Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery: When you say you have a hard time getting it all in.

I've heard many people say that right after surgery, they have a hard time getting in their Protein drinks and Water. May I ask why? Are you full after a couples of sips? Is it painful? Are you nauseated? Preparing myself for reality.

I was full after a few sips (or even 1 sip!). I also had no appetite or desire to eat.

Right after surgery we are swollen but it gets easier.

It really is hard to describe the difference between pre-op and post-op.

I've heard many people say that right after surgery, they have a hard time getting in their Protein drinks and Water. May I ask why? Are you full after a couples of sips? Is it painful? Are you nauseated? Preparing myself for reality.

All of the above.

With the swelling post surgery, the stomach is as narrow as the width of a pen.

Many of us have trouble with regular Water intake. Its hard to describe, but it just doesn't go down naturally. I can describe it as pain, but its uncomfortable. So you need to cut it with something like crystal light, tea. And bottom line, you will be amazed that your taste buds have changed. Some Protein shakes you liked pre surgery, you can't stomach afterwards. So it will take a few days to figure out what you like so you can start working on getting those into your body.

At 2 years out, I still have trouble with really cold Water. Room temperature or warm go down much easier. It's really weird!

I still cannot do cold Water, it has to be room temp and I a nearly 2 years post of.

At 2 years out, I still have trouble with really cold Water. Room temperature or warm go down much easier. It's really weird!

So dumb question why is cold Water difficult? I prefer my water cold and haven't noticed any issues with it.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 270 lbs

So dumb question why is cold Water difficult? I prefer my water cold and haven't noticed any issues with it.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 270 lbs

I honestly have no idea! I just can't drink mouthfuls like I can lukewarm or warm stuff. Kind of like it gets "stuck". Like it takes me a half an hour to finish a cold bottle of water, but a room temperature bottle I can drink down in a matter of minutes.

Like I said, weird. But it's good to see I'm not the only one :P

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 270 lbs

I don't know either but I think it has something tondo with water tension (at least in part).

You will just have to try different temperatures and infusions to see what works.

It took a while, but I can drink a lot of ice water now.

my problem is that until today I had to take such tiny sips to avoid the discomfort with swallowing that it seemed I was sipping constantly for an hour and my cup would only go down an inch. I've been able to increase the size of my sips each day, and get more Fluid in each day along with it.

my problem is that until today I had to take such tiny sips to avoid the discomfort with swallowing that it seemed I was sipping constantly for an hour and my cup would only go down an inch. I've been able to increase the size of my sips each day, and get more Fluid in each day along with it.

Definitely this for me. The first several days I could only take teeny-tiny sips. The Protein shakes also made me slightly uncomfortable. At first, it would take me two hours to get through a 12oz shake.

You have to constantly have a beverage with you. If I take a nap, or leave my bottle behind when I run an errand, I get behind on my Water. It's impossible to catch up once you get behind.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Also, once you start eating solids you may feel quite full for hours afterwards and not want to drink. Plus you aren't supposed to drink for 15-30 minutes before a meal, during the meal, or for 30 minutes afterwards. That's 60-90 minutes out of your day, three times a day, when you cannot be drinking. Sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App