Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not tolerating protein shakes

What's wrong with me? I haven't been able to tolerate Protein Shakes, even a vegan one. Has anyone else had this problem - bloating, upset stomach, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, Migraine? ? from Protein shakes? What am I to do????

32 ounces of 1% milk fortified with 1 cup of dry milk provides 56 grams of Protein.< /p>

@@trinalily

Are you drinking shakes with lactose in them? I had a lot of the same results the first couple of weeks. I found I had to move to a lactose free shake. I went to premier Protein ready made shakes and that problem went away for me.

Sometimes I still wonder if it was the whey Protein. I no longer have lactose intolerance unless I eat a lot of dairy at one time but I don't.

@@James - how does this taste and do you mix a whole batch at once or break it down ?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The fortified milk can be broken down throughout the day.

8 ounces of 1% milk plus 1/4 cup of powdered dry milk provides 14 grams of Protein.

After surgery, I became lactose intolerant. If I drank milk, within minutes my stomach began to rumbled and I had to make a quick trip to the bathroom with diarrhea. This condition lasted for a couple months and then went away. So it is possible that you have become lactose intolerant and some Protein shakes contain lactose. But your other symptoms do not seem to fit: nausea, vomiting, Migraine.< /p>

Protein is extremely important after surgery. It is important that you continue to experiment until you find a Protein shake that you can tolerate. You don't need to like it, only tolerate it. So experimentation is the key.

I am pre surgery and found that Protein shakes make me extremely ill - they don't stay down no matter what I did. The dietician suggested switching to vegan/vegetarian Protein Powder. She felt it might be an allergic reaction to the animal Protein. It worked you could try it and see if it works for you

What was the vegan powder you used. I am having issues that I am pretty sure connected to the whey protein but not sure what to switch to.

@@trinalily

Are you drinking shakes with lactose in them? I had a lot of the same results the first couple of weeks. I found I had to move to a lactose free shake. I went to Premier Protein ready made shakes and that problem went away for me.

Sometimes I still wonder if it was the whey protein. I no longer have lactose intolerance unless I eat a lot of dairy at one time but I don't.

What's wrong with me? I haven't been able to tolerate Protein shakes, even a vegan one. Has anyone else had this problem - bloating, upset stomach, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, Migraine? ? from Protein Shakes? What am I to do????

Have you tried Protein powder that does not have artificial sweeteners?

Sent from my LGLS992 using the BariatricPal App

I use the unflavored powder. Borderless, tasteless. 21gr of Protein. I have Unjury (I buy the canisters it's lots cheaper than the packets) but there are other brands.