Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 2 years ago, thinking of D/S. Any here go to Mexico?

Hi there. I used to weigh 500 pounds and had a VSG in July of 2014 that I self-paid. I went down to 299 pounds last fall, but after a really hard time I went back up to about 360. I'm down to 340 after recommitting to eating better, but I'm just not seeing much movement on the scale. For 2 weeks I've eaten less than 800 calories most days, and I actually gained 1 pound this week.

I've had several people tell me that at that large of a size I shouldn't have gotten the sleeve, but should have gotten a D/S. My current insurance does pay for weight loss surgery, but I'm not sure if they'd pay for a revision to a gastric bypass and I *think* I read that they don't cover the D/S at all. I'm going to call on Monday to see for sure, but I'm not hopeful.

Now, I have read that there are places in Mexico that will do a revision for just under $10K. I could possibly get a home equity loan and have this done, but I'm really hoping that someone here has gotten surgery in Mexico and might share their experience?

After paying $14K for the sleeve, I just can't afford the $25K that I've read it costs (minimally) to self pay in America. I have to say I'm embarrassed to even be considering ANOTHER WLS after just 2 years, but here I am.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Have you gone back to your surgeon and bariatric team to see if they can work with you to see if your sleeve can still work for you?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Have you gone back to your surgeon and bariatric team to see if they can work with you to see if your sleeve can still work for you?

I haven't done that. I assumed it would result in me paying thousands more for something. Maybe I should contact them just to see. Thanks for the reply!

Sent you a PM.

I haven't done that. I assumed it would result in me paying thousands more for something. Maybe I should contact them just to see. Thanks for the reply!

They might be able to help you!

be sure to do your research. This has been discussed on another bariatric forum I'm on (not in awhile, though). There was one surgeon named Dr. Ungson who was supposedly really great, but he's no longer in practice. There are another couple of good ones as well - but also some really not-so-good ones. They may have been discussed here as well - check the search feature and see.

Edited by catwoman7

here's a thread from a couple of years ago with a couple of other names. I'll also find a link to Dr. Ungson's former clinic. Someone else is there now whom I think I read was pretty good

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/328780-looking-for-info-on-duodenal-switch-surgery-in-mexico/

Yes I agree you should have had a gastric bypass at your weight. If Dr Ungson is no longer in practise I am sure that whomever he trained is well qualified. I had bariatric surgeries in Mexico by two different doctors and both surgeries were great. Best of luck!! Oh and I hear that yes DS is under 10,000 I had a quote and I beleive it was 9 and change.

I just converted my sleeve to the SADI-S in Mexico on 8/11/16. And yes, it cost a lot less and I was scared shirtless because of that. But thankfully all went really well, I got great care, and now 8 days later I'm home and down 12lbs- which I'm still in shock from. Because like u, before the revision I tried my damn seat to lose my regain naturally and like u I had the nerve to gain weight on a 800 calorie/day diet! I was sooo pissed and honestly concerned that meant this revision would not work. Who knows what tomorrow holds, I'm still terrified of regain and/or not losing. I don't think I'll really believe it's working until I'm back down to my old goal weight.