Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changes after hair loss

I've been through Hair loss before, but for a different reason. When I was in high school I had alopecia. I lost about 50% of my hair, mostly on my crown. My hair used to be so thick, wavy and constantly frizzy. What grew back was so much thinner and manageable. I still have areas up there where the hair is crazy thin and if my hair gets greasy at all it looks like a comb-over. I am worried, though, about going through this again, but I don't think it will be as bad emotionally as when I was 16. I just hope it all grows back okay. The thing that makes me saddest is I have been growing my hair out for years now, but I think I'm going to cut it as soon as I see the loss happening again.

I did a lot of studying on this topic because my hair loss was so significant.

What I learned is there is no stopping it if in fact you are one of the folks that lose it during massive weight loss, following a major surgery or going through menopause. That was my situation.

No amount of extra Protein is going to stop it from coming out however if you don't get your allotted Protein it can make you lose your hair even if you were not one of the folks that normally would.

Also Biotin, hair,nails,skin helps a lot with regrowth but it will not stop you from losing it to begin with. A lot of folks assume if I take Biotin, it won't fall out. I am here to tell you that is not true.

The good news is, your hair will come back in, it should not leave bald spots (that is a sign of actual allopecia). The biotin will help with regrowth immediately. Mine started falling out almost immediately (within 8 weeks post op and did not stop until post op month 13)

Now I am 23 months post op and my hair is thicker and more healthier than ever in my life. It just happens to be very very curly too.

I know it is hard not to freak out when it is happening to you but the best thing you can do is cut it short and cute. You will notice more than anyone else. Once my doctors told me it would stop once the massive weight loss stopped, I no longer wanted it to stop fearing my honeymoon period was over. Well, mine stopped at 13 months, I continued to lose weight until 18 months post op when I reached my optimal weight goal.

It is just part of the process for some of us and going through menopause at the same time,or having hypothyroidism can make it worse which was my case. Never did I have bald spots but you could see my scalp of which is not longer the case.

Best of luck and try not to worry.

@@KristenLe It actually grew back on its own after a year or so. Well, enough of it, at least. I have huge Patches on my arms and legs that never came back. My part is extra-wide and like I said earlier, a lot of the hair is thin on the top of my head. It never came back, which I am thankful for.

I had my surgery back in April.. my hair has always "shed" a lot.. my husband used to say that if he lost as much hair as I do in the shower, he'd be bald in a week. If he saw how much of it falls out now, he'd be bald in 2 days lol. Luckily I have a ton of hair- it's always been super thick, so I'm the only one who notices that my hair is thinner. I can tell in my part in the front, that it's a lot thinner than before. I hit my Protein goals, I take my Vitamins, take Biotin to keep new growth coming in. What I have noticed is that the last two months, my hair has been crazy-- if I don't dry it and use a big round brush to smooth it out-- my hair was doing these little flippy wing things all over my head. It's getting curly. I've always had a little bit of wave in my hair- but this is different... so this morning I broke out an old can of loreal mousse (curve it elasti-curl or something like that)... that I had from when I had a perm like 2 years ago. My hair has been cut many times since then and the perm has been long gone for quite a while now, it's just about chin length. So I am embracing the curl-- moussed it up, broke out the old diffuser and it is so curly it's crazy!

I lost a lot of hair :( My hair has always been thinner and fine textured. I am not losing as much now but I am making sure I get my Protein as a matter of fact I eat mostly meat eggs or Beans that's it.... They said it starts coming out at about 7 ish months in or so... and mine didn't start until then really sucks cos I didn't have all that much to begin with... I hope it stops soon... and Can thicken back up as well...

Mine started at 2.5 months. I was revision so I was already on all Vitamins, get my Protein in and use Biotin and nioxin. I should be happy Im getting healthier but losing my hair had me in tears two days,ago

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal A

I have cried a few times about it... I also cried the first time I put on a pair of jeans... no jeans in almost 6 yrs.... and I cried when I put on a 13/14 in jrs.... that was unexpected I have always been a bit bigger.... since I had my first child... I started as a sixe 4.... now I cry at a 13/14... its a crazy bumpy emotional ride...

I've always had really thick straight hair all of my life. When had band surgery, I lost half my hair. It kept falling out so I checked and I was anemic. Anemia can also cause Hair loss. so I started taking Iron and then 2 1/2 years later, had the sleeve, and again, I lost half my hair.

This time, it did grow back curly. I love it. It's still much thinner than it's every been and there are new hairs growing in all the time, so I have a lot of frizz.

I've learned which products help the curl stay in and which one I need to tame the firzzies down. I love it when it's curly and has a lot of body but it's still way thinner than it's ever been in my life.

I still take a multi Vitamin and Biotin and Iron, and I hope it gets thicker again over time.

I am coming up on 7 months post op. Been taking Biotin for years before my surgery for my nails mostly. Continued with it through the months after surgery as well as all my other Vitamins and my Protein is between 60 to 80. I am also 60 years old and have not lost any hair. I don't know maybe based on what one poster wrote it might still happen. However if it does and it gets really thin and looks bad I might just go get a wig till it grows backs.

I can imagine for many of you who are younger it is a difficult thing to deal with. However I would rather be thinner and have thinner hair than be super obese and sick in many other ways and have thick hair. It is a compromise I am willing to accept for being healthier, happier and finally able to live a more active life.

I am coming up on 7 months post op. Been taking Biotin for years before my surgery for my nails mostly. Continued with it through the months after surgery as well as all my other Vitamins and my Protein is between 60 to 80. I am also 60 years old and have not lost any hair. I don't know maybe based on what one poster wrote it might still happen. However if it does and it gets really thin and looks bad I might just go get a wig till it grows backs.

I can imagine for many of you who are younger it is a difficult thing to deal with. However I would rather be thinner and have thinner hair than be super obese and sick in many other ways and have thick hair. It is a compromise I am willing to accept for being healthier, happier and finally able to live a more active life.

You have a good point. I just want to have hair. Because it was so thin even before surgery.... I can see my scalp in places I just put it in a pony tail and let it be but being healthy feeling good is a million times better... Walking again not being treated like a second class person... it matters a lot.... but I want to feel good about myself so would like my hair to be semi thicker... <3 but your point is VERY valid.

I feel we all have to compromise somewhat for the gift we have been given ( and worked hard for ) of a healthier life.

Some here want hair, some want pizza, some want alcohol. I guess we must be willing to take what is handed to us and deal with it the best we can.

In my heart, WLS is worth a lot of compromise.... (Considering what obesity can do to many as we age)

I hate to break it to your but if you have curly wavy hair, your hair is just as likely if not more likely to grow back straight. So many of my curly/wavy friends end up with straight hair after having babies. A flood of hormones will change your hair texture.

I've been pregnant 5 times resulting in 3 children ( 2 miscarriages both at 4 months). I was born with a head of ridiculously thick super- curly red hair (thanks to my Italian heritage).

My youngest is 15 and my hair is as curly today as it was when I was a little girl. My saving grace at this point is the Hair loss I'm experiencing - which is significant- is not noticeable and has cut my drying and styling time in half. I'm not complaining.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My mom, btw, has the same hair type- and it didn't change after her pregnancies either.

My guess is it's a crap shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 3 months out and just last week is when my hair started falling out ... I mean it's everywhere and I have bold spots

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using the BariatricPal App

I'm notsix months yet but hair started falling out at two months and still coming out. I'm revision and get all my Protein in. I take Biotin and all Vitamins religiously and started nioxin pre revision. I think we all just need to ride out this phase sadly. When did your hair start coming back for those of you further out???

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

I have long mermaid hair. But very dark brunette with a white scalp and it can look patchy up there. I won't use Biotin because I've shelled out for expensive laser hair removal treatments for my body hair and don't want to mess with that progress. I've had great luck with scalp treatments like phytocane in the past when I've had Hair loss and am going to try another treatment cycle now at 3 months post op and will let you guys know if it helps my hair look fuller at the root.