Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you guys deal with head hunger? I'm hungry, I eat the correct portion of food. The physical hunger sensation goes away however, I feel like in my head I could eat more. I don't because I don't want to get sick but I can tell this might become an issue in the future. How do I cope?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I get it often even 23 months post op. I distract myself. Read a book, take a shower, do the dishes, cook dinner or whatever, crochet, get on Bariatric pal.....you name it I do it.

I have not found this to get any easier.....

Djmohr, I love all of your advice because all of your post I have read are very helpful. I was hoping that head hunger or mental hunger would get better in time with the surgery. I am in the beginning phase, I have my psych evaluation this week and I plan on inquiring about therapy for the coming year to help with head hunger. That is my biggest fear and concern with me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I have into my head hunger today and am paying the price. I've been sick for a few hours now. At least I've learned my lesson!

Djmohr, I love all of your advice because all of your post I have read are very helpful. I was hoping that head hunger or mental hunger would get better in time with the surgery. I am in the beginning phase, I have my psych evaluation this week and I plan on inquiring about therapy for the coming year to help with head hunger. That is my biggest fear and concern with me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I was thinking the same thing about getting therapy. I'm sure it's helpful.

Therapy helped me - although I'm still pre-op - I've already been able to get my emotional eating / head hunger under better control. It's not 100% but alot better than before therapy.

For me, head hunger can be one of two things. First, it's just obsessive thinking. If that's the case, as @Djmhor suggests, distraction is the best method. Sometimes, though, it's an emotional thing. Because of the way I grew up, food represents security for me. If I feel stressed, unsafe, sad (insert negative emotion here) my brain tells me to eat and I'll be happy/safe/calm .... whatever. If it's emotional, then I need to address how I'm feeling and take steps to manage the problem behind the emotion. Usually by the time I journal, call a friend or go work out either a. I'm not hungry anymore or b. it's time to eat again. Therapy is so, so helpful for this type of thing. I highly recommend it.

I know mine is definately my brain thinking about food and not so emotional. I usually will drink a lot of Water when this is happening to me.

For example....right now I have a brisket cooking in my instant pot. It smells so good in here and I know I am not truly hungry but I want something.

I also know if I go into the kitchen and get a snack like a yogurt or an apple, I won't be hungry when my brisket is done so I won't eat enough of it.

Then come 10pm tonight I will actually be hungry. So I know the best thing I could do for myself right now is try Water, if it gets to be too much I might have a half cup of milk but only if I cannot get past it.

I found myself on here instead. I have to go clean carrots so I know that will keep me busy.

It's like a game and most of the time, I am stubborn enough to win. LOL.

It only took one naysayer who had bypass previously and gained all their weight back to tell me I was not going to be successful to prove them wrong. It's just the way I am wired.

I agree with @@Djmohr - distraction, distraction, distraction! Whatever distraction works for you. And most times, Water helps me distinguish whether it is true hunger or head hunger, too. (I have to confess, I sometimes get sick of just Water - even with flavorings - but small price to pay!)

Another technique I developed in therapy:

First, I remind myself "I am not my thoughts" or "I am not my urges" to think about who's in control of my actions. Then, I clench my fists as hard as possible (without cutting into myself with my nails!) and count very, very slowly to 30, or 60, concentrating on steady, deep breathing. It usually works to help re-boot my brain. Sometimes, I have to do this many times a day, other times not so much, but it really does help keep me mindful and focused on my goals. This seems to help whether it is obsessive thoughts or emotional reasons and its something I can do any time, any where.

It helps me to get my head right about food in general. I've gotten to where I am because of emotional eating. This surgery has given me a chance to break those old habits and deal with my emotions in a whole new way. It's odd because I feel so much more myself without having to use food to cope with that. I have found a great support group at my church that helps people deal with addiction and self defeating behaviors and it has helped me immensely.

The other thing I do is smell good food and usually that helps me not have head hunger. Maybe it's my postop brain speaking but nothing that is bad for me is going in my body.

It probably also helped me to have had one incident of dumping from licking one piece of honeydew melon last week. I literally licked it and had a full body rejection of the fructose in that thing. It was no joke the worst feeling ever so in order to avoid any future episodes I'm just cool with what this body can do right now. In all honesty it is the first time in a long time that food has no control over any aspect of my life and although difficult at times when I see something I used to love also extremely liberating! Hugs to you. Life is good!