Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Increased water intake = retaining water and gain?

About two months ago, I hit 148/49 on the scale after bouncing between 144 and 146 since I hit my goal of 145 last December. Usually being very strict and really cutting all carbs and sugary foods helps, but it hasn't.

I decided to do the five day pouch reset and my biggest glaring issue seems to be low Water intake. So I increased by intake to roughly 72-80 oz the past two days. But I'm finding the scale isn't even budging!

Has anyone had similar experience with water intake? I'm really upset and discouraged.

Why are you obsessing about this? Why are you doing a pouch test at goal?

You understand that 72 ounces of Water is 4 and a half pounds.

I'm noticing that my stomach's capacity is more than it used to be. Whereas I could eat half of a small container before, I can now eat a full one.

I know that Water weighs a lot. I'm just concerned that by increasing my water intake to where it should be, I'm maybe going against what my body wants?

I know that 5 lbs over goal doesn't seem like a lot (that 150 number makes me want to bawl when I get close enough), but it seems like it to me. I don't want it to be a gateway to bigger gains.

@@Jewelgirl04

You do know that having a larger capacity is normal the further out you get, right? And the answer to that is just making sure you're eating healthy, lower calorie foods that are measured out so you don't over eat.

If it makes you feel better, I did the 5 pound thing too. I did the EXACT same thing you did....maintained within 2 pounds, then gained about 5 after maintaining for about 7 months. Exact weight range you are, too!

I drank more Water, changed up my exercise routine to focus more on lean muscle building instead of cardio, and did do some intermittent fasting to jump start my metabolism again. If I lost it, I lost it. If not, I was chalking it up to normal "bounce" weight that happens to all of us. I wasn't going to stress about it too much, because I was still under my original goal weight!

Well it took me 3 months, and I'm 1 pound away from my normal maintenence weight again. The further out we get, the more the re gain likes to hold on. It just takes time. Be patient. And if it doesn't want to come off, maybe that's where your body wants to settle? I was ready to accept that, too ;)

About two months ago, I hit 148/49 on the scale after bouncing between 144 and 146 since I hit my goal of 145 last December. Usually being very strict and really cutting all carbs and sugary foods helps, but it hasn't.

I decided to do the five day pouch reset and my biggest glaring issue seems to be low Water intake. So I increased by intake to roughly 72-80 oz the past two days. But I'm finding the scale isn't even budging!

Has anyone had similar experience with Water intake? I'm really upset and discouraged.

My body can't handle that much water...but I drink a lot of tea. If I drink that much water my body retains it and swells me up....but the tea doesn't.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I agree and I understand. My goal is 175 and if I don't reach it...oh well...my lowest was 182. So I know I can get there at least. 4 yrs post op GS...it is what it is. That is one reason I only focus on my daily Protein intake...if i kept a liquid or food diary that is all I would think about all day and everyday. So don't be hard on yourself...roll with it.

Thank you, @@Uniqbtrfly and @@Babbs ! This gives me a lot of perspective.

I've just started going back to the gym for weight training sand am shooting for 3x per week at a minimum. I guess I'm just REALLY afraid of that 150 mark. My PCOS body doesn't seem to handle Water well sadly.

I tried the reset diet to help kickstart a little loss. Someone once told me that more than 2 lbs above goal is concerning, so I guess that also stuck with me.

I know I'm scale obsessive. I weigh myself multiple times in a day and it's a terrible habit.

I've just started going back to the gym for weight training sand am shooting for 3x per week at a minimum. I guess I'm just REALLY afraid of that 150 mark. My PCOS body doesn't seem to handle Water well sadly.

I tried the reset diet to help kickstart a little loss. Someone once told me that more than 2 lbs above goal is concerning, so I guess that also stuck with me.

I know I'm scale obsessive. I weigh myself multiple times in a day and it's a terrible habit.

Throw or give the scale away. That is what I did to break my habit of weighing everday. Now I have some and rarely use it. I use my clothes mostly as a guide and of course at my doctor visits every 3 months.

my body has a propensity to hold Water that quite frankly astounds me. I was on Hctz for years before I developed high bp for edema, that they have never found a reason for. my doctor has me trying to go off it now, and man can my weight fluctuate!

but that being said, keep your eye on the prize. the goal is fat lost. so I have to learn to ignore those up and downs that I know based on other body symptoms are Water, and stay focused on habits that move my fat loss in the right direction. and keep an eye on those symptoms to know if I need to go back on the diuretic.

@@Christinamo7 I use Diurex Max sometimes when I retain spectacularly. Do you do something similar?

You should keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. If you are weight training - it's possible to go up a few lbs. Are you taking measurements? And whoever said 2 lbs above goal is concerning was wrong - you could gain 2 lbs from not pooping one day.

Being this obsessed with the scale is not healthy.

You should keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. If you are weight training - it's possible to go up a few lbs. Are you taking measurements? And whoever said 2 lbs above goal is concerning was wrong - you could gain 2 lbs from not pooping one day.

I must disagree with muscle weighing more than fat. One pound is one pound regardless if it's one pound of fat, one pound of muscle or one pound of pickles. A pound is a pound.

I do agree with not obsessing about the scale! It will drive you crazy !

@@Uniqbtrfly

In my opinion, I need the scale for accountability. Especially in maintenance. My clothes felt no tighter 5 pounds heavier, and if I would have been using how my clothes feel as a guide, my weight could have gone up 7-10 pounds without really realizing it if I don't watch a scale. But that's what works for me. I know other people similar to you who prefer not to use a scale, also. Especially if it becomes an obsession.

I must disagree with muscle weighing more than fat. One pound is one pound regardless if it's one pound of fat, one pound of muscle or one pound of pickles. A pound is a pound.

I do agree with not obsessing about the scale! It will drive you crazy !

You can gain muscle and lose fat - the scale may go up but you will be smaller. post-287902-14710208522335_thumb.jpg

So what you mean is fat has more mass than muscle....