Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Children share in parents weight loss?

My husband and I are both morbidly obese. We are both planning to have wls. Our youngest son (3 years old) is also overweight. I know it's because we feed him portions that are too big (yes, we are working on this). I have consulted with his pediatrician about his weight and they just want to keep an eye on it. What I'm wondering is if anyone has seen their kids also start to lose weight. Like the whole family benefits from the lifestyle change?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using the BariatricPal App

I wouldn't be concerned about your son -losing- weight at that age, unless he's extremely obese. As you model and provide better food choices and exercise opportunities for your son, he should start slimming out. At that age he may stay the same weight as he grows in height and muscle mass.

Both of my kids are petite, but my husband consistently loses weight when I am watching what I eat. I may only be "in charge" of one meal a day for my husband, but he starts making better choices and taking smaller portions when I do. Pre-op I lost 35lbs, and my husband lost 15-20 during the same time period with minimal effort.

I do suggest you have occasional, planned treats for your son so he doesn't rebel and pig out on forbidden foods when you aren't around.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have 4 kids and 3 of them are overweight. I am 8 months (I think?) out from my surgery so let me share my experience. I have noticed a few things

(1) It has helped to educate my kids on food, because I have had to educate myself

(2) I don't eat any carbs- so we almost never have Pasta or anything and I don't have those things in the house- so they don't eat them

(3) Because I am so aware of how little I eat now (or how much I used to eat) I am AMAZED at how big portions are. I have gotten rid of all of our dinner plates, and we only eat meals on saucer size plates. this has helped!

Now one negative- because a lot of times I only have a Protein shake or beef jerkey- it also can be easy to just grab the kids fast food or make them something easy. Don't fall into that trap :)

Good luck :)

I was curious about this too. I have a six year old that is overweight and my two adult kids are overweight but my 12&15 year olds are bean poles lol. So it will be a good thing for my six year old I think. She's definitely becoming more conscious of healthy vs. unhealthy foods and points it out when I tell her what's for dinner lol.

none of my children are overweight at all. I still have 3 of 7 at home - but I will say they are eating healthier foods. A lot more Protein, which is good. I don't think my two youngest teenage girls were getting enough Protein before.

so I know it will improve your son's choices and his future.

Dreamable makes a really good point about it being easy to fall into the fast food trap for the kids. My family had a lot of fast food the first month after surgery. Now that I can eat more normal food, I'm cooking again (though I eat less than my 2 year old!)