS was my decision. So what? I'm not ashamed of it, so why keep it a secret?(my opinion). Some one want a question answered, ask and I will give an honest and direct answer. That ends the "I know The REAL story about Valentina's sudden weight loss. She had an abortion and now has CA because God is angry with her", bullsh*t.

It would be so entertaining to give out about 14 completely preposterous stories like you are taking tums with Coronas and radishes, the Mexico Water diet that makes you poop everything out at an alarming rate, that you combined the raw and the Adkins diet and now you eat nothing but raw meat or you could always claim that you volunteered to by probed by aliens.

I give some variation of this each time I'm asked.

http://www.theantichick.com/2016/08/05/the-easy-way-out/

My parents stopped by this evening to check on me, and I had to repeat it for them for the 2nd or 3rd time. They'll get it eventually. :D

It would be so entertaining to give out about 14 completely preposterous stories like you are taking tums with Coronas and radishes, the Mexico Water diet that makes you poop everything out at an alarming rate, that you combined the raw and the Adkins diet and now you eat nothing but raw meat or you could always claim that you volunteered to by probed by aliens.

Oh no! I actually do love eating raw meat and have dreams about alien probing... :)

Oh no! I actually do love eating raw meat and have dreams about alien probing... :)
Perhaps cattle mutilation is in your future?

I chose to be upfront with folks.

It has been the biggest non-issue.

When I get comments they are always positive. They know I feel much better and that's all that really matters. Hoping to feel better was the reason I had WLS.

Someone asked about having a good comeback ready when someone tells you you're taking the easy way out - and I'm wondering, does this happen often?

I am just not the type of person that makes comments about Other people's health choices - it's hard for me to wrap my head around.

(Only a choice few people know that I'm having Bariatric surgery. I'm guessing my co- workers will put 2+2 together when I'm out for two weeks and then start losing weight)

I've really wondered this same thing......I really haven't ever had anyone ask such personal type questions from such a rude frame of mind. The only people that know are my close family members, and I work from home so I don't have to worry about work people. The only other people that see me on a regular basis are my neighbors and they see me when I'm walking .....and I walk a LOT! So it should be obvious to them why I'm getting smaller....The only comments I've gotten from any of them are complements.

Sometimes even close family or friends that you think will support you will say you're taking the easy way out. My doctor told me if anyone says that to me, I should say "yes I did". If someone broke their arm and needed a cast, would you think they took the easy way out? Sure, because there was a problem with a solution and you took it.

I think if anyone has the audacity - I am going to say "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion" and leave it at that. In fact, This is my new mantra!!!

Hello all, I'm new to this forum! Couldn't wait to join the club! So I'm sorry for no intro yet! I tell pretty much everybody about getting WLS in November. I'm so excited I can't help telling people! Not one person has said anything negative. The only thing I've gotten was "how did you get approved for that" you don't look that overweight." I'm 235 lbs btw and 36 bmi with high BP.

I can't imagine people having the audacity to say something nasty to me about it. If someone did say something negative to me I would just tell them it's for my health and that I've tried everything and just gain it back. If they kept on then I'd probably snap at them for not being supportive. If it was a stranger I'd just say to each their own and ignore them and walk away.

PS. Is there a place for intros? Off topic sorry, don't mean to thread jack.

Edited by marchmellow