Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Here! My story so far...

Hello Everyone!

I figured it was time to join a forum because I'm sure I'm driving my friends crazy with all the VSG talk! Anywho, my name is Erin and I am 32. After many years of struggling with my weight decided to look into the VSG on July 28th. On that day I quit smoking (cold turkey), quit drinking alcohol, and coffee! I attended my first seminar on Aug 8th and it made me feel like this is definitely the right decision for me. Thankfully my family and friends are all very supportive so it helps. I have my first appointment with my surgeon on August 26 to go over the insurance and surgery requirements. I don't think I have any cormobidies but my BMI is 45.

Today I went to get a check up with my PCP and am scheduled for an ultrasound due to some stomach pain I have been having. He is worried it may be my spleen. I'm hoping it is nothing that will hinder me getting my surgery. I asked my PCP how he felt about wls and he is absolutely against it. He said he would rather me try medication to curb my appitite, because in his experience wls patients gain the weight back. I think I need a new PCP. Luckily my surgery program said they will write the letter of medical necessity for the insurance approval if I am a good candidate.

I am very excited to meet with the surgeon and finally get the ball rolling. My plan is to get that checklist completed ASAP so I can be one step closer to a healthier version of myself!

Thanks for reading my story!

Hi!! I'm a newbie as well and I know I've eaten everyones ear off..that is the 4 people that know my plan. We are kinda on the same track..I had a consult with my NUT in July and a meeting I guess to determine eligibility..my first official WLS meeting is this coming week..I'm not nervous yet bcse my surgery will probably be done in February/March as I have to go thru 6 classes per my insurance (Kaiser)..Good Luck..and I will keep u in prayer regarding your ailment.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

Hi!! I'm a newbie as well and I know I've eaten everyones ear off..that is the 4 people that know my plan. We are kinda on the same track..I had a consult with my NUT in July and a meeting I guess to determine eligibility..my first official WLS meeting is this coming week..I'm not nervous yet bcse my surgery will probably be done in February/March as I have to go thru 6 classes per my insurance (Kaiser)..Good Luck..and I will keep u in prayer regarding your ailment.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you! Best of luck to you. I look forward to following your journey!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

@@PNWsleever Welcome! I hope your ultrasound doesn't show anything serious. What makes your PCP think it's your spleen? How's your bloodwork? Let us know how you make out!

He thinks it may be my spleen simply because of the location. It's in my upper left quadrant and I sometimes feel the pain in my ribs. No other symptoms. I did bloodwork for him on Friday so I hope to know more soon. They said the results should take about a week or two to get back.

Does your surgeon have a medical doctor that will be seeing you during the process? Mine did and I quickly made her my primary. I figured since she was following my through this and would know my inside and out it made sense. Plus you will have a PCP that understands bariatric patients and their needs. I hope all works out with your labs.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Does your surgeon have a medical doctor that will be seeing you during the process? Mine did and I quickly made her my primary. I figured since she was following my through this and would know my inside and out it made sense. Plus you will have a PCP that understands bariatric patients and their needs. I hope all works out with your labs.

Thank you! I will definitely ask my surgeon if he has a medical doctor on his team. Even if he knows the names of some his other patients use would be helpful for me to make the switch! Great idea!

I got my lab results in today. My PCP said they look great! I'm having an abdominal ultrasound on friday to see why i have upper left quadrant pain off and on and after that will be my first consultation with my surgeon. Wish me luck!

Great news! Best of luck to you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

Ultrasound results are in and everything looks good! I do have 2 small cysts on my left kidney but they are of no cause for concern. I'm sitting in the waiting room at my first consultation with my surgeon now. Will update more later!

BCBS of Illinois requirements for WLS

* 1 Nut Eval

* 1 Psychological Eval

* 1 Presurgery Education Class

Requirements for Surgeon

* Bloodwork (done)

* Chest Xray

* Abdominal Ultrasound (done)

* EKG

* Endoscopy

I have to wait a week before scheduling anything to give time for my surgeon to notify everyone. But hey at least I don't have to do a sleep study!!! :)

My frustration level is high today. It's been almost 2 weeks since my consultation with my surgeon and he STILL has not sent in the orders for my testing. I can't make any appointments or do anything until he does. What's worse is I am loosing my paid Dr. Visit benefits at work in 3 weeks. I called his medical staff today and asked them why it's taking so long? They said they will send a message to his nurse and she would call as soon as the orders go out. Perhaps I need to chill but I cant. I just want to get these tests over with!

I had my endoscopy today! I have a small hiatal hernia and had biopsy samples taken of my zline and my esophagus due to redness. I will get the biopsy results next week but I am feeling good, and am so glad to have another item checked off my list.

Biopsy results are in! I have H Pylori. I will be starting 2 weeks of antibiotics to treat the infection shortly and then i will be on to the next step in this journey! Next up..chest xray and ekg.

I'm new here too!! I'm 26/ 5'5.5 / 279lbs. Been on the larger side since I was in middle school. I had my first consultation on Wednesday. Still deciding between RNY and the Sleeve. I am a Private Payer. I have a follow up visit on October 18th and looking to have all of my appointments complete by then. Blood work is done and everything is scheduled except for the sleep test and the nutritionist visit! I'm so excited and anxious for the future!!