Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 mo visits- should I stay on phentermine?

Hi all, I've had a visit with my surgeon and I'm trying to decide if I should stay on phentermine until I get my approval for surgery. (I still need 5 more monthly visits).

Personally, I'm paranoid of gaining weight since I'm afraid if I do I won't be approved.

Also, I'd like to try and lose as much weight as I can prior to surgery (even if it's 10 pounds).

Realistically my surgery won't be until February 2017 at the earliest.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It depends on your dosage I would think. I personally did not like the side effects so being at a lower dose helped me maintain my previous loss but wasn't aggressive enough to keep me losing.

@@renewyou I'm on 37.5 I'm really using it as a tool to help curb my appetite especially since I have a vacation and bday coming up. I want to lose as much weight as I can. Just wanted to see if others used phentermine before pre op :)

Hi all, I've had a visit with my surgeon and I'm trying to decide if I should stay on phentermine until I get my approval for surgery. (I still need 5 more monthly visits).

Personally, I'm paranoid of gaining weight since I'm afraid if I do I won't be approved.

Also, I'd like to try and lose as much weight as I can prior to surgery (even if it's 10 pounds).

Hi,

I'm in the same situation as you. My proposed sleeve date is February 2017, too. I'm taking phentermine until probably Jan.

My PCOS is so bad that it's beating up the phentermine. I don't think it's helping because I am constantly gaining weight. My first appointment with the surgeon was on July 28th. I weighed in at 234. And, when I went to my first nutritional visit, I weighed 241. Today, I'm at 238.

If I lose 20lbs during the 6months I will be happy.

Anyway, if you gain weight they might delay your surgery, but I think you'll be fine.

Remember to use your nutritional labels like this:

Carbs - 1 digit number

Fats - 1 digit number

Protein- 2 digit number

Don't eat the food if it doesn't match this guide. Doing it this way should work.

Best of luck on your journey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

@@teedsg does your surgeon know about the phentermine? I told them I used it in the past. I just started again after my visit bc of my upcoming trip. I was at 270 in July. I am now at 256. I'd like to get down to 215-230 to feel more comfortable, confident and to show as much effort.

Definitely trying not to gain weight and really control my appetite with the phentermine.

Could you elaborate a bit on the nutritional labels? In other words, does it mean to keep carbs under 10g? Just want to be sure I follow.

Very awesome that we are on a similar expected surgery date :) really hoping these 6 months go by fast.

Yes, my surgeon knows I'm taking phentermine.

That's great you have lost that much weight on your own.

Yes, about the carbs, make sure their under 10g.

I hope it goes fast too. ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I used it sparingly off and on and just had my last 6 month appt yesterday. I didn't want my BMI to go below 40 plus I couldn't sleep when taking it so I only took it on days I thought I may eat more than usual.

Thanks!! Yes I am waiting...the patient coordinator is on vacation and the psych eval is taking forever to come through. Hurry up and wait...

I had the same question. I'm looking to have surgery in Feb or March of next year too. I stopped the Phentermine to try n have control on my own since I can't take it after surgery. Gained 3pounds back already smh. Going to try harder to at least maintain my current weight

Sent from my XT1526 using the BariatricPal App

I stayed on mine....it helped with energy when I started my clear liquid diet. If your Dr says you can, I would continue taking them until they tell you to stop, usually up til surgery.....depending on your Dr. I was sleeved 9/14/16....haven't taken any since surgery but I'm also off work so a mass amount of energy isn't top priority yet lol but once I get back up and on my feet I will finish my rx to help with the gym but after that I'll quit. Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App