Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saw my doc; she recommended a surgeon - but found this Tweet by him! Not sure I like this guy much

I saw my doctor yesterday and asked her about possibility of Gastric Sleeve. She seemed ok with it - hard to tell her real feelings. But she is a GP and has seen a lot in her career. She has patients that have undergone the surgery and she seems to understand the battle obese patients have with weight and the issues that accompany it. She knows me well - I've been her patient since about the time she began her practice. I think she 'gets' me. She referred me to this doctor in my city. Can do self-pay, so can bypass the very long waits for surgery paid by our provincial healthcare, and the surgery is done in a hospital, not a clinic. She said this guy was a GP originally (so she said he has a good bedside manner), but decided to pursue surgery after a number of years as a GP. She said she highly recommends him. His office is close to home for me, as well as the hospital he works out of. Here's the clincher: I looked him up on RateMD and there are mixed reviews, although I have to say his support staff gets very low marks compared to him. Some people were very happy, one guy wrote the worst review as he had a terrible outcome (he doesn't just do WLS - other surgeries too). Some say he thinks he's a god and acts like it, some say he is great at explaining things. Perhaps it depends on whether or not the patient is obese and there for bariatric surgery as to how he treats the patient ??- just going by the following tweet I found on him… what do you think? It's the best option I have in my city - and I'm going to go see him and get an opinion for myself - but this tweet made me VERY uneasy. Even more so than the bad review or two on him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kristalK55/status/403369637087178752/photo/1

Edited by TracyBar

@@TracyBar I would not go by the Tweet - he was just the recipient of it. The best thing to do is meet him yourself and see how you feel. You can't go by one or two bad reviews either. I would be more comfortable with your GP's recommendation than a few miserable people on the internet. Good luck!

Surgeons have sense of humors too, but that just my opinion. I would meet with him first, then make a decision. If you don't like him/her find someone you do like. Again, just my lowly, humble opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Surgeons have sense of humors too, but that just my opinion. I would meet with him first, then make a decision. If you don't like him/her find someone you do like. Again, just my lowly, humble opinion.

that thought did cross my mind of course - there were pictures of him with friends, etc. and I told myself he has a life outside of work. It just made me feel uneasy.

Good point - and I know that he wasn't the send but the recipient - it's just i would have expected him to just ignore a Tweet like that? Anyway, I will be going to see him. Just wondering how long it'll take!

Who knows, maybe it was a former patient that shared that tweet with him. I would definitely not judge him without meeting him and his staff. For me, I spent a lot more time with the support staff than I did the surgeon so liking them was very important to me.

I see it as funny and the tweet actually makes me like him more........I wouldn't go by anything you hear from others who have given him bad reviews. I would meet him and judge for myself. Just remember that folks who have a bad experience are much more likely to write a review...........If everything went well and as planned why even search out where to provide a review?....So wait and form your own opinion.

Edited by kmorri

I often tell my trainer and other's "I don't run, you know why? because I'm fat, fat people don't run, if I ran, I wouldn't be fat" He was the recipient of a tweet that was funny.

Agree! Don't go by the tweet. Feel him out first. Then if you don't like him, try someone else.

Ask him about the tweet !

You are all so smart!

I actually did find the joke funny - but then started feeling uneasy about it. I'm pretty sure that after you all have brought me back to reality, that I was feeling overly sensitive. I had just faced my doctor with the idea of Gastric surgery, thereby admitting fully to myself that I'm pretty overweight and have no control over my weight gain. I was shaking when I told her so I think my feelings were a bit raw.

thanks to all of you!

I often tell my trainer and other's "I don't run, you know why? because I'm fat, fat people don't run, if I ran, I wouldn't be fat" He was the recipient of a tweet that was funny.

Some Fat ppl run :-)

Great advice here! I'd DEFINITELY ask him about it :) And you know what, at the end of the day, you need a great surgeon, not a great guy. The doc who did my sleeve is not well-liked in our bariatric support group, but he does impeccable work and he and I speak the same language when it comes to patient responsibility and who is in charge of me, my behavior and my success or failure. THAT, after his technical ability, was my biggest criteria. Good luck!!

My surgeon is a really good surgeon. The support staff are lack luster. The chicks in the office have bad attitudes. I wasn't pleased with the after care but it doesn't really matter. I wanted a good surgery outcome and that is what I got. The rest afterwards, you can have anyone handle.

Meet him and form your own opinion.

I would say when it comes to the surgeon, go by the experience that they have. You don't have to like them as a person. You want the doctor that is the best at what they do. You will not be hanging out with them or inviting them over to dinner. Good luck with finding your surgery center!