Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Professional Wardrobe

Many of you may know that when I started my WLS journey I was on disability. After losing over 200 pounds (with a ways to go), I am starting the process of returning to work.

Up to now, I have been making do with my existing wardrobe with a few cheap additions here and there.

Before I moved to Kentucky I had a friend who sewed and made me skirts. I am harder to fit on the bottom off-the-rack and via catalogs due to my bottom-heaviness and lymphedema. My top is smaller than my bottom so even dresses are hard to fit. But, I can generally find tops online and now in stores.

I finally found someone here who can alter some of my skirts. I am going to see how she does and possibly see if she can make some new ones for me, too.

My biggest challenge right now is to come up with some basic pieces, especially for interviews, and shoes (absolutely no heels).

I don't know that I have any specific questions, I just wanted to put this out to the universe because it is on my mind right now.

Part of me really wants to be able to buy some nice clothes off the rack and have them fit perfectly! That probably will never happen but I do want to have the option of having a bigger selection.

The good thing is that even in our small town I have been able to find tops off-the-rack at several stores. I have been to a thrift store but may need to visit some consignment shops in Lexington. Whatever I do, getting some basic skirts made to fit me properly, even as I transition sizes, will be my best strategy for a while.

I am looking forward to building a good basic, chic wardrobe when I get to goal and s stable weight. In the meantime it is going to be an adventure!

a suggestion for shoes since I also can't wear heels is Clark's. a bit pricey but they wear like Iron and they have some very comfortable flat or nearly flat (slight perhaps 1/2" wedge) dress shoes (I also have several pair of lace up ones I wear with pants). if you go online you can find them in extended sizes and wide widths.

Or when you get skirts made have a drawstring put in, that way you can cinch em up as you continue to lose weight.

a suggestion for shoes since I also can't wear heels is Clark's. a bit pricey but they wear like Iron and they have some very comfortable flat or nearly flat (slight perhaps 1/2" wedge) dress shoes (I also have several pair of lace up ones I wear with pants). if you go online you can find them in extended sizes and wide widths.

Thanks for the reminder. We have a store in a nearby town that carries Clarks. The last time I went there (pre-op) I couldn't find any that I could wear. I'll have to try again.

Or when you get skirts made have a drawstring put in, that way you can cinch em up as you continue to lose weight.

Great idea. The ones I had made before have elastic waist bands, but a draw string would be better. The few skirts I wear all the time that so bought online have drawstrings and pockets. I will never buy another skirt without pockets if I can help it!

I know this doesn't have much to do with wardrobe advice- but I just wanted to say I am so darn proud of you @@Inner Surfer Girl!! Getting back into the workplace is a huge change and I know you will be successful. It's a NSV!!

Re: shoes. My job involves lots of walking and running through airports, long hallways, marble floors etc etc and the women are pretty much expected to wear heels. I don't always, because they've been harder to wear the more I weigh but one trick I learned is to just not spare a cent when it comes to footwear. You cannot beat an exquisitely crafted European shoe for comfort and sturdiness.

So what I like to do is check out high end comfort show stores. Washington, DC has one of the best stores I've found- it's called Comfort One and they also have an online store. Comfort shoe stores like Comfort One or Tip Top, Eneslow or Harry's in NYC specialize in problem feet- they have a solution for literally any foot.

You can give them a call and explain your needs and order some pairs to try on at home.

The best thing about the high end comfort shoes is that they don't all LOOK like orthopedics.

I look through their limited selection of heels (they don't carry a ton because heels DO NOT equal comfort) but they have a ton of gorgeous flat shoes in all varieties.

And in terms of budget, these shoes are so well made that they last forever. I just have a good cobbler tune them up for the season and I'm good to go.

I know this doesn't have much to do with wardrobe advice- but I just wanted to say I am so darn proud of you @@Inner Surfer Girl!! Getting back into the workplace is a huge change and I know you will be successful. It's a NSV!!

True that- it is a seriously bad a s s NSV

I totally agree with the comfort of Clarks! Also, Sketchers has some really comfortable slip-ons that are like sneakers but don't really look like sneakers.....They are very very comfy!

I'm so excited for you! I sew! Too bad I'm not close to you. I can't wait to hear all about how it all goes.

Thank you! It is exciting and scary. I have really enjoyed the opportunity to work on my health: between swimming and physical therapy I stay pretty busy as it is. Going back to work is going to be an adjustment.

I just pray that I find the "right" job. I do have time to find something good, as opposed to just finding anything.

I do live in a more rural area than I did when I was working, so there are fewer good opportunities and try don't come around very often.

If you pray, please keep me in your prayers!

Re: shoes. My job involves lots of walking and running through airports, long hallways, marble floors etc etc and the women are pretty much expected to wear heels. I don't always, because they've been harder to wear the more I weigh but one trick I learned is to just not spare a cent when it comes to footwear. You cannot beat an exquisitely crafted European shoe for comfort and sturdiness.

So what I like to do is check out high end comfort show stores. Washington, DC has one of the best stores I've found- it's called Comfort One and they also have an online store. Comfort shoe stores like Comfort One or Tip Top, Eneslow or Harry's in NYC specialize in problem feet- they have a solution for literally any foot.

You can give them a call and explain your needs and order some pairs to try on at home.

The best thing about the high end comfort shoes is that they don't all LOOK like orthopedics.

I look through their limited selection of heels (they don't carry a ton because heels DO NOT equal comfort) but they have a ton of gorgeous flat shoes in all varieties.

And in terms of budget, these shoes are so well made that they last forever. I just have a good cobbler tune them up for the season and I'm good to go.

Great idea!

When I lived in Atlanta I used to pass a shoe store every day that catered to drag queens. I figured if anyone could do comfortable, large-sized high heels, they could!

@@Inner Surfer Girl

First I want to say congratulations! You have done so wonderful and I am glad you are able to get back to work.

Shoes. Having a very bad back I cannot do heels and shoes is something you need to be prepared to spend some money on.

I have been buying Munro shoes for years. They are super comfortable, have great styles, wear like Iron. They come in wide widths as well as regular widths. I must have had 20 different pairs of shoes from them and even now when I go looking for shoes, I start there.

Best of luck to you.

Since developing the auto-immune arthritis, my feet have been incredibly finicky. I have had the best luck with Footsmart (online, once you know your size in different brands) and the Walking Company. They both carry brands that are comfy, and most don't have high heels at all. Though I did have to find a heel for my wedding last year, my hubby is 6'6" and even though I'm tall, he specifically requested me to wear heels for the wedding. I found a great pair of Naturalizers with a 3-1/4" heel that were comfy all day. :D Danskos are the friendliest to my feet, and they have some nice styles that don't look like orthopedic shoes. The best thing about the Walking Company is their employees are trained to get you the best fit, and will take an hour with different shoes and inserts if needed. Hubby started having trouble with his feet and I made him go to TWC and he won't go back to cheap shoes anywhere else again!!

@@Inner Surfer Girl,

Congratulations on your health issues improving enough for you to return to work! That must be both exciting and terrifying. I will pray for you as you requested.

@@Inner Surfer Girl, I am thrilled beyond thrilled for you. You've been a hero to me in many ways from the start. You've got so much to offer on all fronts. I don't know what sort of job(s) or field(s) you're seeking, but you'll be an amazing asset anywhere. I write great personal references if that's wanted by a prospective employer; it's a little off the wall, given the nature of our association, but you may interview with someone who's got imagination.

I'm not familiar first-hand with Hotter shoes, but they have a couple three styles in extra wide widths which you may find right for skirts and/or pants. RetailMeNot.com usually lists good discount offers which probably are accepted by Hotter. I don't know where Hotter ships from, but I believe I've seen notations about free shipping and returns. http://www.hotter.com/us/en

Easy Spirit seems to have some possibilities: http://www.easyspirit.com/

This one is a local store in business forever. I'm not first-hand familiar with it either, but they specialize in hard-to-fit shoes, orthopedics, et al. Why not browse the catalogue? http://eneslow.com/shop-online/women-s

I think that clothes that fit properly, especially for overweight people of 'unique' proportions, look so much better than adjustable things such as drawstrings. They look neater and, for your purposes, more professional, too. A proper fit looks better in two ways -- the garment looks like better quality and it is far more flattering to the wearer. It gets more expensive, but, if it boosts your confidence and you feel ready for anything, it's worth it.

You may find a local dressmaker/seamstress or two who can make things for you at prices equal to or not much higher than ready-to-wear. You'd have your choice of fabrics, etc., and the dressmaker probably knows enough to advise you on fibers that work best for the most flattering clothes. To find someone, you can try the online version of good, old-fashioned Yellow Pages (remember that?). Another possibility is to ask your dry cleaner; if the dry cleaner has a resident tailor, see if that person makes clothes from start to finish and if you can work something out either in the shop or after hours. If there are sewing classes at a public school or some sort of continuing ed facility, the teacher may also do dressmaking.

If I could sew, I'd visit and whip up a complete wardrobe for you. Barring that, accept my wishes for a wonderful adventure ahead. I hope you'll write as things develop.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch