Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Random Thought/Question

I'm one month post op and something has really been bothering me this past month. For months before surgery I did so much research. I was on these boards every day, talked to people who have had surgery, etc.

My main reason for choosing the sleeve over any other surgery was because I felt like I wouldn't really have any food restrictions and more of portion restrictions (after the first 6 months of course). After surgery I'm encountering many posts about people who cannot eat 1 cookie or 1 square or chocolate because it will make them sick. That really scares me!

I'm not saying that I want to eat these things all the time but if it's my birthday yes I want to have a small piece of cake, maybe even a few bites. The few people I know that have had the surgery still eat whatever they want but in very small portions. Protein first, veggies, then carbs with the occasional junky food once in a blue moon.

Is this not reality? Was I misinformed?

I want to be able to live life like a normal person without feeling like I have 183 food restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm one month post op and something has really been bothering me this past month. For months before surgery I did so much research. I was on these boards every day, talked to people who have had surgery, etc.

My main reason for choosing the sleeve over any other surgery was because I felt like I wouldn't really have any food restrictions and more of portion restrictions (after the first 6 months of course). After surgery I'm encountering many posts about people who cannot eat 1 cookie or 1 square or chocolate because it will make them sick. That really scares me!

I'm not saying that I want to eat these things all the time but if it's my birthday yes I want to have a small piece of cake, maybe even a few bites. The few people I know that have had the surgery still eat whatever they want but in very small portions. Protein first, veggies, then carbs with the occasional junky food once in a blue moon.

I want to be able to live life like a normal person without feeling like I have 183 food restrictions.

Everyone is different. Some people get sick eating a lot of sugar, some people don't.

Personally, sugary foods (like cake) don't really appeal to me any more. I am over a year out and have had a small cupcake, an occasional cookie, etc. but it isn't really something I crave.

For me, once I got sugar and starches out of my system, I really haven't craved them. If I do eat sugar though, the cravings can come back.

Nothing is forbidden on my diet. That alone makes me less likely to eat the junk. Giving myself permission to eat whatever I want has been the single most important thing this surgery has done for me. I feel like I'm finally on my way to healing my relationship with food.< /p>

Nothing is forbidden on my diet. That alone makes me less likely to eat the junk. Giving myself permission to eat whatever I want has been the single most important thing this surgery has done for me. I feel like I'm finally on my way to healing my relationship with food.

I agree with you there.... not having forbidden foods really helps take the pressure off... i feel it teaches you to make good choices for yourself, not having someone dictate them for you.

I feel that if i was told you are never to have x,y,z.. i would probably rebel and crave it so much more... but this way i know i can have it in moderation but CHOOSE not to.... that is exactly what i need to make a long term lifestyle change.... this is for life, and sometimes in life you will want a small piece of cake or a bread roll... denying myself or completely eliminating an entire food or food group is not healthy in my opinion (psychologically).. that for me would bea set up for failure.. i would feel deprived!

Nothing is forbidden on my diet. That alone makes me less likely to eat the junk. Giving myself permission to eat whatever I want has been the single most important thing this surgery has done for me. I feel like I'm finally on my way to healing my relationship with food.

I agree with you there.... not having forbidden foods really helps take the pressure off... i feel it teaches you to make good choices for yourself, not having someone dictate them for you.

I feel that if i was told you are never to have x,y,z.. i would probably rebel and crave it so much more... but this way i know i can have it in moderation but CHOOSE not to.... that is exactly what i need to make a long term lifestyle change.... this is for life, and sometimes in life you will want a small piece of cake or a bread roll... denying myself or completely eliminating an entire food or food group is not healthy in my opinion (psychologically).. that for me would bea set up for failure.. i would feel deprived!

Well said!

It's funny, I always thought when I got pregnant (before surgery) that I would gain a ton of weight because I could have an excuse to binge... I'm eating for two, it's pregnancy cravings, the baby wants it, etc.. I only gained 25 pounds (a perfectly healthy amount), and it's because I basically gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted without guilt, and the need to binge was suddenly gone. After the pregnancy when I needed to get back on the wagon, I started bingeing again, put on 40 more pounds, and then obviously got the sleeve.

My point to that long story, is that the same feeling of giving myself permission to "cure" my binge eating that I had while I was pregnant is how I feel now (I'm almost a year post op). Food doesn't equal stress. Life is so much better when I'm not OBSESSED with food!

I too have tolerated everything I have eaten after the first month. Sugar, ice cream, chocolates and all.. I just don't eat it the way I used to. Thank God I hate pizza or anything cheesy. Today I filled my lunchbox with some rice, thinking I will eat a bit of it for lunch at work along with the chicken breast. I turned around and dumped it back in the pot and sliced some cucumbers for myself. I can totally live without rice and have no desire for it so why should I stuff my face with it??

I tried two sips of 7 up the other day and I could feel the bubbles in my stomach.. I used to drink a 591 ml within an hour.. Imagine the damage that must have done over the years..

You ever test your sleeve out on something you've been craving to see if you can tolerate it even though its forbidden from your diet? I have... and it was a terrible guilty feeling followed by dumping syndrome..... First time trying regular food... and its most definitely the last time for a WHILE

Sent From Galaxy Note 5 using the BariatricPal App

Sounds like you really didn't tolerate it if you experienced dumping.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

When we play stupid games.......we'll win stupid prizes.

What is a fun way of eating cottage cheese??

I throw that nasty stuff in the garbage.

Cottage cheese disgust me for some reason.

Hurl factor is high just thinking about it.

There was a thread awhile back asking people about their favorite way to have cottage cheese and my answer was absolutely in the trash can. I took a beating for it, too. WHOOOOOOPS!

I would say I agree with you, but I'm scart.

I chose the sleeve for exactly the same reason. I wanted to be as close to normal as possible. As luck would have it, my body no longer tolerates psasta, rice, cream based soops or (gasp!!) ice cream. Ice cream was my favorite thing in the world -- for real -- and now it makes me dump. It's horrible.

But you know what's interesting about that? I no longer want it. It does not appeal to me any more so I don't miss it. I can have one or two small spoonfuls if I really want, but after that, my tummy says it's coming back. I have a taste of ice cream from time to time out of habit more than anything. It's an amazing thing to say I just don't want it.

I don't mind my food restrictions a bit.

When we play stupid games.......we'll win stupid prizes.

What is a fun way of eating cottage cheese??

I throw that nasty stuff in the garbage.

Cottage cheese disgust me for some reason.

Hurl factor is high just thinking about it.

There was a thread awhile back asking people about their favorite way to have cottage cheese and my answer was absolutely in the trash can. I took a beating for it, too. WHOOOOOOPS!

I would say I agree with you, but I'm scart.

I added it to my shake once. I can't even eat it plain anymore. So so disgusting.

On the other end of the spectrum......I've never had dumping sensation. I can eat anything I could before.....I just prefer not to.

Once I've been weeks without eating sugar my preferences really narrow. I want nothing to do with it. 1,000 consecutive Dairy Queen commercials could play and I"m not the least bit interested.

If and when I do have something high in sugar it feels weird....unnatural. A bit jittery. 30 mins later I have cravings that take a day or two to go away.

Sugar is dangerous for me. Best avoided. Almost never missed.....unless I actually have it. Cycle of stupidity for me.

Since living post-op, I find that I much prefer some cold blueberries or grapes if and when I want something sweet. I don't have the cravings afterwards. It's a nice treat and one that does't create issues.

Breads, oatmeal, Cereal and etc has a similar effect that sugary stuff does.....just not as intense.

I simply feel better when I avoid it.

Well said!

It's funny, I always thought when I got pregnant (before surgery) that I would gain a ton of weight because I could have an excuse to binge... I'm eating for two, it's pregnancy cravings, the baby wants it, etc.. I only gained 25 pounds (a perfectly healthy amount), and it's because I basically gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted without guilt, and the need to binge was suddenly gone. After the pregnancy when I needed to get back on the wagon, I started bingeing again, put on 40 more pounds, and then obviously got the sleeve.

My point to that long story, is that the same feeling of giving myself permission to "cure" my binge eating that I had while I was pregnant is how I feel now (I'm almost a year post op). Food doesn't equal stress. Life is so much better when I'm not OBSESSED with food!

The thing that I remember, so that I don't feel regret and guilt if I DO make a bad choice, is that if we were all sooooooooooooooo perfect and had 'forbidden' foods, then surely we would have been so 'on track' in life that we wouldn't have been obese at one stage.

I think it's fab that some people have 'forbidden' foods, but I do notice some will mention that they don't have carbs, they'd never touch bread and something like a cracker is just out of the question. I just do not have this approach and maybe it's because I am not perfect, and I feel that eating a balanced diet is key to my happiness and weight loss. Also, some people's forbidden foods are on my list of what to eat to be healthy, from my nut and surgeon! Australia, where I am, seems to be much more relaxed in the food plan area than US surgeons. Not sure why I think that, but just really from what I have read here. My nut messages me to say no, of course you shouldn't avoid carbs, just do Protein first.

@@missblonde20

I agree, i think we (in aust) in general doctors are more focused on balance.... eating to live and enjoy food, whilst losing and maintaining... also one thing i did noticed during my many trips to the states is how big everything was! I can understand why some people who live there would need to eliminate eating out, everything is huge!

Eg. I noticed that the small sized coke for macdonalds is our large!... one slice of pizza would be equivalent to 3 here...

My point being... if we "cheat" it doesn't seem so bad... but at those portions.. i can understand why cheating would be considered bad...

To me, when i went to the states, everything was supersized and super sweet!

Do you guys in the states notice the huge portions? Or is it just noticable to us internationals?

I too had numerous trips to the States through my work.

I remember ordering a salad, and it was served in a bucket size bowl! My Australian friend who moved to LA, just said :"it's ridiculous, isn't it?"

Huge meals, huge Desserts, huge drink containers, yes supersized and super sweet.

Great tasting junk food.

I remember bringing back pop tarts few times, and some honey pop corn and other stuff ...

@@Dub

I too am now mindful of sugar, as it sets a craving for me, and I don't want to over-indulge in slider foods, so I avoid them.

I too love berries, like blueberries and blackberries with a rock melon or honey dew. Great tasting dessert and much better for me than ice-cream or frozen yoghurt.

So far I have not binged on the berries :)

And I don't think I ever will.

So, I am commanding the Sugar Demon to stay away!

I've always hated cottage cheese but was hopeful my new taste buds would accept it. Sounds like maybe not.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App