Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

United healthcare Bariatric program

Hi, so I'm new to this site, but I decided back in may I wanted to do wls, when I first talked to my insurance company about requirements I met all of them, so I picked a Dr. and got my consultation date. Then when I was speaking to them about something completely different I decided to ask about requirements again. Good thing I did because the first time I asked they failed to tell me I must do their bariatric program and get surgery at one of their hospitals of excellence. The only problem was there is not one in my state. However they reimburse me for travel expenses. It was just so frustrating because I was excited to begin with my consultation and everything. Now I feel like I'm starting all over again. I'm pretty nervous about having to do it through their program and want to know if anyone here has done United healthcare's bariatric program and how that went for you?

I have United healthcare and they required me a 6 months supervised doctor diet, they approved me within a week after i met their requirements...the only thing is that my insurance went up right before my surgery and instead of paying $1700 i will be paying $4800...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

I have United healthcare and they required me a 6 months supervised doctor diet, they approved me within a week after i met their requirements...the only thing is that my insurance went up right before my surgery and instead of paying $1700 i will be paying $4800...

Oh wow, did your insurance plan require that you get a case manager and go through their bariatrics program?

No case manager and i went through my primary doctor and he referred me to the nutritionist in my same health plan

Okay great thanks for the info!

I also have an option to go with a Centers of Excellence (COE), if I do, my annual deductible is waived (whatever that means). My UHC also requires the 6 months of weight loss visits and whatnot.

At first I was going through True Results but they permanently closed a few days before my 5th appointment. Other than my 5th and 6th appointments I had done everything. My 'case manager' or my nurse through Optum (I was required to sign up and speak to a nurse through my insurance) gave me a list of surgeons I could choose from. When I picked True Results the surgeon was on that list, however I didn't realize he didn't do his surgeries at a COE facility (he has hospital privileges at a COE facility, but didn't do his surgeries there). So when I was forced to find a new surgeon, I was sure to pick one from the 'list' and make sure he does surgeries at a COE facility.

I've been a little aggravated having to switch to a new surgeon in the middle of this process. Not all of my records with True Results was sent...most of them, however my psych evaluation is missing. But I guess it was a blessing in disguise because I wasn't aware that the first surgeon I picked didn't do surgery at a COE. I had a consultation with the new surgeon and I really like him. With True Results I had never laid eyes on the surgeon. Now if I could just get the psych evaluation sent to my new surgeon I would only have one more appointment.

Having to switch surgeons has set me back, I would be having surgery in September...now I'll be lucky to have it before the end of the year.

Edited by ChickenChick

I also have an option to go with a Centers of Excellence (COE), if I do, my annual deductible is waived (whatever that means). My UHC also requires the 6 months of weight loss visits and whatnot.

At first I was going through True Results but they permanently closed a few days before my 5th appointment. Other than my 5th and 6th appointments I had done everything. My 'case manager' or my nurse through Optum (I was required to sign up and speak to a nurse through my insurance) gave me a list of surgeons I could choose from. When I picked True Results the surgeon was on that list, however I didn't realize he didn't do his surgeries at a COE facility (he has hospital privileges at a COE facility, but didn't do his surgeries there). So when I was forced to find a new surgeon, I was sure to pick one from the 'list' and make sure he does surgeries at a COE facility.

I've been a little aggravated having to switch to a new surgeon in the middle of this process. Not all of my records with True Results was sent...most of them, however my psych evaluation is missing. But I guess it was a blessing in disguise because I wasn't aware that the first surgeon I picked didn't do surgery at a COE. I had a consultation with the new surgeon and I really like him. With True Results I had never laid eyes on the surgeon. Now if I could just get the psych evaluation sent to my new surgeon I would only have one more appointment.

Having to switch surgeons has set me back, I would be having surgery in September...now I'll be lucky to have it before the end of the year.

Oh wow that's is a set back! I hope you get all your stuff sent over. I'm just glad I decided to ask about requirements again with my insurance because the first time they said my doctor just needed to be in network, but come to find out I have to have surgery at a COE. The closest is 4 hrs from where I live, and it's inconvenient but I just keep reminding myself how inconvenient it is to be unhealthy and morbidly obese, so it's totally worth the drive! Good luck to you though keep me posted!

Yikes! Mine is only an hour away. I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut ;)

Yikes! Mine is only an hour away. I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut ;)

Lol lucky you, luckily I get reimbursed so it's not all too bad lol

Hi there - I have UHC and was required to enroll in their bariatric resources program through Optum Health as well as use a surgeon at one of their Centers of Excellence. Unlike you, there were about a dozen COEs in my city so I can't speak to the travel aspect however I can speak to the program. I was grateful for the guidance through the insurance approval process provided to me by the registered nurse they assigned me and she played a big part in helping me stay on track with paperwork and required pre-op appointments and testing. I was approved in a few short days after completing all the pre-op requirements and I credit the RN for that efficiency.

Edited by higher

Hi there - I have UHC and was required to enroll in their bariatric resources program through Optum Health as well as use a surgeon at one of their Centers of Excellence. Unlike you, there were about a dozen COEs in my city so I can't speak to the travel aspect however I can speak to the program. I was grateful for the guidance through the insurance approval process provided to me by the registered nurse they assigned me and she played a big part in helping me stay on track with paperwork and required pre-op appointments and testing. I was approved in a few short days after completing all the pre-op requirements and I credit the RN for that efficiency.

That's great to hear! I spoke with my nurse and she seems really good, I'm actually happy to have that extra help from her. It's like added reinsurance that I will get approved, I was definitely nervous about it at first, but I feel more comfortable

I also have UHC. I enrolled in the Bariatric program but I am still completely confused about the out of pocket costs I will have. The nurse has not been very helpful when it comes to that component, and UHC customer service is vague. They keep saying it, "depends on my doctor!" Im thankful I have an appointment tomorrow to discuss these concerns.

I also have UHC. I enrolled in the Bariatric program but I am still completely confused about the out of pocket costs I will have. The nurse has not been very helpful when it comes to that component, and UHC customer service is vague. They keep saying it, "depends on my doctor!" Im thankful I have an appointment tomorrow to discuss these concerns.

I agree uhc is very vague and not helpful. I haven't even thought about out of pocket expenses yet...hopefully it isn't too much. Good luck to you! Let me know what your doctor says!

I agree uhc is very vague and not helpful. I haven't even thought about out of pocket expenses yet...hopefully it isn't too much. Good luck to you! Let me know what your doctor says!

I will be sure to give you a follow up once I leave Dr Chavda's seminar!

I have UHC. Enrolled in the Bariatric resource program. I too have to travel out of state. My surgeon is in Texas and I live in Oklahoma. My employer only requires 3 months of NUT visits. My last appt is 10/07. I'm getting so anxious. I just want a surgery date already so I can quit stressing.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App