Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Orbera insertion next week!

I have a date for my balloon insertion. Next Wednesday! I'm very excited but nervous too. Hopefully I'll be able to manage the nausea and cramping.

I held a balloon at the doctors and I must say, I was surprised how heavy it felt.

Any hints or advice for me? Can;t wait to join you all on this journey and lose this weight and get my health back.

Hi! Congrats on your scheduled procedure date. My date for the ReShape is Sept 9th, so I have been reading all of these boards and taking lots of notes. The only thing that my doc mentioned that I haven't already read on here is drinking coconut Water. Several people have mentioned they drink gatorade initially, however my doc says that's actually an irritant to the stomach. He suggested coconut water because it keeps you hydrated as well as provides nutrients. I personally have never even tried coconut water, but I bought some today to stock up. Good luck with everything!

I think I'm going to use this as a little diary of my experiences with the orbera balloon.

Day 1 - insertion. Lots of waiting around at the hospital which I didn't really mind (rare mum time!). I had a general for my insertion. All went well. They gave me some new anti nausea medication which apparently lasts 3 days. I felt no real nausea and vomited once minimally on the day of the insertion. My only real symptom was i felt gassy to the point of it feeling sore in my stomach. The surgeon said they use gas to open up for the endoscope. That gassy feeling stayed with me all night but I still managed to sleep. I drank my Water and that was pretty much it.

Edited by anewmee

Day 2- slept most the day. Felt MUCH better than I anticipated though. Managed a few tablespoons of broth and runny yoghurt throughout the day. I followed the plan my dietician gave me. No vomiting or nausea. At this stage I feel incredibly lucky but I am starting to feel weak. Early to bed and got a good nights sleep (thanks children!)

The only thing really keeping me together at this point, is my doctors persistence. Im about 5 days out. My doc calls me everyday to check on me and gives me a mini pep talk. Best advice would have to be to make sure to establish a good line of communication with your doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi. I am scheduled for Orbera insertion on August 29. I've been reading this forum and have ordered supplies and made my grocery list and thinking of what I need to do to change my eating habits. I had to negotiate a year's worth of nutritional counseling to go with package I paid for and I called a food behavior psychologist which I will pay for additionally.

Brezzytime678--hang in there. This forum seems like a great support group. I'm skeptical about what kind of support I will get from doc and that's why I did the above. Glad to hear your doc is calling you and giving you pep talks.

NurseJenn422, my doctor's office also said to have children's liquid Tylenol on hand for pain. I don't think I've read that--people have just implied that they will need it for pain.

Another thing I read on realself.com was the recommendation to have your doctor prescribe 3-4 different kinds of anti-nausea meds just in case one of them doesn't work. Has anybody experienced any resistance to their anti-nausea meds? I saw recommendations for patch even before procedure.

I've also read that people are experiencing gas issues. Are you guys experiencing that? Are you taking anything and if so what?

I live in a small town and things aren't always readily available so I'm trying to prepare.

I had the behind the ear patch, emend, and zofran. Didn't have any problems with any of them so far. Zofran made me sleepy but it did what it was suppose to. Now at 5 days out I'm not taking them anymore. My nausea is at a minimum, just my bloating and reflux is a bit bothersome. But nothing compared to the psychological aspect of it all. Like I had mentioned in my other posts the balloon is not to be underestimated as far as will power and mental strength is concerned. I cannot tell you how important it has been for me to have a good line of communication with my doctor. I called her just a few hours ago crying, panicking, and she took the time to talk me into a good place. Even gave me an rx for some Xanax if needed. If I didn't have that support from my doctor I would have already had it taken out. You seem to have all the stuff you need covered as far as Meds, and foods, and all that. I also noticed I start feeling awful when my blood sugar gets low so I keep apple juice around too. I do not have diabetes and I'm 29 y/o so I wasn't in bad shape to begin with just needed to do this to help me with a boost to live a healthier lifestyle. I keep telling myself it's going to be worth it.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot about the Xanax. My docs office included that too. I don't have apple juice on my list though. That seems important for the low blood sugar.

You're younger than me. I'm 43. I'm preparing myself mentally that my age and that I'm aiming to lose 30lbs that I won't see the dramatic weight loss that others have seen. Do you think you've lost weight even though you are bloating?

Glimmer120 so far id say I'm down about 6-7 lbs. I too am aiming for a 30 or so lb weight loss. I think depending on where you start weight wise may contribute to your success. I started at 5'5 173lbs bmi 28.8 so technically my procedure was considered "off label" I tell myself probably a hundred times a day I CAN do this. I was at this weight before I had my son at 23 y/o and even got close to it about 3 years ago. Then the weight just piled on up again the last few years do to laziness and lack of motivation, depression, etc... You can do anything you set your mind too, especially if you really want it. I watched my mothers bad food and smoking habits catch up to her with heart disease and ultimately take her life at 61 y/o and I don't want to be that way. She suffered from the anxiety and mental illness like me so I think that's why she never went through the gastric bypass which her doctors had recommended to her. I see more than ever now it is important to take hold of these issues with our health sooner than later. Don't mentally prepare negatively! You are your best cheerleader! Be optimistic and positive.

Hi Everyone!!

New to this forum. I too am interested in Orbera. I have y first consultation tomorrow morning. I have been on the thin side all my life until 3 yrs ago. I had a terrible divorce and started nursing school. In those three years i went from 148 lb to 204lb. I have tried everything but I quit it all bc I want to see results fast as I am so use to seeing before. I hope this procedure will kick start my good habits again. I would love to hear any success stories.

Brezzytime678--you're right. My outlook is not positive enough. It's something I need to work on to make sure this procedure works for me in the long run. I already called the psychologist who interviewed me at the bariatric clinic to see if I could see him regularly during the next 6 months to a year to adjust my behavior towards food/weight. We talked a little bit about my mental block during my consultation for the balloon.

I too am using it off label. My BMI is 27.4, but I have been concerned because I have gained 20 lbs in the last 4 years. I also suffer from anxiety and depression and have received counseling for those. I feel better but I need something to jumpstart the weight loss.

seeing that you are doing well now, I'm hopeful that I CAN do it, too. It's really been helpful reading the posts on these forums.

I am scheduled for my balloon on 8/29 in Tijuana with dr. Ponce de leon. I too am excited and nervous, but I feel better about this than the gastric sleeve.

Glimmer120 it is nice to meet some one who is also a "off labeler" like me. Yesterday I started feeling better and today I am feeling much better for the most part. Not quite a 100% or "normal" but better. I am so happy to hear you are going to be taking care of your mental health too. Sometimes I think we forget how important that is.

You are going to do amazing, and just the fact that your setting your self up for success awards you so many opportunities to really learn from this experience. It's only been a week and my whole outlook has changed when it comes to food. I'm learning what real feelings of hunger are... It's really quite crazy.

You have so much support here for you too!! I'll keep you in my prayers!

I am one month in. I get no support from my doc. After the first two days I called him requesting the patch, I had to remind him of who I was and which procedure I had!! Whaaat??? The weight is coming off very slowly, sometimes I feel discouraged but I do have a ton of family and friends support. They remind me it isn't about the number instead it's about health. I am 55, still play volleyball and am very active. I started at 226 and after a month I am st 216. The only problem I have now is cramping. Best of luck to you!

So I'm a week down and have lost 4 kilos (8.8 pounds). I'm very happy with that. It's been an interesting week. I can't feel my balloon, have no nausea, no reflux and I wouldn't know it was there!

Strangely, I feel hungry. Not head hunger or cravings but hungry. I wasn't expecting that but I'm so determined to lose the weight that I'm sticking to the program anyway!!!!