Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GALLBLADDER HAS TO GO!

Can I get a few people to tell me what to expect before, durning and after getting your gallbladder removed? Also, how long were you out of work? I have a desk job. I need lots of details please! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Nikki Monroe

@@Nikki Monroe

I had my gallbladder removed 20 years ago, in 1996.

A radioactive scan for my kidneys revealed a huge gall stone in my gall bladder.

I started having horrendous pains in my right side, it felt I was being stabbed with a knife! Though the pains were not constant, every attack left me feel more and more sick and scared.

So, I had my gallbladder removed, under full anaesthetic, and I was in a hospital for 2 days/1 night.

The absolute worst for me was the gas pain afterwards. It was so bad that I didn't even feel pain at the incision site!

The gas pain was constant and it felt like an enormous cramp in my shoulder.

I had strong pain killers, thankfully.

I had to massage the shoulder a lot.

I had a week off work, and really I bounced back quickly.

The shoulder pain went away, but being so long ago, I don't remember exactly when it went away.

I was told to stay away from fatty foods.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your op!

@@Nikki Monroe I was in so much pain with a gallbladder attack requiring emergency surgery that the recovery seemed easy. Similar to sleeve surgery - they pump up your abdomen with gas - so there is pain and being uncomfortable from that. My gallbladder was seriously infected so I stayed one night inpatient. I honestly don't remember all that much pain after surgery. I think I stayed out of work for 3 weeks but I'm sure I could have gone back sooner (just didn't want to). ;-) Good luck!

@@KristenLe

Yes, the gallbladder attacks were the worst pain for me. Totally crippling.

Glad you felt much better after the gallbladder removal. I did too :)

Easier than sleeve--which was really easy for me. I was back to desk work in four days.

thanks everyone - I'm relieved to hear that when it is removed you found relief. I had my sleeve done a year and 3 months ago and have been having gallbladder attacks for 4 months now. I'm sitting in the hospital right now and found out it's infected and has to come out. I am really worried about malabsorption or frequent diarrhea issues. Have you all gone back to regular digestion after the surgery healed?

@@NoMoreWeightNJ

Good luck with the gall bladder removal! For me it was no more pain or worries when the next attack would come, how bad the pain would be and how long would the attack last.

I was told to be careful with fatty meals post op. And later on I did not notice any changes in my digestion, and no malabsorption.

I had frequent diarrhoea, but this was due to my Graves/Hyper-thyroid disease.

Some people have reactions to heavy/fatty meals after the cholecystectomy, I didn't.

My gall bladder was taken out 20 years ago, well before my WLS.

I hope you get more replies to your question.

Good luck, and get that sucker out!

I had my gall bladder removed 3 years ago. It was an outpatient surgery. The air inside my body from the surgery was the worst part, but subsided the first day. I took two weeks off of work but was fine after one week. Everyone is different, but I hope yours goes just as smoothly.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

thanks everyone! I appreciate you sharing your input!

Had my gallbladder taken out yesterday morning at 9am and can honestly say that this was way easier than the sleeve as far as recovery from the surgery itself. I was up walking around 4 hours after surgery and discharged by 630pm. I'm home and feeling better already. I'm so glad it went smooth. Thanks for the help!

@@NoMoreWeightNJ

Great news! Glad it all went well and that you are feeling better :)

I think mine is on its way out... i have had like a gnawing/sharp pain in my right side for 2 days, worse after eating....

What kind of symptoms did you guys get when it was "malfunctioning"?

I think mine is on its way out... i have had like a gnawing/sharp pain in my right side for 2 days, worse after eating....

What kind of symptoms did you guys get when it was "malfunctioning"?

Sounds like it. Sudden sharp pain in upper right abdomen, Constipation, right shoulder pain, nausea, feeling gas, feeling bloated....just to name a few. GOOD LUCK!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@

Yes, it could be your gall bladder. Both the liver and gall bladder are on the right side of the body.

I had 1 big stone that made my life miserable. Sudden sharp pains on my right side, incredibly painful, felt like I was being stabbed with a knife, repeatedly. As I was travelling so much for work, I didn't want to be stuck overseas or have my common bile duct obstructed with possibly no doctor on a long-haul flight.

Since it was long time ago, I remember the super painful attacks, and my poo was getting lighter.

Please, have it checked out ASAP! Don't wait till a possible infection or obstruction. And please let us know how you went.

Good Luck!

Well it seems to have calmed down now, but i have reduced fat since it started to give my gallbladder a break..... hopefully it doesn't return, if it does, I'll definitely go to the doctor... i don't have any other symptoms other than that gnawing/stabbing pain, and its intermittent, and like a 3 on the pain scale.. here's hoping its nothing